Would you do this?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by chiliphil1, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Moose Lewis

Moose Lewis Well-Known Member

If you like the guitar itself... experiment with pickups. I went through a bunch for the 3 guitars I use on stage, so I could switch up quickly without screwing up our stage mix by fiddling with my amps.

I've never sold/traded a new guitar and felt like I got my money's worth afterwards.
    Good luck ~ Cheers

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

As a guy from the 1950s, "too clean" was the idealized pickup. I think you guys that pay big bucks for filthy sounding Brit boutique pickups are nuts.
    So if you're gonna go that route with the '15 Lester, I love Dirty Fingers.

3. sinner 13

sinner 13 Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I had a SG with 57 classics plus in it, HATED the way it sounded, thin even in the neck position.

I swapped in a nice set of zebra SH-2s, and it helped.
    and once I coil tapped the whole business Series / single / parallel it made it a bit more flexible, and even after all the work it was still "Meh..."

Sold it to build my second Warmoth, never looked back.

4. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Alright, you guys win.. The LP stays! I'm gonna make a new thread about pickups now. To clarify, I don't ask all these questions cause I'm dumb, I do it because I respect the opinion of other more seasoned musicians which I find on this forum.

5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Is this the same Les Paul that won't stay in tune?

6. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I've been through a few bits of hardware, wiring, pots, caps and pups on my LP inc Doug Aldrich, 2 types of bare knuckles and a vintage super distortion. Settled with Slash Sig alnico 2 pros with very high pole pieces on the neck pup.

I loved the guitar but things needed tweeking. Was expensive and frustrating but I'm almost happy now.

7. chiliphil1

Yes, but it stays in tune now. Apparently the factory strings were older and not wound correctly on the posts, since the G force does not have holes for the strings to run though it is imperative that it is done properly and it looks like it wasn't which allowed them to slip.. Seems all good now, 2 sets of strings later and as long as you stretch them it's fine.

8. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Judge the guitar unplugged.

If it plays great
    If it "sings"
    If it resonates well and has sustain

I would keep it.

If it's "boomy" through your signal chain, but the other guitars are not, 1st the Pickups can be changed to give you what you want or, you can also use an EQ pedal/rack, etc. There are many options. IMO the most important thing is the 3 points I already made.

Also, as with all advice, if you fail to mention Genre, Style, signal chain, Amp and speaker, people's advice will vary so much it probably won't help much. For example if you are trying to play Thrash Metal type stuff and the guys on the forum are recommending for Classic Rock / Blues tones......

9. chiliphil1

Thanks for the tips. It does sound great unplugged, so I know it's an electronics thing, I just didn't want to go through all the bs I went through with my last prs again! That said I've decided to keep it and have ordered a set of Duncan's for it, so that should be good.

Signal chain is guitar, wireless, yjm. Or guitar, wireless, tuner, sd-1, wah, jvm. Both have v30's and g12t75's x patterned. B cab at home, a cab with the band.

10. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-LIKE-

QUOTE=drriff;1419901]Where did you get a fifteen foot Les Paul?[/QUOTE]

11. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-DIMARZIO SUPER DISORTION in the bridge-

-I agree with getting rid of the pc board-(straight wire it-just a volume knob)-

-ROCK IT!!-