Your thoughts on this 68?!

God of Thunder

Reaction score
Here is a later 1968. Wanted to get everyones thoughts on it! I'm planning on picking this one up so I'd appreciate any thoughts! Please and thank you!

K3cURmJh.jpg

f4PTX6Lh.jpg

gFFHyLoh.jpg

xXHF4Rlh.jpg

dmWQH4Eh.jpg

VY03OGwh.jpg

fuXvviAh.jpg

C6M99qnh.jpg

FgXuBwLh.jpg

playloud

Reaction score
Looks very nice to me!

Could be a '69, with those filter caps up top. Mine has those green Hunts 22nf coupling caps too, and is a '69.

neikeel

Reaction score
As per our other discussions but the other thing that I am not sure of is the rating of that impedance switch, looks a bit like a couple of flimsy plastic ones I have here that are ok for lightweight duties but maybe not OT output handling?

stickyfinger

Reaction score
That Lorin switch for impedance is the same one Ken Fisher used on Trainwrecks. Ken wired the poles in parallel and it looks like on this 68 orange jumper wires are used (hard to tell for sure though) to half the current. I use these switches on my Trainwrecks and haven't had them fail.

junk notes

Reaction score
Best guess, indications of early 69.
What are all the date codes on all three Mullard caps? I see C3N on one. Other two?
Head's serial number?
That insulation paint looks darker Red than usual, but?

Top side images? Transformers, choke..

neikeel

Reaction score
Best guess, indications of early 69.
What are all the date codes on all three Mullard caps? I see C3N on one. Other two?
Head's serial number?
That insulation paint looks darker Red than usual, but?

Top side images? Transformers, choke..
Those are all correct. Good idea on paralleling the output selector wires. The grey marcon caps were associated with late 68.
Where is @TAZIN when you need him?!

TAZIN

Reaction score
Those are all correct. Good idea on paralleling the output selector wires. The grey marcon caps were associated with late 68.
Where is @TAZIN when you need him?!
The OP contacted me via private message and I gave him my input. Anyhow, I'm thinking mid February 1969 based on the green HUNTS signal caps in combination with the white colored link wires. From what I've seen, Marshall started to have an issue with acquiring hookup wire in the colors they normally used around the middle of February 1969. So, as work stations ran dry of certain colors they substituted new colors to take their place. This is why you see amps from the beginning of March 1969 with blue & red heater wire instead of the normal black & red. In addition, this is why you see the use of the violet colored link wires replacing the normal pink wires in amps built around mid March 1969. With the introduction of the violet wires, the assemblers switched the Treble pot feed wire & the NFB wire; both which were normally violet, to white to curb wiring mistakes.

As for the Marcon filter caps...True they tend to show up mainly in 1968 amps, but they were used in some of the earlier 1969 amps as well. As mentioned before, Marshall seemed to receive their filter caps in small groups which RS supplied based on what ever they had available at the time. This is why you see different brand names & values used in groups of amplifiers produced at a certain time.

God of Thunder

Reaction score
I’d like thank everyone here for looking. I did place a deposit in this amp and will have to sell a few amps to get this one. It’s celebrity owned and there’s a hefty premium. I look forward to sharing photos once it arrives!

Latest posts