YES! Eminence ReignMaker 75Watt, magnetic speaker Attenuator included, has arrived! A day early!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Dwayne Eash, May 29, 2020.

1. Dwayne Eash

Dwayne Eash Active Member

Wow, this is good news!!! I did not expect this until late tomorrow! Their system of tracking updates played a dirty on me!!! Ha ha haaa, oh the fun. But it's here and no disturbing gashes or bruises!!!

Happy day for my inner guitarist!!!

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

How many watts is your amp?

3. Dwayne Eash

It's called 50 watt JCM 800, 4010, but I read it's 60watts. And Ted Weber would maybe probably say, that fire breathing dragon, you have no idea how wide that can swing the meter playing clean at just half throttle. Swings can go well into 150.

That's not a quote, but that's my impression of my discussion with me over the phone. hehe Cool guy, but sorta under spec'ed his stuff, for I don't know what reason. He said I should use either the 150 or the 200 and the 200 is the better one for my kind of amp.

@@

Hehaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I love life. Ted's a great guy, but also a bit stuck in his ways. I enjoyed talking to him. But it was quiet revealing how my 50 watt amp, SHOULD use a 200 watt attenuator. That is normal marketing for Ted I guess. hehe

Come on solid state reactive load power attenuator with speaker emulation included, for more transparent sound. Please see simple power attenuator for JohnH for more info! Impressive stuff, from the few samples, seems decidedly transparent, even at house and bedroom levels. Perhaps more audio testing will prove this out more clearly.

I look forward to providing feedback and samples myself. John's helping me finalize the design presently, so I can hopefully order parts and get this project going so I can use my greenback clones again!

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

A 50 watt amp is not 60 watts.
    The speakers should be rated 100 watts or more for a 50 watt amp.
    Therefore recommend 2 speakers not 1.

5. Dwayne Eash

I was quoting notes from Marshall on my circuit, but somehow I should defer to you? Not quiet convinced yet, but you might be right. Not sure it really matters, the nominal and the peak and the actual or running power. No one even clarified, so I guess we don't really care about apples and oranges, it's just some kind of a comparison.

But I only have 3, and can't afford more, no way. It's a pair of 25 watt green back clones, and this sound attenuating speaker that is voiced like a celestion.

So, I could run it in conjunction with the other two, but until I build that simple reactive power attenuator, I'm stuck just using the 75 watt speaker. Better than what I've been using for the last 9 years or so, just two green back clones, and hoping to not blow them. I keep it around 3 on the MV, so the speakers have not been damaged.

I will end up with three speakers, but the ohms work out, so it's all good.

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

just remember when power amp's are rated for power, they are generally rated at 0.1% distortion or less...

50 watts at 0.1% distortion?

How much distortion do you drive your guitar through it?

It's probably more like 85 watts at that point.

Dwayne Eash likes this.
  7. Dwayne Eash

A fifty watt plexi is a fr@ck@n beast. Same with most JMP super leads and the master volume amps as well. That's why the JCM 800 is also so beasty, it's main circuit is derived from the JMP Master Super Leads, so they are like sibling amps, all three are related, and share key aspects of the same DNA.

So when we take all that in, and of course we should include JTM 45's and 50's, as well. The 18 and 20 watt blues-breaker amps DNA are from this same design too, but they use different tubes, thus do not have the same reputation as a beast. They are loud and ballsy, but they are more controllable in comparison.

I think Ted Weber would agree, that this family of amps, are more powerful and aggressive than some others. He likes to point out the size of the transformers, and they are huge, like early Fender bassman's and twins and reverbs as well. Great and powerful amps, with huge transformers.

They structure the gain stages and how it feeds into the power amp in a different way that is honest and pure, so much so, as it is also powerful, that it can be intimidating. hehe The 18 watt combo was a joy to play, kinda reminded me of it's super lead kin, with mostly EL34's that I am so fond of.

And when I played a plexi, wow, talk about, stand up, and play well, or everything will be exposed. LOL Sooo much honesty, and powerful brutality, it can be kinda startling and intimidating. hehe I jumped over to the clean channel last night on my JCM 800, for 5 mins and wow, I had forgot how great it sounded clean as I tend to live in the high input channel. I crank up the gain to max, and same with the entire tone stack. And then master volume to taste and it still remains perfectly clean, even for strumming open chords.

The notes were clear and blooming nicely. Each string retains it's own sound and identity. I "really" like the clean side of this amp. Even just at house playing volume, it was amazing how well it sounded, articulation was great, just needed more gain, but not much.

Switching, is a hassle.

I have to
    1- walk over to the amp
    2- turn the amp master volume and gain down
    3- unplug from low input
    4- plug into the high input
    5- raise master volume and gain to new desired levels
    6- all without accidentally bumping into the volume or tone controls
    7- walk back to the performance
    in order to change channels from clean to hot.

I forgot to mention about saying a prayer before doing it all, hehe, but of course, we all know, safety first. hehe So I left it out. Point being, this is a bit of a risky move.

But each channel is vastly different, and worth exploring. Just mostly, not during a performance. But I don't like the channel switching JCM 800's, because they also incorporated diode clipping or digital distortion, into the signal chain, and I don't like that idea.

Even though it was kinda perfected by the time we get to the silver Jubulee, and some say that's their perfect kind of amp sound. I am more old school, with the all tube signal path. I want max pick sensitivity, power tube saturation overdrive, and singing overtones, and that comes from the best in organic tubes instead of digital shaping.

Having said all that, if I wanted to play more quiet and yet still sound lively without crushing the tone to bits, the Boss distortion 1 (DS-1?, the orange thing!) is a great pedal. Helps make any amp sound more lively. The sonic liveliness involved, is noteworthy.

And it's a cheap little thing, quiet modest in appearance. I read the other day, that same DS-1, was their first distortion pedal! I think it's probably still one of the best available. I consider it more of an overdrive pedal, very lively.

So yeah, I'm a tone purist, but I also appreciate good quality digital pedals. Not many, but for quiet occasions, which are common, this sort of thing can help a lot. Can't find mine, but that's another story. hehe