>

Will Marshall Astoria Prices Go Up In A Few Years?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by yngwee, Feb 12, 2018.

?

Will Astoria Price Go Up?

1. They will hold their value well

24.0%
  2. They will eventually gain in value like the Silver Jubilee, AFD, YJM100, etc.

28.0%
  3. They will hold their values no better than production Marshalls

48.0%
  1. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I think any information from anyone on WTF Marshall is thinking and doing is a plus.

2. yngwee

yngwee Member

Yeah, I agree. Some people always have to inject some kind of negativity into otherwise good discussions. It doesn't have to be the Astoria. It could be about how much Marshall prices will go up in the foreign-made DSL line, or whether the original Silver Jubilees still hold their value. The point is that the Astoria is a superior Marshall that was bred from 53 years of Marshall amp building. They are absolutely incredible amplifiers, and just because they didn't catch on, doesn't mean they can't hold or increase in value. There are only two other Marshall handwired amps; one is a combo with tremolo that most people probably don't need, and the other is a LOUD 100w head. Unless Marshall goes into the boutique arena, which is definitely doubtable, they are amps to be sought after.

All I have to say to any doubters is go out and play an Astoria Custom for yourself. I'm not a Marshall expert by any means, or old enough to have played the originals (though I've played a few vintage Marshalls), but I have owned several and played many, and I can say that the Astoria is one of the absolute finest sounding Marshalls I've ever heard. IF that sound ever catches on, you can bet they will be highly valued.

3. Holme

Holme Well-Known Member VIP Member

Maybe they will maybe they won't who knows I remember the AFD being sold cheaply one point during it's production.

The thing you have to remember with Marshall is they are famous for having a certain amp used for a certain song & that sound is then gospel - hence why JMP, JTM,JCM 800's,SLP's always sell - people want that specific sound - like buying a piece of bookmarked music history if you will.
    Look at the Vintage & Workbench sections of this very forum.
    That's basically people been even more history specific - not only do they want one of the aforementioned amps but they've gone a stage further & want it to be time specific - building even more collectability!

Now look at the Astoria - (which I'm not knocking by the way) & try to find that bookmark history sound defining bench mark.

There isn't one!

That doesn't mean of course it couldn't become collectible in time but it certainly hasn't got that history or even look!

Still time will tell!

:h5:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  4. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Those days are long gone , there are no more ' defining ' bands . We will hang on to our vintage of the period gear , but if you want a very high end modern Marshall what you going to buy ?

5. Holme

Well that's where the frustration begins with alot of Marshall fans - I've got a YJM which to me is great - does everything I want in one box - to a serious collector though it's a pcb board bag of crap!

The Astoria has all the right ingredients but unfortunately lacks that collectible history right now.

Will it become popular in a few years like the previously mentioned - who knows!

:shrug:

6. Ufoscorpion

Before I pulled the trigger on my Astoria custom I looked at other gear for sure . Namely Orange and Friedman , I suppose the closest was a dirty Shirly 40w combo , have you seen the price of hose things ? Anyway bottom line is I wanted a Marshall and if it had an issue or need it servicing then I live 20 mins from the factory . As far as the value of them goes the main factor with anything being collectable in the first place is how rare it is . The Astoria range has the jump on that one from the off .

7. Holme

Well again time will tell - at the moment all Astoria lines are still available!

:thumb:

8. Ufoscorpion

Yep , just had a look , the cheapest custom combo is £ 700 more than I paid for mine new 7 months ago .

9. Holme

10. Ufoscorpion

Saw the classic heads at guitar guitar and am seriously thinking about getting one a that price , it's an absolute bargain . The classic is the old school non master volume version designed to be a great pedal platform . The customs were / are what most people look for these days , basically a fully tricked up single channel medium/high gain with boost ( all valve signal path ) tone beast . The dual has a bit of both but with less gain than the custom .

Holme likes this.
  11. Holme

Out of the 3 the custom is the one I'd have chose with higher gain & I'm not big on pedals either - which is a shame because that classic is a top deal for someone!

:agreed:

Ufoscorpion likes this.
  12. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I’ve been intrigued by these from the start, I love the concept of a high end, hand wired, no nonsense amp. I’m not big on the colors but the one that PU posted in the black headshell is incredible. With buying the Kemper I doubt that I’ll ever be in a position to pull the trigger on an Astoria but if I ever find one at a good deal I may just do it anyway. I think they’re really great and the profiles I have are in another league compared to the other Marshall’s out there.

I wish that these had made their way into some local stores, I would love to actually try one.

Ufoscorpion likes this.
  13. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

... Not entirely.

You asked people what they thought on this amp line’s value over time: positive, neutral, or negative. Further, you included one amp in the “positively-valued” group of examples that is factually incorrect at present.This includes both positive and negative discussion, which was being accomplished, much to your displeasure.

Granted it is only a sample of 2 thus far, but I am noticing a trend where you start “discussion” threads, then get testy about people who comply and actually discuss things that you invited them to talk about, rather than forming a group post of people of lavishing positivity over the object(s) instead of discussion. Now, if someone is abrasively trolling, fair enough, but I don’t understand the desire to write open discussion threads that seem to end up aggrevating you.

el_bastardo and EndGame00 like this.
  14. Ufoscorpion

Don't totally discount the classic , watch Johan Segeborn putting one through its paces on YouTube .

15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

It was a flop. Even with the tolex change from unsightly color schemes to black, and a price drop to boot, it still didn’t bring the buzz to most in the music gear industry, let alone to consumers... Even it was a limited run, people didn’t care....

Astoria line was targeting the wrong market.... they’re competing with Voodoo, Germino, Metropoulos, Bray, Wizard, and among others....you know, THAT demographic, the cork sniffers....

16. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Let me make this clear, PU223.....Astoria is a great amp by itself, however, the way Marshall handled its launch blew its chances to get the product recognized and trying to target a certain demographics that already flooded with boutique merchandise...You’re the one who’s making a hard sales pitch trying to convince anyone the Astoria is doing great, while the fact it is not.... The boutique market is not in Marshall’s best interest...

the reissues line is already out of reach to other players who does not have a disposable income, the Origin is the right step: An affordable classic Marshall tone...

17. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

I can send you the profiles from my custom if you want them.

18. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    The trend is prices drop over time.
    Only music gear ive found that holds its value is Gibson guitars and right now thats a stretch.

19. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

That is the amp, a custom dual in that livery, with an oversized 2 x 12 cab.
    Want one. But then again I can build one!

20. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

At about 20:40, he's playing an Astoria ...and I don't know if its the setup or the "custom" amp or what...but it just nails that "nasal plexi" sound.

Must be underrated and underappreciated.

Intricate77 and jcm800gridlock like this.