>

Will Marshall Astoria Prices Go Up In A Few Years?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by yngwee, Feb 12, 2018.

?

Will Astoria Price Go Up?

1. They will hold their value well

24.0%
  2. They will eventually gain in value like the Silver Jubilee, AFD, YJM100, etc.

28.0%
  3. They will hold their values no better than production Marshalls

48.0%
  1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Yes, Marshall really dropped the ball on this one and the colors, yuck, thats why I bought the CME Custom. One of ten made. Heres a pic.

x921ynyexovdmknzvacs.jpg

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  2. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

No "big name" players are ever associated with the Astoria... Marshall came to the boutique market way too late to compete... The boutique market is already inundated, and a lot have gained a following, almost a cult-like status....

Yup.... Buzz on the Astoria was DOA...

Ghostman likes this.
  3. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

The astoria fills a niche somewhere and will hold value on the merits. That said, your category “become collectable like Jubilee, etc.” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. What was a 2555 in ‘87... $700 maybe... unless they were more expensive as an anniversary model. What are they today $2,000 heads, 20 years later? Assuming $500 maintenance over 20 years, and you aren’t breaking even after inflation. It “held value” but despite 12+ years of shop talk/internet lore, their prices haven’t exactly matched the hype.

4. yngwee

yngwee Member

Marshall has to take it away for it to develop a following. The Astoria is still being sold right now, so once the last one leaves the shelves and people start looking for that handwired perfecftion, they'll come across them on the net and pay happily to own one.

Of course, nobody know. It's all just something to talk about. If there's one Marshall I'd like to get my hands on it's the AFD100.

5. EndGame00

They bombed the launch...the only ones who promoted the Astoria were a bunch of session/studio players... I doubt Marshall would do an Astoria reissue 30-40 years down the line... Leave the "boutique" market to someone else...

6. yngwee

yngwee Member

Come on man. That's just short-sighted thinking. Marshall earned it's worldwide reputation over 56 years, and you come along and say something like that? What, so only boutique builders can come into the market with a Marshall clone and charge $4000? Sorry, but it's worth buying Marshall's know-how and experience. If Marshall is building boutiques at competitive prices to what the other boutique makers are doing, then it would be ignorant to write them off.

7. EndGame00

No demand for Astoria after launch.... Why get an Astoria when you can get a JMP?

Trapland likes this.
  8. yngwee

yngwee Member

How do you know there was no demand? Do you have special access to Marshall's sales figures? A JMP? Dude, have you ever played a JMP? Do you know how loud you have to play one to get the goods? Did you even read this thread before commenting?

Uh, what features does the JMP have that the Astoria Dual or Custom doesn't? Does the JMP have power reduction, channel-switching like the Astoria dual, or as much gain as the Custom? Have you ever even played an Astoria? I think before you post those kinds of questions, you need to play or hear one for yourself.

Intricate77 and PU239 like this.
  9. AMPPILOT

AMPPILOT Active Member

I play clean and the 66's is the sound for me and my music . I admire the internals HW build and sound .
    I ve never been sold on the visual aspects.

HW amps have have proved to expensive to sell massive quanities and make serious money a big company requires to stay alfloat I don't see a increase in value . But they will probably hold their value better than the run of the meal amps over the long haul. So if you like your astoria why sell it.

My 1962 HW will be sold only after I'm gone. I can't wipe the smile off my face everytime I jam.

10. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Steve Dawson designed all three Astoria amps, it was to be his Swan Song before he left Marshall. I first knew about these amps in 2012 and can tell you Steve poured his heart out into these.

The color of them was not Steves idea, Chris George at the time wanted to give them all a unique look so they would be instantly identifiable from every other black Marshall. Chris had good intentions but it failed. The race stripe on them I suspect is from his love for F1 racing. Now you know. Personally I am sick of the crybaby shit about it. STFU and get a black head cabinet for $200.

Steves favorite amp is a very special 1974 JMP he owns. The Astoria Custom is that JMP amp on steroids. He did not believe it made any sense to make the range 100 or 50 watt, felt 30 watts with proper noise reduction was perfect.

I could go on and on about the features and some things inside very few folks even know about but I am tired of the haters here on this forum.

Had Marshall gave it Black Tolex, and marketed it as modern JMP they would have sold the shit out of them.

The Astoria Classic *Green One) It is a very underrated amp but was meant for the blues player who love raw plexi sound and the use of a OD pedal. It was built to take pedal very well and it does. Remember, he was doing the Gary Moore amp when he passed away and Marshall never released it, or did they.

The Dual was something totally new for Marshall and for those that want a two channel amp.

If you love the old JMPs then you need the Astoria Custom. Many have asked why Marshall never reissued a lower watt JMP, well they did but called it the Astoria Custom. A hot rodded JMP with some excellent features the JMP never had. Most people just dismiss the amp because its red. Mine is Black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  11. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

I'm likely to believe this as well. With any amp, people care about either what can they do with it, what does it sounds like or "who uses it???".

And that's probably their greatest limitation...the people who play Marshalls are mostly satisfied with their production amps. If the "rock stars" are mostly using JVMs and similar, then who uses the Astoria? The semi-pro dudes who love tone and have the $$$$ to spare? That's a small crowd it seems. And the people who want boutique speciality amps...well...Marshall was very late to that game.

I hope they don't cancel it, just streamline the aesthetics or maybe make it PCB.

I smell the writing on the wall. I believe they are going to be a very successful corporation that sells successful products. I'm sure they'd keep it if they make make it low volume, high profit. My suspicious is nothing made in the UK is high profit and eventually they will be forced to move all production overseas.

12. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Good stuff. Keep it coming. I’d love to try one. I’ll be on the lookout for a custom.

13. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Which just solidifies Endgame's claim that it was a massive marketing failure on Marshall. They tried to dip their toe in the Boutique market, and it was a cold reception.

14. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Steve's favorite guitarist is Ritchie Blackmore, thought you would appreciate that.

15. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

It was deliberate. This was at a time after Jim Marshall passed away and there were two very different factions at Marshall with very different ideas on where to go. It was nasty. Makes me sick because there were some awesome amps on the shelf that we will never see now.

There is a reason many good people are not at Marshall anymore. The other side won.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  16. EndGame00

They voiced the Astoria close to JMP... why buy that tomato can if you can get a JMP which will have a higher resale value?

Lets not kid ourself... That white elephant was Marshall’s answer to the boutique market.... and it was a flop.

And PU233... why do you even care when you said it yourself you disassociated yourself with Milton Keynes’s chieftain?

Shouldnt you be rah-rah’ing Martin Kidd’s Victory amps?

17. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I think he brought up the point, that the Astoria is a JMP with the added features that everyone here has been crying about.

It most certainly should have been labeled a new JMP style amp, with that type of model name.

Like I said in one of the other threads, I just don't understand how one handwired turret style amp, can be 10x better than some other handwired turret style amp. With the exception of the parts being used, you cannot physically build an amp different enough to warrant 10x the price.

Pick a Marshall Handwired amp and compare that to some $10,000 Marshall clone, boutique amp, and you tell me where that extra money is justified.

18. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

The amp was never a flop, I do agree the marketing was. And why do you give a shit what I personally think of Marshall, I am adding some information to the thread, like I said the haters on this forum. What are you adding... your personal opinion stated as fact, then you have to start shit Now go fuck yourself .

Intricate77 likes this.
  19. EndGame00

It was a flop. Even with the tolex change from unsightly color schemes to black, and a price drop to boot, it still didn’t bring the buzz to most in the music gear industry, let alone to consumers... Even it was a limited run, people didn’t care....

Astoria line was targeting the wrong market.... they’re competing with Voodoo, Germino, Metropoulos, Bray, Wizard, and among others....you know, THAT demographic, the cork sniffers....

20. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Cool. I had an epiphany when I heard Made in Japan. I’m hunting for a custom.....not easy but I found a couple of candidates. Put my 50th anniversary amps on eBay to fund it. Fingers crossed.

chiliphil1 likes this.