Your first guitar rig.

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by anitoli, Sep 26, 2020.

1. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So what did you have? LP Custom, 1959 or something else?
    I came into the guitar world from the bottom up. Living under crushing, oppressive poverty forced me to become very resourceful while being a royally cheap cock. This first rig was a total $15 investment, $15 for the ax, $0 for the reel to reel. I was a dumpster diver in my youth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plug in crank up the record, deal with the 1/2 second delay and you were there. The strings were so high you could have used it for a crossbow but hey there was ZERO string buzz so my tone was cleaner than a virgin's...you get the point.

So later that year i had an economic boom. Harvest showed up and i picked potatoes for a fuckin month. After my overlord mom made me spend 98% of my profit on shit i didn't want such as underwear i still had enough cash to move into the big time. A quick trip to the pawn shop i scored these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total rip off for that day, $30. Once i started playing this pro grade gear i knew it wouldn't be long before i got laid. Tone was incredible. I read somewhere in Guitar player that i made Blackmore so nervous so he did an interview and totally dissed my ass first. Ruined my career he did. :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Member

Being poor myself growing up I had to learn to make due, so I didn't have a traditional setup. My 1st guitar was a used from the pawn shop $100 beat up plywood HH Cort Performer with 6 point trem from the 80's. My amp was a 70's-80's wood cased Kenwood home hifi receiver/amplifier I already had. I used a Rocktek Distortion pedal and I would run that and my guitar into the front Mic input on the amp. The Speakers were 2 MTX Terminator 8" auto subs w/3" mids and 1" horn tweeters mounted in old hi-fi floor speaker towers. I had that for a good few years. Looking back now I'm sure it sounded terrible but back then I loved it and I could rattle the windows with it. lol

3. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

A '70s Peavy T-60 guitar, a '60s Silvertone 1484 amp, and a '70s Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 linear power booster.

4. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

Started in 1978
    First Guitar was a Hohner LP Copy w/ real Gibson PAF Pu's and Grover Rotomatic Tuning pegs

First Amp was a Fender Princeton Reverb

First pedals were: EHX Big Muff Deluxe, EHX Memory Man, EHX Electric Mistress Flanger, EHX LPB2 Boost, Mutron Volume/Wah, Univox Phase Shifter

5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Magnatone Zyphyr

Magnatone MP 1

Barry A, Mitchell Pearrow and anitoli like this.
  6. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

1980 Kent LP copy $125, 1980 Peavey Backstage combo $179. Bought them both myself new in 1980 with savings from a part time job in high school. :yesway:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  8. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Epi LP 100
    Fender Bronco

9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I started with a cheap plywood SG copy that, after a considerable amount of work that I did on it myself, as I learned guitar tech skills, actually wasn't bad. Eventually I made a mahogany body for it. And later, just made a new neck-thru-body SG as my first hand-built guitar.

My first amp was a Fender Pro Reverb from 1973, that was cut down to a head. Got it in a local pawn shop for 75 bucks in 1985.

I'm not really counting my VERY first gear because I didn't really use it. A Framus archtop and Heathkit 1x12 combo amp.

10. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

This:

Epiphone Acoustic - Front.JPG

First electric rig was a $99 LP copy from Sears (don't know who made it) and an awful Univox SS amp that I think was around $75. First pedals were a Crybaby and DS1.

11. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

My first was a Fender Musicmaster with a 50W Yamaha amp.

12. fitz288

fitz288 Active Member

My first guitar was a Hondo II.
    160066985_hondo-ii-professional-electric-guitar-w-hard-case.jpg
    (not my photo)
    30+ years later, and numerous mods, it looks like this.
    Hondo II.jpg
    Still my go-to.

13. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This is it , sounds good too,now that I kinda know how to play it

[​IMG]

14. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Kay Black Les Paul Custom copy (pancake ply body, single coil pups inside humbucker cases, open gear tuners, crappy pots and wiring). Plugged into Leak Varislope preamp and Leak 20/20 stereo preamp (4 YP mullard ECC83s, 4 YP Mullard EL84s and matching GZ34) into a Wharfedale RS12DD Alnico speaker. Great sounding amp/speaker rig, but not exactly portable and at a time when SS gear was on the rise so it stayed at home.
    Like the guys above it was a useful time for me to find out how to set a guitar up and with paper round money I bought Schaller machine heads, Kent Armstrong pickups and decent switches, pots and caps. Took me ages to realise why my humbuckers were so low output and buzzy compared with my friends new Gibson Gold tops mini-buckers!
    Still got my Italian Jen Wah tho'.
    We used to beg/borrow weird and wonderful amps/cabs for gigs that are probably all now in landfill, can't recall any of them sounding particularly good or memorable, just loud.

15. AlvisX

This LP Copy came along around June of '79 . Learned a LOTTA stuff on this guitar

[​IMG]

16. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

1987, 13th birthday, mom bought me a $80 black "hammer" (knock off mini gibson explorer shape) and a $40 battery operated 5" amplifier and a hot pink t-shirt.

17. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Extremely poor (family of seven) growing up in rural Arkansas. Imagine what that is like folks. :facepalm:

My grandma gave me this '58 Harmony for Christmas '76.
    383BFDBF-AF17-4DD2-88AB-2CC0258C417F.jpeg
    ............didn't get an amp (of my own) until circa 1981. :drunk:

18. AlvisX

I have that guitar out back ,that I need to rebulid. That pickup, Gibson p-13 is killer
    Rural Mississippi probably aint much different .......

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  19. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Active Member

A kit-built Tele copy (Mom's uncle put it together, my grandfather gave it to me) and a Crate KBA-10. Still have both. The tele is a decent player, but it needs a better nut. But I epoxied it on and used a bit too much, so I think I have to heat it up or just dremel it off. Oh, well.

20. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

My first electric was a cheap Tele style knockoff with humbuckers and a Peavey Bandit back in '89 I believe.

Before that I played acoustic for about 5 or 6 years. It was $100 Alvarez I bought myself after getting on a work release program at school where I got out early 3 days a week to work part time when I turned 15. I worked at Dairy Queen just long enough to buy the guitar and then I quit. Boy was my old man pissed, lol!

Clockworkmike, jmp45, Barry A and 4 others like this.