WINDING PICKUPS

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Marcomel79, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Marcomel79

Marcomel79 Well-Known Member

Was wondering if any of you guys winds pickups and would like to discuss some specs for different uses. I made a pickup winder out of an old sawing machine and it works great. Made a couple of sets for some of my guitars. I was particularly interested in t-tops, as Angus used them in the early years of acdc. In the throbak website it says they used short rough alnico 2 magnets. On the set i wound with that spec the mids are very prominent, a bit too much maybe. Do any of you have experience you would like to share?

Marco

StrummerJoe and junk notes like this.
  2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

So what kind of wire do you use . I think that is the main difference in vintage pick ups . It is just like the wood in guitars it can make a difference

Marcomel79 and junk notes like this.
  3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Gibson's P.A.F. readings were all over, and it was not until somewhere around the T-Top with magnet consistency. YMMV That is why at times you hear that a double white is not always a great find.

StrummerJoe and Marcomel79 like this.
  4. Marcomel79

42 awg poly. Heard different takes from people. Some people say the type of wire matters and some say it doesnt. I know Gibson used plain enamel for their PAF's and T-Tops but there are more factors at play. Here are some notes from a set thats in my Gibson Les Paul:
    2FA3289F-8B4A-4921-9751-081541779024.jpeg

5. Marcomel79

See my post above

6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

7. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Try some A5 magnets and report back if you kike them . In your post you said the A2 were to mid dominant , and to my ears the A5 magnets are the perfect blend to my ears where it is a perfect balance . Our ears are all unique , so what works and sounds good for one person might sound different to the next person . One last thing stay away from A3 magnets as they are weak and bland .

8. Marcomel79

Hey man, i have short rough alnico 2 at the moment, but have some long polished anico 2 laying around that im gonna try. Ive used the latter in a different set and the sound is way more balanced. But i love the short rough A2 in neck position. Ill report back when i do the swap

El Gringo likes this.
  9. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Marcomel79 likes this.
  10. Marcomel79

Me too!!

El Gringo likes this.
  11. Marcomel79

UPDATE: so i swapped the short rough A2 magnet for a long polished A2 magnet in my les paul and what a difference. No more overwhelming midrange but beautiful, fat, full sounding vintage tone. Wow. From being my least favorite guitar, it went to be my favorite one. The chords are rich and i can hear all the notes, even with a fair amount of overdrive. Couldnt stop playing. Best of all, i made them myself. Im feeling really happy right now

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    mad5066, Sir Don and GregM like this.