Wow. Just wow. What a chopper.

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Trapland, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

DaDoc and South Park like this.
  2. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Well yes but it's VINTAGE... Kinda sorta VINTAGE!!!!

Russ

DaDoc likes this.
  3. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I believe the word the hot rod guys are using is rest-o-mod lol.

Greg70, wakjob and DaDoc like this.
  4. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

How 'bout used.

DaDoc likes this.
  5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

To be fair it looks like it has had an interesting life. The restoration to original spec has been done reasonably well - everyone loves a recapped amp too - right;). The PT whilst a replacement appears to be of the correct spec but again someone omitted the reinforcement brackets that stop the feet breaking.
    Importantly the OT is an original Dagnall C1998 with cloth coloured wires.
    I would have used original type components
    The head box looks new vs recovered to me, the original probably had a huge fan hole in the side!
    It would be interesting to see what it would fetch on ebay or a similar auction site at the moment.

Adieu and DaDoc like this.
  6. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Ya see these for sale all the time, just like with guitars.

I don't get it, sellers who think just because a gutted and rebuilt piece of gear was originally built in '69 it's gonna be worth the same as a mint amp (or guitar) from the same year.

And even though that one is a rebuild it's still listed as "sold as-is, no refunds or returns"..Forget that! :lol:

And the "local pick-up only" bit annoys the hell out of me, a Marshall can be shipped safely if properly packed. Another one is when they want an extra $100 or $200 bucks to ship! Maybe overseas, but shipping in-country is much cheaper than that.

My M.O. when I see that sort of nonsense is to pass and just move on..:sadwave:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Trelwheen likes this.
  7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

8. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

with shipping, insurance, and proper packaging that's not at all unreasonable. sold a traybor yba-1 last week that cost $95 for shipping and reverb safe shipping (which is based off price, so a $2000 amp would be more) and that didn't include packing supplies, time packing (including removing and packing each tube so it doesn't show up in a pile of broken glass), and time dropping off at ups

9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

UPS???? They are the final word on packing, If it's packed wrong they will prove it! lol

10. Greg70

Greg70 Member

I'm curious as to what all of the extra holes were for. It looks like there were several extra jacks on the back panel that have been covered up. I don't know why they didn't cover the two unconnected ones labeled "DO NOT USE" while they were at it. Are the small holes on the top of the chassis original? My 2203 doesn't have any unused holes. They just seem randomly placed.

11. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

I move a few amps in and out. For anything worth over $500 usd it’s $100 shipping and insurance for HEADS and another $50 for combos. Just got an AC15 in and the shipper paid a UPS store to pack it. Cost him $200 total.

12. aberry9475

aberry9475 Member

I will never let UPS pack my shit again. Sent a plexi cross country, insured and packed by their "experts".

Showed up and by God that thing got rolled. Bent transformers, headshell joints completely separated. Customer was pissed, understandably so.

Add insult to injury, it took 5 months and I don't care to recount how many emails, phone calls, and store visits just to get them to honor the claim.

As the question beckons, what can brown do for you? Turns out, a lot. A whole lotta brown..

/endrant

Edit: On the topic..yeah they're smoking on some good stuff if they want $3k+ for that. I honestly wouldn't even want it for half that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Ramo likes this.
  13. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about problems with UPS, majority of delivery companies don't care whats in the boxes and throwing them around like a ball.

I hope you have better luck in future.

cheers