Working on my 70s Plexi Tone

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by BatmansMarshall, Mar 23, 2021.

1. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

This is my tone that I am working on. I want to transition into soloing without adjusting anything. My rig is already boosted throughout. I don't turn on any pedals. However, there is an overdrive on boost in front driving this. Milking the microphone and cabs properly helped me to get there I think.

My tone control is only in two places. Guitar volume knob and tone. Once the amp is set and pedals in order the only thing I may think about engaging is an FX loop later on. As of now this is all done direct and minimal.

Give me your thoughts, please you corksniffers. Is this a tone pass? Or a tone fail? Keep or move on? I am thinking about it becoming my signature tone.

UPDATE:

I applied what people advised and tried it again in another video below on this first page.

Working on my 70s Plexi Tone 2nd video of changes to settings.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and JamminJeff like this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds good to me even though I play a touch cleaner. The only thing I would reco is less reverb/delay whatever you are using. Its to much IMO, I use both but only to the point of being able to hear it when you say hit a chord then mute it then listen and you can just barely hear it. My two cents!

3. BatmansMarshall

Do you know what could help? If I reduce the volume from my guitar. Let's just say that what you are hearing here is at the top throttle of everything and I just roll back on volume and tone from the guitar. If the time-based effects are too much still I can then roll them back also with a volume expression pedal.

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

First, we are all different, no matter how much we try to emulate different styles, tones, rock gods, etc.

Marshall's are not really known for their clean tones and yet many of us discover how amazing the Marshall clean tones really are. In his later years while playing live, Jimmy Page (among others) started using more clean-ish tones because they were approaching mastery of their particular style.

Also, gain is often used as a guitar player's little helper and I'm no different, but too much gain can begin to sacrifice the tone that we are looking for in the first place.

Okay, my :2c: aside, I think what you are looking for is sustain, not gain. The difference (IMO) is that "sustain" can be used to help the player (play) while gain can, if overused, sound like an angry swarm of mosquitoes, especially as lower volume.

Lastly, if you want a "set and forget" rig, you will have to do all the work from the guitar volume and tone, just like in the old days.

The downside to this is the paint peeling volume that comes from it. Sort that part out and you will be on the road to success. In the meantime, wear some hearing protection.

No, seriously ! Wear some hearing protection !! :agreed:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Too much echo. It's distracting. And if I may offer some advice...practice! You're choppy and uneven in your attack and as for your bends, they sound seasick, and I'm sure it's because of that excessive echo throwing you off.

I practice with NO effects. It helps me to hear exactly what I'm playing with nothing getting in the way. I'll kick in the loop once I've got the riff, lead, or lick nailed down solid.

Tonally speaking you're in a good area. You should be able to run from clean to mean with just a twist of the guitar volume knob if you've got your gain structure set right.

6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

JamminJeff has it right. High volume settings work best with old Marshalls but hearing protection is really mandatory unless you want to be fitted for hearing aids very soon.

I'm using the Etymotic high fidelity earplugs which I just got, and I love them. This morning's play session was my loudest ever for any length of time, but with the earplugs, the volume was comfortable and the sound was well balanced. Not sure my neighbors loved it, but I was sure loving that rich driven cranked Superlead tone!

Get a set of the Etymotic high fidelity plugs. You'll be very glad you did.

7. BatmansMarshall

I'll definitely try to get breakup just on the edge instead of full saturation as my playing gets tighter.

I'm front driving with a Klon Klone but the heads power stage is dialed in.

Then it's just a matter of EQ to sit in a mix I hope.

8. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

If you are new at guitar, go less gain ASAP. You will improve much faster that way :)
    Agree, way too much echo/delay.
    Like @Matthews Guitars said, I'm the same way: barely any FX......work it out first then season to taste.
    Sometimes I wonder if I am actually a better guitar player? I rarely ever use FX except for on clean tones in which I like a little verb/chorus.

BatmansMarshall likes this.
  9. BatmansMarshall

I have the ability to loop my playing and or re-amp if needed.

I also made adjustments:
    • Plexi dialed back a bit in gain.
    • Dallas Rangemaster gain dialed back.
    • Fronted a tape delay instead of after. Reduced delay time.
    • The volume on the guitar is the same. Maxed out so I only clean up reducing from this.
    • Not touching amp settings or pedal settings while playing.
    My playing still sucks the same as before but this is more a tone search as I get more fluent at this. I might not learn this song but start working on writing up my own. Does that make sense? The general compositional tonal qualities are in the range I want to use here. A toolkit. It needs tweaking but is different from the first basic structure I did without totally cleaning up much. I want to be in the area of 70s hard rock distortion.

Thanks

I can take criticism no problem. I can dial it back more if needed.

Michael Roe and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

First off , thanks for sharing your work brother, I also feel that your tone would come off better with out the delay in the mix, I know this well because I have been weaning myself off the delay, (I had always used it to give a bigger sound, but it threw off the tone I was after )
    I think the amount of gain you have on the second clip is in a really good spot, but thats how I like mine as well.
    Nice rig by the way !!
    Cheers
    Mitch

MarshallDog and BatmansMarshall like this.
  11. BatmansMarshall

Okay, so the verdict was no delay for now. I managed to get closer to the speaker sound. No reverb. Maybe some high-end being that close but anyway it is different.

I tried her dialed back first of all but it isn't nearly as distorted until about halfway through the video. For the first half, I just test the Plexi response to my playing on midway volume. Clean with hints of wanting to break out. The second half of the video is with my guitar volume up. You will know the difference.

Next, I will do this on a single-coil Fender Strat. This was the humbucker version. I will try it in a mix with a song and dial it in with my guitar and mixer.

Thanks for the critic. I think this tone I am going for will probably be found in single coils. I tried it and it sounds good.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

You are correct my friend, that is a good core tone to work with, oh and by the way don’t go adjusting your amps settings with even a slight head cold..
    Cheers

BatmansMarshall likes this.