YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Holme, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

I REALLY want one of these. I was going to get a 1987x, but I think the versatility of this amp is great. The major problem is I can't find any in my country :(

2. Ealdst

Ealdst Member

Which country are you in? Andertons (www.andertons.co.uk) ship to many countries outside the UK, their prices are pretty good and their customer service has never let me down - even when my YJM didn't have the power lead in the box they shipped one out to me next day and threw in a set of strings to say sorry too!

rjtm and Holme like this.
  3. Holme

Holme Well-Known Member VIP Member

That's a shame Redstone :(
    Like Ealdst said,can you not get one shipped to you?
    Hope you get one sorted out!
    :thumb:

4. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Yeah I think my next pedal will be a Maxon808. I'm going to sell my mxr custom modified badass pedal. Ir colors the tone too much for me. How much do you guys think I should sell it for?

5. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Yeah I've heard andertons is great for that. I'm sure you can find one just have patience and keep looking!

6. Holme

Don't know if any of you guys have seen this video Nuke made ages ago but I've had to post it for some that haven't!
    Has me in stitches every time I see it!
    (It was posted as piss take to someone who 'dared' to mock the DSL,which at one time i'm guessing was the forum favourite!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WnYKo7oCo&feature=youtube_gdata_player]DSL and the Marshall Forum - YouTube[/ame]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love it!

7. FennRx

FennRx Well-Known Member

rjtm and Holme like this.
  8. Holme

FennRx likes this.
  9. FennRx

FennRx Well-Known Member

After doing that clip, here are my findings.

1) I am deaf
    2) I am reasonably confident i now am in atrial fibrillation
    3) I need to contact a mason to check the structural integrity of my house
    4) I have an erection

Super Marshall, rjtm and Holme like this.
  10. Holme

:lol::lol::lol:
    I played mine on 3 both channels jumped with the EPA off & my mate who was sat on the sofa having a beer nearly shart himself!:lol::lol::lol:
    I have a feeling if I'd have let rip on 5 I'd have been removing the 'nearly' from that tale!:wow:

rjtm likes this.
  11. rjtm

rjtm New Member

I might be able to crank my YJM later this month! :headbanger: I'm going in the studio.. I can't even describe how excited I am :headbanger:

Holme likes this.
  12. Holme

That will be soooooo loud rjtm!:wow:
    But equally awesome!:applause::applause::applause:

:headbanger:

rjtm likes this.
  13. bonanza2252003

bonanza2252003 New Member

New YJM conclusion

I absolutely love Plexi's BUT . This plexi has not realy resolved the volume issue . You still have to turn the EPA almost completely to max and the volumes to max for it to truly respond and sound like a plexi . The EPA is very good but when you use it to any large degree you can easily find amps that will get better sounds.

So my conclusion is you still have to be playing stadiums to fully utilize this amp. I will keep mine to use for the 1/2 dozen or so outdoor gigs my band does a year . But for the clubs where I would have to have the EPA at 1/2 way or more my Silver Jubilee 2550 will sound slightly better. (I did an A/B with the jubilee and YJM at club volumes and the Jubilee won. I will add though that at full out volumes there is no Marshall alive that will beat the 1959 plexi circuit IMHO.

Next issue is the YJM does not have a volume boost for leads and for some reason booster in the loop trick does absolutely nothing in this design to give a volume boost . Not sure why .I think the effects loop must be buffered ? None of my PTP amps have ever had this problem.Thats not to say its a bad thing but you are still stuck with no way of boosting . I'm just thinking as I write this that it may be because the volume is already maxed and the EPA is controlling overall volume ? Might have to try backing off the volumes a bit and see ?

For me there is still so much feel and sound that is lost with the EPA. It does definately still sound good but not plexi sweetness good and the general feel of a true cranked plexi is somewhat lost as well as the reduction in gain . It just loses that play itself type of feel compared to when its cranked.

I'm going to get mine modded with a switchable dual EPA volume so it will be more usable for me . A fairly significant volume boost for leads is a necessity for me . The gigs we play here in Vegas all have in house soundmen .They tend to be lazy and will not keep track or even know or care when your solo's are coming up so boosting them is always my job. The dual switchable EPA volume will allow my leads to get closer to the sweet spot too . the rhythms will IMHO be equal to any number of other amps at this volume. But knowing my boosted leads will be in the plexi sweet spot is enough for me to call it a keeper . The reverb and loop are also very desirable options that a stock 1959 does not have and they both function marvelously .

Anyone have any idea if the dual EPA switchable volume mod on this amp will be a challenge or do you think this is a straight forward dual volume type mod ?

thanks .

14. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

After a few months of Research I have decided that I want to get a YJM100. So come the start of August I will be the proud owner of a brand spanking new YJM100 and Whatever Cab I can get for it!!! :lol:
    :headbanger:

15. rbehm

rbehm New Member

Re: New YJM conclusion

Wow Really ,when I kick in the "boost" for solo's it absolutley RIPS.
    I have played mine in clubs and Arenas I run the epa at 12.00 on 100w mode in clubs ,I do use a Plexi glass baffle similar to JB. I use 25w greenbacks 4x12 or 2-4x12's depending on the venue my yjm kills .

John 14:6 likes this.
  16. clue

clue Member

You all convinced me. Already got an AFD100, but just ordered a YJM100.

BTW, I found the master at halfway and the EPA at halfway is a great setting where nothing is lost on the AFD100. And it is still useable at small gig volumes, and sounding like it should.

FennRx, Holme and John 14:6 like this.
  17. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

I have owned a 50 watt Marshall Silver Jubilee head in the past and my YJM100 would beat up on it all day long at any volume. The Jubilee was a great amp, but my YJM100 is my all time favorite. I bought the Jubilee back in 1988 and it was my first Marshall tube amp. I had a Carvin X100B before that and a solid state Marshall also.

mAx___ likes this.
  18. Holme

Its one of those things,I don't think you'll ever really 100% get the exact sound & feel of a 125 db amp at living room levels no matter what kind of attenuation you use.
    Even if it's just down to how the speakers react or just the sheer sense of power smacking you in the back of the head!
    The thing I like about the YJM's attenuation is everything comes down accordingly AND it pro longs the life of your valves.
    Yeah you do lose some gain but you can easily compensate for this & more with the built in boost!:D
    Each to their own I suppose,but for me it's a winner!

19. bonanza2252003

bonanza2252003 New Member

Its definatly a winner but as always with any attenuator something is lost .I gig constantly (www.smashingalice.com) And with my two guitar band I also need volume boost for solos and no pedal ever quite gets you there (not with a two guitar band anyway ) .

So just a couple observations . Might have to go back to what I did in the 80's . Turn my cabinet facing the back wall and crank it . Attenution never has realy done it for me and I don't think this amp is any exception to this rule. Cranked however there is nothing better.

the loop and reverb don't hurt either and are a much needed addition for me . Just wish it had a volume boost for solo's .The built in boost doesn't quite get it there for me nor has any pedal ever done so. With a one guitar band its not an issue though.

I'm going to try and get mine modded with a swichable dual volume .If I can get that done and turn my can to the wall it should become my main gigging amp.:dude:

20. Mat_P

Mat_P Active Member

I have a passive volume pedal in the loop.
    I have the loop on and the pedal slidely rolled back for riff work.
    For lead boost I just turn off the loop for a sort of pseudo boost.
    So if you will it's a negative booster, works fine for me.