Your DSL sounds better than mine

junk notes

Reaction score
Rear panel variants
Using DSL in title as examples.
I have posted in other threads, but ever since the Studio Series I see that Marshall has not been afraid to mix it up annually or every other, with a variety of rear panel baffle designs on the same model number combos..
Not just the Creamback that is the improvement :hmm: Anyone else notice this with other Marshall combos. just inquiring.

PelliX

Reaction score
There's a DSL combo that now comes with a Creamback? What are these changes you're referring to?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
well, if you look at the TSL, they have 20 revisions of the main motherboard. They made a couple revisions of the bias board, etc.

Some of that carried out w/ the DSL as well.

But, if you note, they never came out w/ a TSL100 revision amp, like the TSL100R, or whatever, they just kept it TSL100.

I'd imagine that they still do little refinements internally to the DSL, even w/o changing it's amp designation. Maybe, once they do enough, they revise it.

But, as far as externals/aesthetics? It seems they've done a couple, but, I'm not totally up on it...

Some though, are when a vendor orders a custom run. Sometimes Marshall will adopt something of that nature (depending on the contract) & offer a LTD version, or will implement something as standard, or, the new standard...

PelliX

Reaction score
Custom Run and Special Run are generally cases "oh, sh*t, we've still got all these [...]... uhm... let's just put 'em in product X and make some money" in my experience. Sometimes that works out well... :shrug:

A decent speaker in de DSL20CR would be a welcome addition, though, I would imagine. A Creamback in the 40CR worked for me, too.

Eric'45

Reaction score
I believe there was a DSL fitted with a Creamback as one of those Custom runs. If that's what the OP is referring to...
Changing the aestethics is one thing, but for me, changing Internal Boards and the like means Improvement and that Marshall somehow cares for the model lines. In theory, it should be a good thing. :shrug:

gregr

Reaction score
Does a DSL50 head that has all four modes overhauled count? ;)

gregr

Reaction score
But, as far as externals/aesthetics? It seems they've done a couple, but, I'm not totally up on it...
Is it me or do the 100W Vietnamese DSL heads have a smaller logo and/or different tolex than the English versions? They look kinda cheap. I know my DSL20H does.

… I know, I’m being a douche.

Last edited:

mcblink

Reaction score
Is it me or do the 100W Vietnamese DSL heads have a smaller logo and/or different tolex than the English versions? They look kinda cheap.
Yeah they do, and the faceplate is a sticker/decal.

gregr

Reaction score
Yeah they do, and the faceplate is a sticker/decal.
I don’t know about the iron either but they’re a really good value. Change a half dozen caps/resistors and you’re back to the JCM2k. Two master volumes and the ability to access all 4 modes from the floor. Plus the V-type on the DSL combo isn’t a bad speaker at all. I wouldn’t feel bad about not getting a Creamback.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Rear panel variants
Using DSL in title as examples.
I have posted in other threads, but ever since the Studio Series I see that Marshall has not been afraid to mix it up annually or every other, with a variety of rear panel baffle designs on the same model number combos..
Not just the Creamback that is the improvement :hmm: Anyone else notice this with other Marshall combos. just inquiring.

I am not aware of any changes on the back panel, unless your comparing a DSL to a DSLCR....Then there are many differences.

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about the iron either but they’re a really good value. Change a half dozen caps/resistors and you’re back to the JCM2k. Two master volumes and the ability to access all 4 modes from the floor. Plus the V-type on the DSL combo isn’t a bad speaker at all. I wouldn’t feel bad about not getting a Creamback.
As you know …… Rarely do I leave um alone …… But my DSL40CR is Bone Stock …… The VType was on the chopping block but I never switched it out …… Then this magical thing happened …… I fell love with the Tone of that Amp as is !! …… who woulda thunk ??

gregr

Reaction score
Yeah, the 22. I played through the one with the regular speaker once. The clean channel with a mid boost that’s switchable from the floor was really nice. I can see it being a good pedal platform, especially with a V30. The dirty channel was like a Boogie Lonestar but a little more raw maybe? I could be way off base. It wasn’t all that memorable, honestly. A V30 may have changed that. For me it was all about the clean channel.

Last edited:

Latest posts