Youtube Amp videos

chromeboy

Reaction score
Is it me or are some of these YouTube videos on Amps kinda dumb? These so called metal heads can't even play any kinda solos and only talk about chugging. I can play bar chords all day long and play drop tuning all the time but, playing in a band ( which a lot of these youtubers aren't even in) where all you play is rhythm would be boring to me. Where are all the guitarists who can actually play? Some of these youtubers have a ton of gear and seem to think they are the experts on guitar tone. It's rediculous. It's like when I was in high school and my real rich friend had a Marshall stack and a real nice les Paul but couldn't play for shit. I don't know but it would be nice to see someone who can actually play reviewing amps and not only for rhythm but also for solo tones.
Also there has been one guy ( name withholding) who has bashed the new evh iconic saying it sounds like crap. Well considering that the amps name is after a soloing monster and not a metal head, it doesn't surprise me when this one guy said it didn't chug.
Well Eddie wasn't a chugger and was a soloer. Ola Englund reviewed it and he made it chug as well as some others. I think the amp sound great. Wish I had the extra cash to get one.
Anyway, does it bother anyone else that some of these youtubers reviewing amps are horrible players?

Eric'45

Reaction score
To be honest, it bothers me more when somebody just twiddles around at lightspeed, instead of showing rhythm and melody. I'm not a shredder, mainly because I don't want to be one, and a good Riff or an interesting Rhythm gives me more than the twiddly twiddly stuff.
Ultimately, I don't watch Amp demos, because I want to see amazing players, but because I want to get an Idea how an Amp sounds -for Lead and Rhythm.

You have a point in that most Amp demos are quite Metal-centric these days. I'm a Metal fan, but I love 70s Hardrock and Bluesrock just as much.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it me or are some of these YouTube videos on Amps kinda dumb? These so called metal heads can't even play any kinda solos and only talk about chugging. I can play bar chords all day long and play drop tuning all the time but, playing in a band ( which a lot of these youtubers aren't even in) where all you play is rhythm would be boring to me. Where are all the guitarists who can actually play? Some of these youtubers have a ton of gear and seem to think they are the experts on guitar tone. It's rediculous. It's like when I was in high school and my real rich friend had a Marshall stack and a real nice les Paul but couldn't play for shit. I don't know but it would be nice to see someone who can actually play reviewing amps and not only for rhythm but also for solo tones.
Also there has been one guy ( name withholding) who has bashed the new evh iconic saying it sounds like crap. Well considering that the amps name is after a soloing monster and not a metal head, it doesn't surprise me when this one guy said it didn't chug.
Well Eddie wasn't a chugger and was a soloer. Ola Englund reviewed it and he made it chug as well as some others. I think the amp sound great. Wish I had the extra cash to get one.
Anyway, does it bother anyone else that some of these youtubers reviewing amps are horrible players?
The last times I had watched amp demos, would be prior to purchasing one, and I also want to hear how it sounds in all modes of playing.
Mitch

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Agreed. That's why I hate Ola Englund's videos. It's all "chugga chugga chugga" crap. I generally want to hear two things in an amp video:

1. The lead/solo tone
2. The rhythm/power chord tone

Other pet peeves are:

1. I hate play-along "demos." Excuse me, but it's not much of a demo of the amp if you're playing along with a recording. I don't want or need to hear the amp in a band context. I just want to hear the amp itself.

2. Mismatched equipment for the demo. "Today I'll be demonstrating the new Ballcrusher Demonic Mega Poundage 500-watt tube amp with seventeen gain stages. So here, let me whip out the trusty old TELECASTER."

3. Shitty recording quality. Why demo a $3000.00 amp using your five-year old iPhone to record? At least do the amp justice.

4. Recording everything with effects processing. "Today I'll demo the new amp from _____. I'll be running a Boss GT1000 in the loop, and in front I'll have an overdrive, a chorus, a delay, a wah, a flanger, and a coffee maker." If they want to show how well it takes pedals, that's fine. But let me also hear the amp on its own.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well Eddie wasn't a chugger and was a soloer.

Are his initials by any chance "LT?" If so, he's an idiot.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amp demos should be taken with a grain of salt. They never seem to fully cover the scope of what an amp can do anyways. The demo guy may have it set in a manner you would totally rearrange thereby totally changing the amps sound. Best demo you could ever have is having the amp in your jam room at your disposal. This way is the only way you will really know.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Shitty recording quality. Why demo a $3000.00 amp using your five-year old iPhone to record? At least do the amp justice.
Youtube is generally not the place to really judge a sound. I use said demos to get a rough idea how an Amp sounds. I would never really purchase any piece of equipment just based on what I hear on the Tube. I try to test it first-hand, preferably with my own Guitar.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Youtube is generally not the place to really judge a sound. I use said demos to get a rough idea how an Amp sounds. I would never really purchase any piece of equipment just based on what I hear on the Tube. I try to test it first-hand, preferably with my own Guitar.

I've found that if there's a decent selection of videos for a given amp, I can get a very close idea of the actual sound. Not always, but usually close enough to let me know if I want to pursue it or not.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had been out of playing for about 16-17 years. And when I wanted to get an amp , it had to be a Marshall, came across a 3210 and had never heard of it, caught a few clips on YouTube, and sealed the deal.
The Dsl40c was what brought me here.
But I also prefer to play the amp first before I put down the cash.
Cheers