Your Wah

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Sg-ocaster, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

What Wah do yous guyses like?? And why?
    I have an older USA made Vox v847 Ive modded it for True Bypass and did the "vocal" and Input gain resistor swaps.....I allways felt the Voxes had more sweep than a Crybaby. True bypass was a MUST for me as I HATED the bypassed/buffered tone. The Input gain and vocal mods were just something I tried and ended up liking.....also tried altering the Q but decided I liked stock best....havent tried an inductor swap.
    Ive tried Crybabys and even an old Thomas Organ crybaby.....meh....And a 60s Vox Clyde McCoy that is my benchmark for Wah....instant Hendrix. Tried a Morley and it was OK sound wise but the treadle made me feel like I was gonna lose my balance when I put it toe down....and I dont like the idea of having no pot(potentiometer...not dealer out of town and down to one bud, no pot:eek:)
    Never tried a Teese that could be interesting. And a Fulltone Clyde sounds interesting also.....but me thinks I'm happy enough with my Vox.
    Anyways what do you like and why?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. dodona

dodona New Member

what ' the "vocal" and Input gain resistor swaps' do you mean?

3. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

One resistor increases the input gain and the other made it more Vocal in its wah,ing. They were mods on a site I found, with descriptions of each mod and I tried a couple mods that sounded like something Id like..I did them a few years ago so Id have to open it up and see exactly what resistors and to what values I changed them to......anyways.....in short I changed 2 resistors.

4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i like the dunlop Zakk wah. its more throaty than most if not all other wah's.
    plus it has tension adjustment as well. i hate a wah with those ice pick highs.

bullhead, Derek S and Ray Baker like this.
  5. Ray Baker

Ray Baker Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I have three Dunlop's, Cry Baby, Jimi Hendrix Cry Baby and Zakk Wylde. I use the Zakk Wylde the most and the Jimi second. I hardly ever use the standard Cry Baby. I like the Zakk Wyled because it seems to have more "Wah" over the entire sweep.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  6. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

For cocked wah jamming EHX cock fight is really cool. You get the same "spot" every time.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  7. tonycaster

tonycaster Active Member

I've played with vox, crybaby and Jimi Hendrix and I can tell you that RMC (especially the RMC3) are the best wah pedals on this planet: tweakable and sounding just like a good wah should

8. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I usually use an auto wah feature, but for certain things I'll take out the wah pedal. Though I don't own all of these wah pedals anymore, these are the ones I liked the best over the years.

1) Digitech wah (built-into RP250 multi-effects unit); many customizable parameters/features.

2) Line 6 wah (built-into Floor Pod Plus multi-effects unit); great customizable features

3) Morley (not sure about the model but it's one of the first basic optical wah pedals)

4) Morley/Steve Vai Bad Horsie (original model though the current version is very impressive)

5) Dunlop/Dimebag Darrell Dimebag Cry Baby wah.

6) Dunlop/EVH Wah

9. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

Have an older Fulltone Clyde with Fuller’s signature on the back in Sharpie. Good sounding wah, built like a tank. Has a wide sweep though, so if you’re used to the shorter travel of a Cry Baby or Vox it takes some getting used to.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  10. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I love this pedal (I also have the English Muff'n and the Cathedral as in the demo video, and the combination of the three is killer):

I also have this one:

11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I got a Dunlop Crybaby a million years ago and havent looked back since, didnt realize there were such a large variety of them, I cant imagine what the real differences would be and why I would need another one. :shrug:

Crikey likes this.
  12. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Vox 847s for the past 25yrs.

13. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Old crybaby I've had forever. I use a 535Q.

14. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I had a Dimebag wah and the thing had surprisingly amazing tone. I sold because I hardly ever use it, but if I ever start gigging I'll need another wah and haven't made up my mind as to what I'll get. I kind of want a mini because they take up way too much on my board. I've thought about an auto-wah but where's the fun in that?

15. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I have an RMC Wizard. I really like it. It's the best sounding wah I've ever owned. I like how vocal and throaty it is.
    [​IMG]

16. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

yes. it has a bit less highs and a bit more lows. i cant believe more people dont use these.
    the tension adjustment should have been a standard a long time ago.

17. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I use and like the Ernie Ball wah!!

18. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I'm like a few others I see as I also just knew what I liked ages ago and stuck with it. My search ended many years ago with the BBE Ben Wah. True Bypass, sweepable mids, sounds great, takes a beating (still using my original purchased one), simple.

Crikey likes this.
  19. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

I have Dime bag wah but rarely use it, Krik Hammett put me off lol

I did have Zakk Wylde one as well but I lost it with my other stuff,when storage guy sold my stuff.

20. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

My favourite is an early 70's Vox Wah on the base it has 250.049. It has white piping on the base and a red fasel inductor. This for me gives instant Hendrix which is the benchmark for how a Wah should sound. It works great with fuzzes. I was taking this out quite a bit and decided to rest it and bought one of the hardwired Vox's which is pretty decent. I also picked up a Vox re issue of the Clyde McCoy which when working is also good.I bought this one on e bay for £40 after seeing favourable reviews in Guitar Player magazine. They were comparing it to the 'Real McCoy' Wah's. My favourite on the Helix LT is the RMC model, really good. I found this sounded better than using my old Vox into the effects loop of the Helix.

Crikey likes this.