You're a skilled Technician with a Vintage Modern on the bench . What do you do ?

ken361

Reaction score
If you have old amps they are great no doubt but Robin Trower Beck Slash Aldrich Paul Gilbert dug them
Trowers quote
From Guitar Player online, August 17, 2011:

"Have you ever considered using your old Marshalls or Uni-Vibe?"

"Never, I’m not really into vintage stuff. I find the new equipment to be much smoother sounding. My Fulltone Deja’Vibe sounds as good as an old Uni-Vibe, and it’s more reliable and quieter. I can’t be messing around with stuff that breaks down. I’ve been using Marshall Vintage Moderns since they came out, and I truly feel that they are the bestsounding amps Marshall has made since the early days. Overdrivers with Marshalls—it’s the same formula I’ve always used, but the gear has gotten better."

Kelia

Reaction score
If you have old amps they are great no doubt but Robin Trower Beck Slash Aldrich Paul Gilbert dug them
Trowers quote
From Guitar Player online, August 17, 2011:

"Have you ever considered using your old Marshalls or Uni-Vibe?"

"Never, I’m not really into vintage stuff. I find the new equipment to be much smoother sounding. My Fulltone Deja’Vibe sounds as good as an old Uni-Vibe, and it’s more reliable and quieter. I can’t be messing around with stuff that breaks down. I’ve been using Marshall Vintage Moderns since they came out, and I truly feel that they are the bestsounding amps Marshall has made since the early days. Overdrivers with Marshalls—it’s the same formula I’ve always used, but the gear has gotten better."

I think Fuller made a good job for the Dejavibe but for me it's not exactly as organic compared with the real thing but close, a Sabbadius Fillmore East is it imo.
Denis Rozon who has built amp switchers for the big names measured a VM chassis once in front of me and said that it would never
be an outstanding amp and the chassis readings was one of the reasons but this is tech stuff that I don't understand . He also mentoined the ( Hook Effect ) on some printed circuit boards that makes an amp artificial sounding but again , this is beyond my knowlegde.

Last edited:

Exotic

Reaction score
but doesn't robin trower sound not so great? ask yourself ,what would Van Halen 1 sound like with modern marshalls ,don't mess with perfection .

tschrama

Reaction score
schematic?
What is your problem with the tone now?
What direction do you what to get the tone to?

Kelia

Reaction score
schematic?
What is your problem with the tone now?
What direction do you what to get the tone to?
Will finally forget buying this amp and enjoy the ones I have now that are awesome !
The problem I had with the VM is that it's not warm sounding enough and more on the artificial side.

ken361

Reaction score
I think its near perfect with warmer preamp tubes and playing alone loud and sitting 15 feet away. Standing its perfect. If I was jamming with a band it would cut through just right. I mean does that 80S just right and has just right amount of gain. My little 800 is a little less bright which is nice the VM is more full and dynamic!! Most say its there best amp since the jcm 800. Last time I had a 50 head was the jvm which was finicky so I had to roll a bunch of tubes.

ken361

Reaction score
Will finally forget buying this amp and enjoy the ones I have now that are awesome !
The problem I had with the VM is that it's not warm sounding enough and more on the artificial side.
What speakers were you using

Kelia

Reaction score
What speakers were you using
Used all the good ones , G12C, G12H Pulsonics, G1265's . 80's G12T-75's White Label , G12 Vintage etc...
Don't get me wrong , never said the amp is a bad one but it's lacking warmth .
There's a reason you can get them under 1K , if they would be the best thing since sliced bread , they'd be around 2K

ken361

Reaction score
I usually run the detail maxed for gain and bite and body at 3 o'clock for fullness I haven't played with bias yet it might be a bit hot though. The dsl being preamp distortion sounds better on the cooler side.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Fuller made a good job for the Dejavibe but for me it's not exactly as organic compared with the real thing but close, a Sabbadius Fillmore East is it imo.
Denis Rozon who has built amp switchers for the big names measured a VM chassis once in front of me and said that it would never
be an outstanding amp and the chassis readings was one of the reasons but this is tech stuff that I don't understand . He also mentoined the ( Hook Effect ) on some printed circuit boards that makes an amp artificial sounding but again , this is beyond my knowlegde.
I think your tech's full o' shit.

jeffb

Reaction score
I'm a skilled tech?

I would have built my own amp.

For morons like me- I take the Vintage Modern- get the amp biased correctly with the right tubes, get the right speakers and cab, Plug it in- dial in with my ears instead of my eyes, and crank the bassturd up.

If this sounds bad, then I don't want to sound good

Kelia

Reaction score
I think your tech's full o' shit.

Nope ! Just sent him an email for him to send me his document on this, might take a while but will get back.
He is an electronic engineer that invented the JD-7 amp switcher for radial and designed lots of stuff for them like the ABY's , Tonebone's , Boost's etc..
He also made stuff for Eric Johnson and others and now designs 200K Hiigh End amplifiers for an Audio Firm .
Last time I brought him an amp was my 1989 2205 and when I got it , I phoned him immediately after trying the amp and said ,
'' Damn '' ! how come the amp is so quiet suddenly !? he replied , ''Because I fixed Marshall's mistakes !

ken361

Reaction score
Leone
I'm a skilled tech?

I would have built my own amp.

For morons like me- I take the Vintage Modern- get the amp biased correctly with the right tubes, get the right speakers and cab, Plug it in- dial in with my ears instead of my eyes, and crank the bassturd up.

If this sounds bad, then I don't want to sound good

Leon Todd has some good accurate tones from these amps he loves it.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope ! Just sent him an email for him to send me his document on this, might take a while but will get back.
He is an electronic engineer that invented the JD-7 amp switcher for radial and designed lots of stuff for them like the ABY's , Tonebone's , Boost's etc..
He also made stuff for Eric Johnson and others and now designs 200K Hiigh End amplifiers for an Audio Firm .
Last time I brought him an amp was my 1989 2205 and when I got it , I phoned him immediately after trying the amp and said ,
'' Damn '' ! how come the amp is so quiet suddenly !? he replied , ''Because I fixed Marshall's mistakes !
I am always willing to learn, looking forward to the info.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I will say that a VM is the only "modern" Marshall that might hold my interest. They can do the 1959 thing quite well, and then some. I'm just not a fan of their construction or needless complexity.

Reaction score
I've done moderate circuit tweaks to my VM, mostly to try extract more gain & reduce the muddiness of the body control. I've heard that sticking a set of KT88s in the power section can really improve things. Haven't tried it myself but apparently it gives the amp a more EL34 like character.

Kelia

Reaction score
I am always willing to learn, looking forward to the info.
Nice ! That's cool of you Anitoli ! Denis replied saying he had this in a PDF file somewhere amd will look for it when he gets a chance.
He told me back then that some circuit board material like an old Hiwatt didn't have this Hook Effect but some cheaper board material will have
this and it will be very hard for the amp to sound good . When he says good , he means on another level good !

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one in October really digging yeah its bright at times
Wow, I think the VM is one of the 'dullest' Marshalls I've ever played. IMO/IME the 'detail' should be used exclusively, with the 'body' dialed way back (I always have it set to 0), even with single coils

Latest posts