Your opinion about 4x12 vs 2x12 cabs !

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Hi !
In my 30+ years of playing always 4x12 cabs, I have always missed "mids" in my sound....Lately listening to other Guitarists like Joe Bonamassa, I noticed he split his 4x12 into 2x12 and using EV-L for his Marshall amps. I tried it with the Ownhammer Marshall 1966 2x12 cab loaded with EV-L and it does sound different. I can hear the less "colouring" aspects of the EV speakers compared to V30 & Greenback. I play all kinds of styles and low-medium gain sounds.

I have to say it is a close call for me between the EV-L and the V30 with my Marshall Silver Jubilee amp
Of course the Clean clips will show less differences than the Overdriven sounds

Very curious to hear your opinion / experiences !

Eric'45

Reaction score
You have a Point here- especially with an oversized 2x12 you have more room around the Speakers as with a 4x12. That will of course have a difference in sound. I don't play in a Band currently, so I still own only one 2x12. (Orange PPC212 with 2 V30s). I have played 4x12s before, and my Orange is not that far behind in terms of 'fullness'. I think generally having more than one speaker already makes all the difference. I'm considering getting another PPC212, so I have a Halfstack that can be split in 2 pieces basically.
And some great playing from you, BTW.:cheers:

junk notes

Reaction score
Using JB as an example for comparing is that he absolutely loves Fender cleans to go with his dirt and that is reflectiong tn the speakers used and not just the amps he uses..:2c:

Crikey

Reaction score
Hi !
In my 30+ years of playing always 4x12 cabs, I have always missed "mids" in my sound....Lately listening to other Guitarists like Joe Bonamassa, I noticed he split his 4x12 into 2x12 and using EV-L for his Marshall amps. I tried it with the Ownhammer Marshall 1966 2x12 cab loaded with EV-L and it does sound different. I can hear the less "colouring" aspects of the EV speakers compared to V30 & Greenback. I play all kinds of styles and low-medium gain sounds.

I have to say it is a close call for me between the EV-L and the V30 with my Marshall Silver Jubilee amp
Of course the Clean clips will show less differences than the Overdriven sounds

Very curious to hear your opinion / experiences !

Nice playing.
Respectfully, its more than likely your hearing has slipped a bit in certain frequencies.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score

Deftone

Reaction score
Great tones, great playing, great recordings, and interesting thoughts.

Just so you know the 1966 2x12 is probably a model number. It's a 2x12 version of the 1965 model 4x10 cab. They are more portable so they made and good looking 1/4 stack for small gigs with a small box head. There was a Silver Jubilee version back in the 80's too.

https://reverb.com/item/4507836-marshall-1966a-2x12-cabinet

https://reverb.com/item/245214-80-s-marshall-1965a-4x10-cab-w-celestion-g10l-35-s

Love that 1966 cab.

I have a Sourmash 2061 cab (oversized 2x12, V30/G12H30) that sounds really good. Compared to my Avatar 2x12 (2x G12T75's) which is much more compact, the oversized 2x12 sounds much fuller. I think the Avatar 2x12 was supposed to be paired with another 2x12 to make a stereo 4x12, like the ADA 2x12's from the 90's

I also have Marshall 1960 Vintage A & B cabs as well as a Mesa Half back. (all V30's) The 4x12's move a lot of air.

I really like them all. Huge fan of the oversized 2x12 and 4x12 cabs. Love switching heads, cabs and speakers.

If I had to get rid of anything, I'd say the small Avatar 2x12 first maybe, and replace it with a 1966 or another 2061 oversized 2x12.

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
You have a Point here- especially with an oversized 2x12 you have more room around the Speakers as with a 4x12. That will of course have a difference in sound. I don't play in a Band currently, so I still own only one 2x12. (Orange PPC212 with 2 V30s). I have played 4x12s before, and my Orange is not that far behind in terms of 'fullness'. I think generally having more than one speaker already makes all the difference. I'm considering getting another PPC212, so I have a Halfstack that can be split in 2 pieces basically.
And some great playing from you, BTW.:cheers:

Thanks a lot , appreciated ! Yes, my experiences too when I was playing with 3 4x12 cabs W/D/W rigs for 20+ years....other guitar players 2x12 sounded always bit less deep / heavy....BUT they were sitting quite well in the mix whereas my guitar with 4x12 was bit fuller and bit back.....I hear that same thing now also when using 2x12 Speaker Impulses....so doubting which way to go ...and between the V30 and EVs...;)

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Using JB as an example for comparing is that he absolutely loves Fender cleans to go with his dirt and that is reflectiong tn the speakers used and not just the amps he uses..:2c:

Thanks man, just saw some days ago Joe's studio recording where he posted a Fender amp next to his Marshall stack.....BUT also saw him playing sometimes with only the marshall stack and sounded killer, the same as where he played with only his fender Twin amps : amazing.....!!

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Nice playing.
Respectfully, its more than likely your hearing has slipped a bit in certain frequencies.

Thanks man !
Well, I did play 20+ years with real cabs and when I stopped doing that, did a hearing test and all was fine.....after that only In Ear Monitors and hear all the frequencies even when I am in others studio at mixing, mastering sessies...I luckily hear some very high fine details....so, no loss of frequencies here ;)

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I love 4x12s most of all cabinets for their openness. But not open back cabinets.

And...EVs definitely are colored sounding speakers. It's just not the same coloration as you get from a Celestion of any kind.

I happen to consider the EVM-12L as one of my favorite speakers. In fact if I could only have ONE type for all purposes, it'd be the EVM-12L.

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Great tones, great playing, great recordings, and interesting thoughts.

Just so you know the 1966 2x12 is probably a model number. It's a 2x12 version of the 1965 model 4x10 cab. They are more portable so they made and good looking 1/4 stack for small gigs with a small box head. There was a Silver Jubilee version back in the 80's too.

https://reverb.com/item/4507836-marshall-1966a-2x12-cabinet

https://reverb.com/item/245214-80-s-marshall-1965a-4x10-cab-w-celestion-g10l-35-s

Thanks man , good to know ...I play only with Speaker Impulses for the last 10+ years and only know what the IR producer writes about it. To me the feel & sound is more important than playing through a 4x12 or 2x12 cab idea.......Oeh, That Silver Jube can look very sexy I guess....It already looks killer with a 4x12 Jube cab :)

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Love that 1966 cab.

I have a Sourmash 2061 cab (oversized 2x12, V30/G12H30) that sounds really good. Compared to my Avatar 2x12 (2x G12T75's) which is much more compact, the oversized 2x12 sounds much fuller. I think the Avatar 2x12 was supposed to be paired with another 2x12 to make a stereo 4x12, like the ADA 2x12's from the 90's

I also have Marshall 1960 Vintage A & B cabs as well as a Mesa Half back. (all V30's) The 4x12's move a lot of air.

I really like them all. Huge fan of the oversized 2x12 and 4x12 cabs. Love switching heads, cabs and speakers.

If I had to get rid of anything, I'd say the small Avatar 2x12 first maybe, and replace it with a 1966 or another 2061 oversized 2x12.

Thanks man and YES, I also experienced the same when playing with real 4x12 cabs...that amount of air is something special...never felt it when standing in front of other's 2x12.....BUT usually their sound through FOH was sitting better in the mix !

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
I love 4x12s most of all cabinets for their openness. But not open back cabinets.

And...EVs definitely are colored sounding speakers. It's just not the same coloration as you get from a Celestion of any kind.

I happen to consider the EVM-12L as one of my favorite speakers. In fact if I could only have ONE type for all purposes, it'd be the EVM-12L.

Totally true and my experience as well....nothing beat the feeling of real 4x12 cabs....
I play only In Ear now and moving air is not the factor anymore....Stereo and sitting in the mix and everywhere I walk : the same Guitar sound ;)

I do hear clearly in my video and tests at home that the EVs color less than other speakers....BUT I also like the sound of the V30 with my Silver Jubilee so I need to try both still a bit more....perhaps use them together :)

Latest posts