Wiring 1936 in series (4 ohm speakers)

KemperMarshall

Reaction score
Hi all

Apologies if covered elsewhere but have searched the forums with no luck, yes even the stickied wiring post :)

I have two Celestian Kemper speakers which are 4 ohm each to go in my JCM900 1936 cab for mono use only. So speakers will need to be wired in series to be 8 ohm.

My question is regarding the stereo/mono jack.

Is it possible to wire the speakers to only one the mono jack and remove/cover the stereo jack as it will no longer be used and will have no wires connected?

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
Like this, note the polarity.
70261-6879706cab968b21338c26e866d421ab.jpg

Attachments

• spkr_s.gif
    spkr_s.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 8

KemperMarshall

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the advice. Was concerned the mono/stereo jack plate may behave strangely

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
And make doubly sure you connect both speakers in the right order
Hi Ken.
I can see the need to connect the 2 speakers the same, polarity wise (i.e. phase cancelling), but is there any disadvantage if you accidentally connected them both the same, but opposite polarity to your diagram?

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there is, in its simplest form you will find that the cone on one will be going in one direction when the other is going in the opposite direction.
This will give you distortion and again in its simplest form will sound like a chuf chuf sound.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
easiest way is to gut the stereo jack. Remove the jacks & PC board from the jack plate cup. Put in a normal ¼" jack.

Then do as Ken said above...

If you want it to look stock, get a couple of Cliff jacks. You can hook them up parallel, so you can plug into either one, or daisy chain to another cab.

What amp?

Gutch220

Reaction score
I would connect the 2nd jack in parallel with the first jack just to avoid any mistakes. This way you can use both jacks when the cab is in MONO mode.

Latest posts