Your main tonal ingrediment

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Vinsanitizer, Nov 15, 2021.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

Well, he did say ," Your "

I might've said ,the amp in general , because it not always a Marshall. I'll say it this way , an amp that make's everything sound like it's supposed to sound. I can't get it out of just any amp, but there are those few that can prety much do the trick ,right outa the box

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I still get a laugh and chuckle out of that several weeks later -brown tone- potty humor :eddie:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  3. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

You have a few already!!

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes I do , and I am still wanting to grab another !!
    Thanks

5. Spyderg0d

Spyderg0d Member

My gibbies with 57 classics with a slight "n" on my 10 band before amp. The 1960v cab. Haven't found an amp that sounds bad yet with those.

6. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

Ears, Gear, and the knowledge via experience of how to select the appropriate combination of gear, route the gear, and dial it in, to hit the target of the moment

7. Marcomel79

Marcomel79 Well-Known Member

I once told my friends little brother that i used egg white pn the neck to make it smoother and better sounding(i was 18...) thinking that hed get it was bs. Well, needles to say, next time he saw me he was real pissed....

8. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with electric guitar is that the tone you play on its own is usually completely something else to the tone that fits in the mix. From muck to gold and gold to muck. The alchemy of sound together as opposed to apart. I think the bottom line is you really need to play with other instruments and singers to know if your rig sounds how you want to sound.

9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I still think that the way I set my rigs up work very well in a mix, but I can be proven wrong ..
    Thanks

10. TheToneDig

I would hope for the best of both worlds also. However, I also know that many guitarists have that look of shock on their faces when the studio engineer turns their Bass to 0, and mids up and gain halved. I also know a few sound engineers who experience a quick look of shock on their faces when the guitarist wanders over and fiddles with the amp's dials on what was a whole morning spent finely-tuning it before the session.

El Gringo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. Spyderg0d

Spyderg0d Member

I mix my rig exactly how it fits in the mix. I play to extremely loud music system to do exactly that. My crunch channel sounds high and fizzle, to bass and drones at the same time and my cleans are picky when standing alone. Exactly how the professionals sound on those amazingly mixed tunes. Haha

Mitchell Pearrow and Ufoscorpion like this.
  12. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

You got to have the sizzle , some just don’t get it .

13. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

oh no... :erk:

Ah, the beauty of re-amping. Have them set their "tone", then you can re-amp later to an actual workable tone that will work in a mix so you can blend it in to make up for any deficiencies.

Mitchell Pearrow and TheToneDig like this.
  14. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Wel, Eric can talk all day long about "tone is in the fingers", but his rig is pretty elaborate..No plugging straight into a Marshall for him!

Which is cool IMHO. I've loosely based my own rig on Eric's..Although I can'y play like Eric!

As far as a single component as per the OP, I would say my distortion pedal.

Which is, you guessed it, a B.K. Butler Tube Driver, same as the one Eric uses! :naughty:

15. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

16. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Studio engineers may or may not be good at getting certain tones..I've read stories about Jimmy Page having it out with engineers over not turning up faders, ect. Not saying they don't know what they're doing, but they tend to sometimes be a bit arrogant and narrow-minded when it comes to certain things.

Other guitarists in bands can be a PITA as well..I used to work with a guitarist who would always want to screw around with my amp settings whenever we did a gig..He wasn't worried about me sounding bad, he was worried about someone else in the band possibly making HIM sound bad! He was one of the biggest egomaniacs I ever worked with.

I finally told him to leave my effin' amp alone..If he wanted to twiddle with knobs he could go twiddle with his own!

17. TheToneDig

How about Lars Ulrich telling the sound engineer to go minus several dB on Jason Newsted Bass track for the entire album of Metallica's "...and Justice for All."

DaDoc likes this.
  18. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

A soundguy once came on stage to mess with our amps. He wasn't really doing much, I guess he wanted to see what the amps could do? I don't know. He came to my amp (which I wasn't too happy about), but let him do his thing. I realized he was fiddling with the other channel which I wasn't using. He fiddled a bit, then looked at me while I was playing, and I gave him a thumbs up and put a face that implied "wow, that sounds good now" :D

19. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

Eric is out there but nobody knows enough to disagree with him lol. the guy has pedals, sideways,
    some ran off wall power while others off battery, some flipped upside down. all to his ears makes
    a huge difference he says. i dont see how but ok Eric we are listening.

20. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

JVM410HJS.

Say no more.