>

Would You Trade A 900 Halfstack For A Fender Strat?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by BowerR64, May 19, 2018.

1. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Would you make this trade?

MK3 50 watt 900 (2500)

For this satrat? with the case and the case candy parts and bar and junk that comes with the strat.

trade 4.jpg trade 2.jpg trade 3.jpg

2. BrentD

BrentD Active Member

Around here that's about a $200 advantage to the guy getting the amp at store prices. Our local place would put about $900 on the guitar (slight bpmfor the ash body). There's a 2500 at another place right now for $699. The cabs are usually about $400.

I'm guessing you might score the guitar for less on Craigslist, maybe $750 or $850. And you might get the amp for $1k as a package if someone wants to get rid of it.

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

4. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Go on Guitar Center. Used Strats are a dime a dozen.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  5. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

6. BowerR64

I got the amp with a 1936 (MDF) for $800. and traded the 1936 for an older 1970s checkerboard cloth 4x12

Then the cab i got for $100. empty and put my own speakers in it

I figure ill regret it but the other guy has always give me good trades so i owed him one he never had a Marshall stack now he has a full stack (he already had a 1960A Vintage)

7. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It was not horrible trade but he probably won that round by a hair., but not more. I’d personally never trade for a strat with someone I didn’t know. Too easy to fuck around with strat parts and fakes. At least you know this guy well which will give you peace of mind.

Strats get a lot of hate in the forum. Too many humbuckers guys plug in and freak out because they now know what the really sound like. But once you find the sweet spots they are magical. Funny when you consider the iconic strat players who get monster tone out of them from Hendrix, to SRV, to Blackmore, to Clapton, beck and Malmsteen. If you never had one before, take your time with it.

8. cyanidesilly

cyanidesilly Member

Absolutely no. No way. I had a VG condition 2501 before I sold it to my daughters BF and regret it now. Also sold him my MIM Tele that I liked with it, both for $700. Threw in a tuner pedal, nice stand, strap, cables, etc... He kept asking about the Tele and then the 2501 since he had no amp. Still regret that one. Then ended up buying another MIM Tele off ebay that feels nowhere near as good. F me.

9. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do it. Maple fretboard and ash body. no way. That guitar is worth no more than $750. Then again I've seen some 900 stacks for pretty cheap on my local craigslist. It's just a matter of u liking a ash/maple strat. I much prefer an alder/rosewood strat. If u like the strat tell him to throw in another $200.

10. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Active Member

Absolutely no. Keep the 900. The 900's are end of life. Strats are not only in production, but there is no end to being able to get a good strat. Or make a parts strat to your own spec. There are very few JCM 900 MK III 2500's. And you have a very decent one.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    R.Kandy likes this.
  11. Athor

Athor Member

Fuck no!

The MK3 is just getting more rare by the day! Dont do it!

I sold my Mk3 2500 and still regret it, worst decision ive made.

12. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

NOPE NOPE NOPE!
    No way.......:headbanger:

13. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    If i really wanted the guitar & i was done with the amp then yes but might ask for extra cash to go with it.

14. EastTexas

EastTexas Member

Me, personally? No way. I have a '90 2500 and someone would have to offer me way more than it is worth before I would get rid of it.

15. BowerR64

I would prefer a les paul but i dont have a nice strat so i went ahead and traded.

I still have a 900 DR full stack, a vintage modern full stack (which still blows me away i found all 3 pieces locally in great condition) and then an A and B cab i use with my Chadwick and Windsor amps. The 2500 and the B cab was more or less a "beater rig" imo

TubeStack and charveldan like this.
  16. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

If the Strat speaks to you, well........! I personally dislike maple fretboards, but that's just me. Also, if the tiny "vintage" frets I'd be in HELL! That said, a "good" Strat is truly a thing of beauty! Are you familiar with proper care and feeding of a floating wiggle stick? I couldn't see owning a Strat without having a well functioning tremolo! Many steer clear of floating for fear of tuning issues, but when done properly, they're easily as stable and often more so than a fixed bridge guitar. Decking the trem and then actually using it will certainly put you into tuning Hell! Float it or block it/never use it, those are the only two ways to go! After 40+ years of gigging with Les Pauls, exclusively, I got my first wiggle stick Strat a couple/few years back. I now have no idea how I played for so long without one!

Also, switching from humbuckers, it can take a little while to truly embrace the single coil-ness of the Strat, but once you get it, HOLY CRAP!
    Wiggle That Stick!
    Gene

Sailindawg and SG~GUY like this.
  17. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

No way! Strats are shit.

18. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

NO,NO,NO! I traded a 70's jmp 50w 2x12 combo for a strat back in the mid nineties. Will
    ALWAYS regret that decision. Good news is I'm not as much of an idiot now :shrug:

hazmat7719 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  19. GrahamL

GrahamL Well-Known Member

She looks nice! Let us know how she plays

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  20. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Head , not with the cab. As said above Hell no !