Your Thoughts On Inflated Marshall Used Prices

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I realize now that everyone for the most part must pay tax when purchasing a used Marshall JMP or JCM 800 from Reverb or Ebay.

It seems to me that inflation is far too much. I realize I’m an amp is worth whatever one is willing to pay for it but for some of us the stock circuits are useless unless you put a pedal in front of it then you lose the low end and gain a lot of hiss.

Even what I referred to as rescue Amps that have already been modded and not necessarily in a good way as additional holes have been drilled in the face and back panels are going for ridiculous amounts. By that I mean $1800-$2500 and even higher.

Not off into the weeds but there is a horizontal input version which is a totally different, planar layout on the printed circuit board that apparently Van Halen had looked at or touched LOL and the asking price is $100,000.

I realize there are those of you that prefer a stock amplifier and there are those of you that prefer an amplifier that has been modded for high gain in a professional manner. I am interested in everyone’s opinion about the inflated prices regardless of stock or modified for professional use by guitarists such as George Lynch, Steve Stevens, Reb Beach, Richie Kotzen, Steve Vai… Etc.

Thanks for your input, David

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of the speculation about gear deals getting good with the expansion of the "virus" didn't come to pass.
People aren't giving stuff away and it's pretty easy to figure out what stuff has been selling for and what you may expect to get realistically any way. It all boils down to let the market decide. If it's overpriced it will sit forever. It's all a matter of what someone wants, how badly they want it and at what price. I would love to have a 1959 SLP but not for $3000. I'll take half of that buy a 2203x and a 6100 and be even happier.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
All of the speculation about gear deals getting good with the expansion of the "virus" didn't come to pass.
People aren't giving stuff away and it's pretty easy to figure out what stuff has been selling for and what you may expect to get realistically any way. It all boils down to let the market decide. If it's overpriced it will sit forever. It's all a matter of what someone wants, how badly they want it and at what price. I would love to have a 1959 SLP but not for $3000. I'll take half of that buy a 2203x and a 6100 and be even happier.

I agree. And to prove my point in my OP I’m not sure that you could buy a 2203X for $1500 which is half of the $3000 you speak of. This is exactly my point. Thank you for responding Anitoli.

David:cheers:

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. And to prove my point in my OP I’m not sure that you could buy a 2203X for $1500 which is half of the $3000 you speak of. This is exactly my point. Thank you for responding Anitoli.

David:cheers:
Actually i did last fall. $1500 shipped in great condition and it had this Levi #34 mod done to it ( there was writhing on the shielding in the headcase) and it sounds really mean. I am a satisfied man. I haven't taken the time to figure out what exactly was done to it but maybe someday.

DerekLicon

Reaction score
If anything, the COVID thing has made amp prices escalate, and the used market more dried up. Last year Guitar Centers used amplifier section was absolutely brimming with really cool cheap amps, I saw like Diamond amps and Madison and B-52's and Rectifiers and Blue Voodoos and random weird Peaveys and Marshalls, now its like everything is gone and prices for more legendary stuff generally is kinda crazy (5150 going for more than 700+ sometimes hitting 1000+ for script 5150's)

That and everyone and their mother (including me) are posting videos of old 90's underrated amps on you tube and such like the XXX and realizing how good amps that were previously hated really are! It doesn't help that Marshall is selling JCM 800s for 3000$ new and the JCM 900 reissue for 2500$, so the original JMP and Plexi style amps are just going to increase, that and the fact that Ceriatone and Freidman amps and other Marshall type amps are making the originals even more sought after. IMO.

pedecamp

Reaction score
If anything, the COVID thing has made amp prices escalate, and the used market more dried up. Last year Guitar Centers used amplifier section was absolutely brimming with really cool cheap amps, I saw like Diamond amps and Madison and B-52's and Rectifiers and Blue Voodoos and random weird Peaveys and Marshalls, now its like everything is gone and prices for more legendary stuff generally is kinda crazy (5150 going for more than 700+ sometimes hitting 1000+ for script 5150's)

That and everyone and their mother (including me) are posting videos of old 90's underrated amps on you tube and such like the XXX and realizing how good amps that were previously hated really are! It doesn't help that Marshall is selling JCM 800s for 3000$ new and the JCM 900 reissue for 2500$, so the original JMP and Plexi style amps are just going to increase, that and the fact that Ceriatone and Freidman amps and other Marshall type amps are making the originals even more sought after. IMO.
Yup just the opposite is happening than what I thought was gonna happen, prices are skyrocketing and stock is dwindling. I suspect because people typically sell what they have to buy something else, nobody is buying anything therefore nobody is selling, hence the inflated pricing right now. People are keeping what they have, no selling or buying of any nature is going on right now.

Right before this covid thing I thought $1300 was too high for a JMP 1959 and let it go, now Im sorry I didnt jump on it! Its gonna be a long time before I see that price again if ever.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

Really interesting you pointed this out but I completely agree. My local guitar centers look naked and bare inside, both new and used stock. The walls of used guitars are almost empty and piles of used amps now nothing but a few old Peaveys etc...

Weird times.

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of people are freaked out that the BUG is gonna get them and they're hiding out, not going anywhere, not going to GC or FedEx/, UPS.... Maybe that's another part of the reason why the used market is drying up and the prices are skyrocketing.

Otoh , my Sweetwater rep says his business remains brisk. That stands to reason.

junk notes

Reaction score
I do not blame you or anyone for this train of thought. Yes, these are strange times indeed. An abyss of things. Many, many people do no realize that tens of thousands are completely off the workforce with respective reasons why... Living on unemployment checks bi-weekly, where these unfortunate people had six figure positions. People are just unemployed.
Besides the political and media muse, I can give several more standpoints, but the prices are reflecting that.

Way of life and how it is conducted has irreversibly been modified.

Kelia

Reaction score

Now I think David should do a Covid-19 mod , this one will be remembered and go up in value over years ! ......and for all the Evil Heavy Metal players , why not inverse the name and call it the
91-Divoc mod :D

67mike

Reaction score
I have spent close to $ 10,000 on gear since this covid started......second last thing I bought was a 2204 halfstack. I am pretty happy with the prices I have paid.....they definately are higher than last year, but....not too bad.

Ps.....they arent making any more of the classic amps...so just like real estate....they tend to appreciate.

Exotic

Reaction score
here's my take ,prices on ebay and reverb way too high yes .
i don't pay those prices ,yet i have 2 marshall heads and 3 marshall cabs with custom speakers .how did i get my stuff at way lower prices? first of all i take my time like at the flea market ,marshall 4x12's eventually pop up . and if u have to buy right away ebay is insane ,because the seller puts all the extra costs on the buyer ,ebay fee ,paypal fee ,bank fee ,shipping etc etc . but if u search by lowest first eventually u will find someone that is desperate to sell something that is in need of repair ,like my jcm 800 signed by tommy chong ,i paid 670 because it wasn't running ,all it took was new tubes(2) ,some tiny little resistor or something and a new power switch ,and the usual cleaning of the pots to bring it to life .sure 9 months later had to change the caps .
the cabs i paid 80 for a 4x12 ,small version with avt speakers in it ,220 for a 1960bv with marshall vintage speakers in it .
152 on ebay for a jcm 900 (auction) with g12t'75's in it .
and i searched lowest first for a jcm 900 without the tolex and missing the back panel,600 bucks ,i paid like 50 for a panel .i don't use distortion boxes ,i don't like how they sound ,i find my 6 band eq gives me the extra distortion i crave .

IMG_2765 (Phone).JPG

Last edited:

Travis398

Reaction score
it's real......

But even if you build an amp the parts are getting expensive also, let alone the labor.

I had an old Plexi that I brought to an amp tech when I was a kid. I never got that amp back, then it was like $300 so whatever.

Now I wish I had that amp.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of people are freaked out that the BUG is gonna get them and they're hiding out, not going anywhere, not going to GC or FedEx/, UPS.... Maybe that's another part of the reason why the used market is drying up and the prices are skyrocketing.

Otoh , my Sweetwater rep says his business remains brisk. That stands to reason.

I have made many investments.

The requested work has not slowed down at all. Not one bit. And that is what I find curious as people have money to spend to have an amp modified yet others want a 33% increase for their holy grail LMAO.

I do believe it is the economics. Most still working away and laid off have it tough. I took a tough road early in life and at 50 started collecting three very comfortable pensions plus my fiancées two pensions.

Everyone must think we are head as I teach my children to be smarter than the average bear. I should get off in the weeds and make it about house and have nots. As a terrible time for all Americans and our nation and the constitution.

Doesn’t change the fact I’m not going to pay 2000 fucking dollars for $1400 amp.

Yes, I’m affective at bargaining. If someone wants to hang onto their “$3500” 1974 SLP, outstanding.

David:applause:

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
here's my take ,prices on ebay and reverb way too high yes .
i don't pay those prices ,yet i have 2 marshall heads and 3 marshall cabs with custom speakers .how did i get my stuff at way lower prices? first of all i take my time like at the flea market ,marshall 4x12's eventually pop up . and if u have to buy right away ebay is insane ,because the seller puts all the extra costs on the buyer ,ebay fee ,paypal fee ,bank fee ,shipping etc etc . but if u search by lowest first eventually u will find someone that is desperate to sell something that is in need of repair ,like my jcm 800 signed by tommy chong ,i paid 670 because it wasn't running ,all it took was new tubes(2) ,some tiny little resistor or something and a new power switch ,and the usual cleaning of the pots to bring it to life .sure 9 months later had to change the caps .
the cabs i paid 80 for a 4x12 ,small version with avt speakers in it ,220 for a 1960bv with marshall vintage speakers in it .
152 on ebay for a jcm 900 (auction) with g12t'75's in it .
and i searched lowest first for a jcm 900 without the tolex and missing the back panel,600 bucks ,i paid like 50 for a panel .i don't use distortion boxes ,i don't like how they sound ,i find my 6 band eq gives me the extra distortion i crave .

View attachment 76775

Agreed. Don’t get me wrong I still find great deals. I just like to be able to pass the savings onto others after I’ve done what I wish to do to them. That is to say modify.

David

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I think a lot of folks are seeing this lockdown as an opportunity to get in a bunch more playing time that they may not see again for a long time. :fever: They bite the bullet and buy what they really want and if they lose a little in the long run, oh well, fairly cheap rental for gettin' yer yah-yahs! :naughty:

I just bought a pristine, Ampeg SVT Classic head and not so pristine 810 box to go with it. I bought it so that any bass player who comes by is capable of getting that great sound that absolutely enhances my guitar sounds! Tell you what! A good player with a great P-Bass, into an all tube SVT is the greatest sounding "effect pedal" I've ever owned! It fills all the right tonal holes and leaves all the right spaces for great guitar sound, although it sure can get LOUD! What a beast! It doesn't hurt that I fairly stole the rig! I won't divulge the insane price, but here's pics of the head and top end of the cabinet:

IMG_0493.jpeg IMG_0495.jpeg

jchrisf

Reaction score
With the government propping the economy up with a ton of money printing and giving.. the dollar is going to be worth a lot less.. Inflation will skyrocket
Lookup Money go BRRRRR
tenor.gif

US Debt Clock: Real Time
https://www.usdebtclock.org/

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I don't think "the covid thing" in general has made used amp prices escalate in some areas; by itself, one thing (used amp prices) has nothing to do with the other (pandemic). Prices have held steady for new amps during the pandemic, so it stands to reason that used prices should remain fairly consistent pre-pandemic. But it's the "stands to reason" part that I think is the issue at play.

If prices on used amps are inflated, then it's most likely people's greed and price gouging at work. Additionally, the people selling on the used market usually do little to no significant/credible research when pricing their gear, which also leads to inflated prices.

If you have any time to waste, try pressing the selling into justifying/explaining his/her listed price (if it seems inflated to you) and most of the time you'll probably get a salesman's pitch rather than any hard facts such as listed prices (or final amount paid) for similar items at auction houses and/or at the very least listed prices for similar used items from dealers like Sam Ash, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, MusiciansFriend, etc.

As a buyer, I could care less if an amp is "limited edition" or whether it was made for someone famous. All I care about is it's the right make and model, sound quality is good, the general condition of the amp, the total hours for all tubes currently in the amp, which are somethings I tell the seller at first contact. For example, if the total hours for tubes are too high, I'm low balling; if the amp originally came with a footswitch but now it's missing, I'm low balling; if the amp has been modified, I'm low balling (I don't care for the "upgraded" sales pitch); if the amp has significant wear and tear; I'm low balling. I'm not saying an amp like this is a piece of shit, but in my opinion it's probably not worth the asking price and I can back up my low ball offer with all these points.

It's up to the buyer to be informed and make a good decision. If in doubt, just walk away.

Latest posts