Your Thoughts On Inflated Marshall Used Prices

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
None of these old classic amps is going to get any MORE common. A few will become lost to us every year, whether by destruction-by-modification, house fire, fire at the gig where the amp was left overnight, or tossed in the trash by elderly parents who have absolutely no clue that sonny boy's old guitar amp has substantial value.
.........stuff removed.........

I once, in the mid 80s, bought a silverface Fender Champ at a pawn shop for 75 bucks. And I never thought it'd have ever been worth more than that.

Well...as an investment it would have grown more in relative value than any other amp I've ever owned. I've seen them go for 600 and more. Which I think is silly, because
their tone is absolutely nothing to write home about.

Elderly parents? More like our kids know it’s worth something so they sell it at the first pawnshop for 10% when we are too senile to argue.

Also, those black/silver champs sounds pretty good into an old Celestion. But how good? I swear I saw a pretty 65 vibrochamp sell for $900 in 24 hours Just a month ago. Crazy.

dan46n2

Reaction score
I wondered why policies and customer service fell greatly. Etsy. Wonder who that is?

$35K on the VH4 lmfao.

My son had Peter custom build a Blue Face for him in 2011. Damn fine amp!

I saw a post 1984 horizontal input that Jose Arredondo & EVH looked at. It appears stock to me. $100,000 on Reverb. Marked down from $200,000 just wow!!! Foolish BS.

David

I read of some other people having issues with Reverb lately, banning accounts that left bad feedback, changing feedback... Well since I posted this they put my account on "review" after I get a clearly damaged item. I've have spent thousands there and had no issues before Etsy took over. I emailed them and told them to basically kiss my butt, that speaker cab was the last thing I'll ever buy from there as long as the same people still own it. Ebay and forums look like its the way to go for gear now.

Now isn't the time to buy, the prices are ridiculous anyway... I was looking at adding a 2203 JCM 800 to a 50 watt I already have, most are over 3x what I paid for mine not that long ago... no thanks lol

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I read of some other people having issues with Reverb lately, banning accounts that left bad feedback, changing feedback... Well since I posted this they put my account on "review" after I get a clearly damaged item. I've have spent thousands there and had no issues before Etsy took over. I emailed them and told them to basically kiss my butt, that speaker cab was the last thing I'll ever buy from there as long as the same people still own it. Ebay and forums look like its the way to go for gear now.

Now isn't the time to buy, the prices are ridiculous anyway... I was looking at adding a 2203 JCM 800 to a 50 watt I already have, most are over 3x what I paid for mine not that long ago... no thanks lol

I am so sorry to hear of your horrible experience with Reverb. It appears they are using the eBay excuse of “Abusive Purchaser” to shut down accounts.

That is the problem with buying a $2000 electronic item vs a pair of shoes.

David

trax1139

Reaction score
The prices are whatever the market will bear. And that market is usually controlled by buyers with disposable income, nostalgic value, etc. For example, I’m a JTM45 guy. No way I could afford an original 66 JTM, so I bought a new reissue about 3 years ago. $2000.00 if I remember right. It was OK but, I eventually sold it still craving that original performance. So, I just ordered and received a new Germino JTM45 and BINGO...there it is!
$2500.00 not 4 or 5 grand.
I also bought a new Marshall 1987x reissue...didn’t do anything for me. Paid somewhere around $2000.00 for it too. So maybe the newer reissues aren’t all that...which increases the interest and prices of the old amps.

Attachments

• ACA36B53-0674-4615-9F09-8B4E46BC32CD.jpeg
    ACA36B53-0674-4615-9F09-8B4E46BC32CD.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 4

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
The prices are whatever the market will bear. And that market is usually controlled by buyers with disposable income, nostalgic value, etc. For example, I’m a JTM45 guy. No way I could afford an original 66 JTM, so I bought a new reissue about 3 years ago. $2000.00 if I remember right. It was OK but, I eventually sold it still craving that original performance. So, I just ordered and received a new Germino JTM45 and BINGO...there it is!
$2500.00 not 4 or 5 grand.
I also bought a new Marshall 1987x reissue...didn’t do anything for me. Paid somewhere around $2000.00 for it too. So maybe the newer reissues aren’t all that...which increases the interest and prices of the old amps.

All of the Marshall reissues with loops are prone to issues as it uses a hum balance pot that explodes in some as I have seen 7 exploded models come across my bench but the larger issue is that in order for the loop to operate it needs 30VDC.

This is done by using a 10 watt 47k fire proof resistor that drops 400+ VDC down to 30VDC.
Energy dissipates as heat do this resistor gets as hot as a EL34 but sits a 1/4” off of the PCB.

David

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
Last night I was looking at asking prices on JTM60/JCM600s. The low end is around $550, and the high $800. That's double the prices from 10 months ago in October, and they have steadily risen since around March. The good news is that there are many more for sale now, and not selling as quickly as before. Perhaps people are in need of cash because of the COVID-19 induced recession. Even so, I think they either have some type of emotional attachment to their amps, or are unrealistic in their greedy expectations of their worth. Hopefully, supply vs. demand economics will adjust the market before too long because I need another one.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Last night I was looking at asking prices on JTM60/JCM600s. The low end is around $550, and the high $800. That's double the prices from 10 months ago in October, and they have steadily risen since around March. The good news is that there are many more for sale now, and not selling as quickly as before. Perhaps people are in need of cash because of the COVID-19 induced recession. Even so, I think they either have some type of emotional attachment to their amps, or are unrealistic in their greedy expectations of their worth. Hopefully, supply vs. demand economics will adjust the market before too long because I need another one.

It could be.

I am starting to think guys are raising prices because owners of the JMP/JCM 800’s have inflated.

There is a 1989 year 1987 model JCM 800 which has the less popular PCB with the board mounted pots. It has been up for sale several months at $1400.

Well now it increased to $1600 lmao.

“Trends” I believe. No thank you.

David

malice95

Reaction score
I would think the consequence of rising used marshall prices just means more clone builders will step in. Ceriatone currently has a 12 week wait on new orders. Nik says they are working 6 days a week with crazy overtime. I look at used 2203's on reverb.. 1800-2k+ which is just stupid. Hell even Marshalls brand new prices have gotten dumb. 2203x = $3k at sweetwater.

When I buy a 2203.. it'll likely be a brand new clone.

trax1139

Reaction score
I would think the consequence of rising used marshall prices just means more clone builders will step in. Ceriatone currently has a 12 week wait on new orders. Nik says they are working 6 days a week with crazy overtime. I look at used 2203's on reverb.. 1800-2k+ which is just stupid. Hell even Marshalls brand new prices have gotten dumb. 2203x = $3k at sweetwater.

Brand new Germino JTM45

Attachments

• DC9A5F3E-DF9C-43CF-87CA-3ADD15DA9742.jpeg
    DC9A5F3E-DF9C-43CF-87CA-3ADD15DA9742.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

But it isn't a Marshall....................

vtrain

Reaction score
But it isn't a Marshall....................

I totally understand where that comes from, but to me, if Jimi Hendrix didn't hump it, it's just an amp.

Someone posted on Reddit today a photo of their Ceriatone JTM in a shell with a Marshall logo on it. The logo was also misaligned, which made it only seem worse. I cringed but refrained from commenting.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Jesus god not this worn out line of crap again.....................
Cool so now I don’t have to touch a guitar I can just emanate sound from my fingers? Who would’ve thunk ?

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Damn, were 4001s always nearing $1,000+?

I swore I recall seeing them for $500-$600 not too long ago. I would really love to add one to the line up but damn... That's kinda crazy prices for an old yet somewhat "classic" amp. I don't think I'd be interested anymore at those prices, would love to have one tho!

malice95

Reaction score
I despise people that try to pass off their non-Marshall amps and/or cabs as authentic, as if doing so somehow inflates their egos.

I have a Ceriatone being built now.. 1959 clone with a million extra switches. Its coming Silver outer shell with a black front/back. I'll probably toss a Marshall logo on it because it will be sitting in a stack of actual Marshalls I own. If asked about it, I'll be HAPPY to brag its a Ceriatone clone that I got a hell of a deal on compared to an actual Plexi.

I agree on idiots of actually try to pass fakes to others as real, but if its for fun or looks.. why not, Its my amp. Hell, I made a plexi Silver and Black:)

I get.. "but its not a Marshall", but I don't play the logo. I'm good with clones as long as they have "that sound".

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
A year ago you could buy a Bogner Fish preamp when they came up, for no more than $2200.

Now some guy from down under wants nearly $3600 for the same preamp today.

BS! lmao... I guess his woman is trying to make him sell it and he figured out how to keep it. lol

David

Last edited:

Latest posts