>

WTH? where are all the good 4x12 cabinets going?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Crikey, Mar 31, 2021.

1. TheFIRSTmikey007

TheFIRSTmikey007 Member

Beautiful!

Sapient likes this.
  2. dsimms

dsimms New Member

I've still got my VM 425A cab, but never use it any more. I always figured it would be too expensive to sell online with shipping, so I keep it around to occasionally hook up and play at home. Maybe I should try to sell just the speakers (G12C 25 Watt Celestion Greenbacks). What's a reasonable price for the cab vs selling the speakers separately these days?

GIBSON67 likes this.
  3. fingertied

fingertied Member Silver Supporting Member

Many people such as myself are not done with them yet :) so they are not for sale

DJGranite likes this.
  4. sir john maxwell

sir john maxwell New Member

5. sir john maxwell

where do you live? i see marshall cabs all the time for sale. from 300.00 to 500.00

6. sir john maxwell

7. sir john maxwell

hes looking for cabs for sale? are yours for sale? or just posting a picture for some reason?

8. Derrick111

Derrick111 Active Member

I've noticed the same thing in the Washington DC metro area... a lack of decent Marshall hear... mostly the cheaper line stuff when anything pops up. Now, cabs seem almost non-existent for sale except the occasional MG and even those are hard to find. COVID has something to do with this, but it was like this with Marshall gear in general for a few years now around here. Lately, when you do see a JCM900 or equivalent present day cab, it's around $450 to $550 or so.

Iron1 and Crikey like this.
  9. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

East coast

10. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Thanks. I got it in '15 I believe. I had it up for sale and a guy only wanted the head. So, the cab still stored here. I've always dug the racing green - to me it's so ..Euro.

:cheers:

Crikey likes this.
  11. Iron1

Iron1 Well-Known Member

There's quite a few around here (MN) on the FB marketplace. But, I wonder if the lack of re-sales is driven by the lack of new sales? Had someone tell me recently that they (a gigging pro musician) had never used a full stack before and didn't know many people IRL who had... I'd bet the number of 412s built/sold new these days is a tiny fraction of what it used to be... and a solid percentage of the used ones out there are either clung too tenaciously by old farts like me, or shoved in a corner in the garage/basement/storage unit and forgotten.

Slightly on/off topic, I used to have a pair of Carvin 412 Bs w/metal grills. Man how I'd love to get one or both back, but I've only seen one like them for sale once in the last decade and I was dead broke when I saw it and it sold 2 days later.

Crikey likes this.
  12. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Enjoying the forum as usual...

13. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

281868DC-712C-4997-8618-BB7628BA9122.jpeg 5F555A8E-D1DC-4E4F-9CAF-AD3621B06FA5.jpeg

Crikey likes this.
  14. MullardFillmore

MullardFillmore Member

15. soul_schizm

soul_schizm New Member

I’ve played around with IRs enough now to know they are total crap compared to my 4x12 rig. Old Crate cabinet, Engl Straight head / Laney Ironheart head. My 4x12 is oversized which gives me a little extra full body. I wouldn’t go with a Marshall cab because I’m settled in now, probably for life.

The point: My guess is they are still out there, but between the IR / direct-in players and newer cabs stuff more are collecting dust or have already settled into their final owners. You know, old guys like me...just finally got to the sound they like and not really interested in more tweaks. Newer players experiment but with newer tech.

You know those old ‘Vette owners who parade them around at car shows? They finally got what they wanted and probably won’t be in the market to buy/sell ‘Vettes now.

Crikey likes this.
  16. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

If you were to sell it, what would you mark it at? It's hard to find any deals on 'real' 4x12s (1960a or b), sorry not interested in MG stuff of which there is a ton here in New England.

Crikey likes this.
  17. MullardFillmore

MullardFillmore Member

I just saw a minty Budda cab go for $250 at my local Sam ash. I didn’t scoop it up cuz I have 3 cabinets already.

look at GC used, the cost to ship a cab from them is dirt cheap.

Crikey likes this.
  18. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Dang it. The speakers in my budda 2x12 kick v30s ass. Not sure what that it is about the phat speaker but its a great sound with all my amps

19. jazzdj

jazzdj Active Member

D'uh ... you have to ask about Guitar Center (filed Bankruptcy) and Craigslist (get mugged, stabbed, robbed, murdered when you meet your buyer/seller)???

Would you put your used gear at a GC under BK and possible have it seized as part of their BK?? D'uh!

20. DJGranite

DJGranite Active Member

50+ Craigslist deals and not so much as a harsh word.
    A lot of great deals on great gear though.
    If I get a bad vibe during the EMail or phone call stage I just move on.