Wire 1960A speakers directly to jack

Highway49

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find my specific question, links are welcome!

So after years of not using my Marshall DSL100 + 1960A cab I went to pick it up. Since I've been having 2 issues with my top in the past, I never really had to worry about the cab, obviously. The jack plate was pushed inside the cabinet. From what it looked like someone must have pushed it against a wall or something without using angled jack plugs.

Anyways, 2 pins of the left jack input broke and came loose from the PCB. Since I know less than nothing about this, I wasn't sure enough if this could cause issues without even using that input, but the right (16 ohm) instead. As ridiculous as this may sound I didn't know if this could for example break a circuit and therefor still not work.

Since I even "expected" the DSL to have issues because it had rather small but physical damages which weren't there last time, I could not define which or both would be broken. I didn't want to have it on too often/long since the broken cabinet wouldn't provide any load to the amp.

I did not have a 9V battery at hand for testing the speakers without also and now back at home without access to the stack.

A quick re-solder of the broken pins did not fix it, which from the look of it also seemed unlikely also. Speaker wires were also removed and put back on so preferably I get rid of the PCB entirely since I don't trust it's state anymore, since my treatment may have done more harm now...

Since I'm perfectly fine not having the stereo switch + possibility and just one input, is it too simple to think I could just wire directly from the speakers to one 1/4 input and remove the entire PCB/jack plate, or is that perfectly fine? Assuming I will from then on only use the 16ohm output from my amp, which was the default often anyway.

If so, how would this be achieved and does it require any re-wiring? Which is no problem since it seems easy enough since I'm never afraid to tool around, but lack the knowledge theory-wise.

Current wiring (assuming this is standard but I got a used one years ago so not sure):

2 wires (B/R) from PCB to top left speaker.
2 wires (B/R) from PCB to top right speaker.
2 wires (B/R) from top left speaker to bottom left speaker.
2 wires (B/R) from top right speaker to bottom right speaker.

After removing the PCB I would end up with 4 loose/disconnected wires coming from the top 2 speakers. I would expect (based on seeing some images) to connect only 2 wires when using 1 jack input, which makes me unsure of what to do with the other 2 etc.

Or maybe connecting all 4 wires to a single jack is ok and would even avoid the need for rewiring other bits?

I just don't know, and want to stop guessing :) Thanks!

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard 16 ohm 4 speaker series / parallel wiring to a single jack.

Speaker wiring for the thousandth time | MarshallForum.com

4x12-series-par-wiring_4-jpg.2594386

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks and sorry for my bad search skills. Appreciated!

No Problem.
I just remembered the thread because I LMAO the first time I saw the thread title...
I've heard of problems with those pcb switching jacks, probably not a bad idea to replace it anyway.
It should be an easy fix - just get a jack plate from Ambazon that fits the switching jack plate hole.
I think you can also get a prewired harness that just needs plugged in to the speakers - done.