>

Will Marshall Astoria Prices Go Up In A Few Years?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by yngwee, Feb 12, 2018.

?

Will Astoria Price Go Up?

1. They will hold their value well

24.0%
  2. They will eventually gain in value like the Silver Jubilee, AFD, YJM100, etc.

28.0%
  3. They will hold their values no better than production Marshalls

48.0%
  1. yngwee

yngwee Member

The Astoria is really amazing. I mean, I'm not just saying that from an owner's perspective, I mean there are so many great and useful features and little Easter eggs that make it such a kickass amp. It seems to me an amp so well-designed and so feature rich yet simply laid out, and handwired with decades of Marshall know-how, that it's destined to become a very sought-after amp. What do you think?

If you're not familiar with the Astoria, I'll list the features to consider:

* Handwired turret board construction
    * FX loop with manual on/off toggle and footswitchable on/off
    * No load master volume (allows to be used as non-master volume amp)
    * Pull body
    * Edge
    * 5w power reduction
    * FX loop engaged acts as 2nd overall master volume
    * Dual high/low inputs
    * Cathode biased
    * Classic Marshall logo plate
    * Custom tolex colors
    * Silver face plates and vent grills

There are so many ways to use the features of these amps. You have half a dozen effective combinations of EQ, power reduction, body, gain, loop level, no load master, etc.

Another cool feature is that you can turn the EQ controls and edge (presence) all the way off and play the amp with totally unboosted frequencies. This is not really anything special, but a lot of amps won't make any sound if the EQ controls are all off. I've discovered a couple of really nice sounds using it this way.

The Astorias are very special, incredible sounding, fantastically designed, and masterfully handwired amps. It seems like a huge failure on Marshall's part that all these great things went completely under the radar because they just didn't market them effectively and only really for a short period of time.

Given what I now understand, I think once the few remaining Astorias on the new market have sold, they will begin to increase in demand and value.

2. doomsdaymachine

doomsdaymachine Active Member

How/why would they go up? I wouldn't categorize them in the same league as signature gear, as you listed. The Astoria is just another model that has come & gone. That's not to say it's not a great amp, it just never had the appeal.

I vote you'll be able to find used CHEAP, in the coming years.

3. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

My guess is they might hold their value well only because there were not a lot of them made. If more artist start to use them on stage they may do a bit better than the average Marshall. Only time will tell.

5. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I predict their value is going to be all over the map. Because of it's limited run, and Niche market they already cater to, if they do hit the CL or Reverb used markets in the next five years, the prices will either be close to retail and sit on the market for a year or two, or dirt cheap because they need to be moved quickly.

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

It seems the only time an amp holds its value or increases is when I go to buy one...LOL!

7. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Its impossible to predict. We dont even know what the music market will be in 10 years.

Most manufacturers are building cheaper gear. We have an entire generation not picking up musical instruments because they are glued to their phone.

Astoria is still very much an unknown. Rarely if ever will you ever see one in a music store to try. Marshall fucked the promotion of the three amps and their insistence in the aesthetics didn’t help.

None the less they are the highest quality amps Marshall ever made. Each one very different but sound great, they really do not sound like every other Marshall.

For them to go up in price you have to measure how much over their original cost. There are very few Astoria amps in players hands.

If the music market can stay strong, and we get a new generation of players then 20 years from now I would say they could command a premium, but I think 20 years from now owning traditional valve amps will be a thing of the past. In that case who knows, you guys who are in your 20s now may only see digital gear for very cheap when your 40. Would you pay a premium for a old school handwired tube amp?

For those lucky enough to own one, never sell it. Marshall will never build a handwired amp like Astoria again. It is very shaky if Marshall will even keep their other handwired amps in production.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Intricate77 likes this.
  8. Australian

Australian Green Beret Silver Supporting Member VIP Member

Are you saying that the AFD100 has increased in value?
    I’ve see them priced higher than their retail price on ebay sometimes, but do they sell?

9. yngwee

yngwee Member

Yeah, I've seen them sell a few time for around $2200-2500. I've seen them trade at even higher values.

10. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

they are priced so high the only way is down
    but its a great amp non the less

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

they'll be the Dumble of 2065! :)...

12. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

There's a bit of truth in just about every post so far.

Lots of factors regarding the future value of most gear. Some factors might be within the control of the owner (such as condition of the amp) but other factors may not.

But quite honestly, the majority of owners of various Marshall amps on this site don't really seem concerned about value either way. That doesn't mean that we should all adopt the mentality of the majority, but on this site it seems the majority see things like amps as something to play and make your own in whatever way you see fit. I share that idea to a certain extent, but I'll stop there for now.

The Astoria is an good amp and worth the effort of good care and maintenance by their owners. I think that Astoria will retain a small but loyal fan base. But as good as it is and as nice as all it's features, there's already lots of competition from amps with similar features outside of Marshall's product line. Interesting to see how it will fair in the future.

13. yngwee

yngwee Member

OK, I've heard a lot of good comments. However, looking at the features IS the future of the amp market -- aside from digital -- and it's evident because you can see how successful the boutique builders have been with inferior quality. I've already mentioned a few things, but let me lend you a wider aspect here:

First of all, we're talking 30w amps with KT66's. Big tubes, big power, smaller wattage = amazing tone. Bill Landry started making a 30w EL34 version of his G100 a year or so ago. Mike Soldano created the Hot Rod 25 several years ago. Two-Rock has had a big hit with their Studio Pro 35 model which has 6L6's. Marshall just made a huge hit with the DSL20, and what does it have? Yeah, full size tubes and lower wattage.

Marshall has 56 years of amp building knowledge, and 56 years of music history, so the Astoria represents 53 years of legendary amp building put into a handwired masterpiece. I tried to articulate how well designed they are - how the simple features all work together in combinations of ways to build awesome tone. Add on top of that a 5w power mode AND a loop level master volume, and you can have those big old tube cooking up sweet tone at conversation volume.

All I'm saying is that Marshall combined handwired boutique with advanced features and churned out three masterpieces. Yes their marketing sucked, but I think people have reverted back to a more open, organic tone. Even Marshall's own advertising makes it sound like the JVM was a thing of the past because now there's the JVM410HJS.

Nobody knows of course, but I think based on market history and the fact that these are the best amps Marshall has ever made, I'd have to say it's very likely that they'll go up in value over the course of only a few more years.

Intricate77 likes this.
  14. deadear

deadear Active Member

None of the above. I say they will lose their value slightly but not as fast as the made in Vietnam production models

plexilespaul likes this.
  15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Astoria didn't garner any recognition, let's say, a Ken Fischer Trainwreck level..... It's Marshall's "woulda, could, shoulda" white elephant.....
    It was a marketing fail at launch that doomed it....

Crunchifyable likes this.
  16. doomsdaymachine

doomsdaymachine Active Member

Agree. OP is the only one gushing about it. I'm guessing when the smoke clears, they'll be dirt-cheap in the used market.

We can rant and rave about it's features, but 5 years down the road, will these features sell themselves?? No, a good deal will. Otherwise, it'll just be an expensive used amp that nobody's heard of, and sit in somebody's living room collecting dust.

17. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I would have been interested but the new price was high in USA. I bet they are great but I see no buzz at all. The look was a turn off. For that reason and no artist buzz I don’t see the AFD COMPARISON.

IVE NEVER SEEN ONE. But from what I can tell it is great amp, but bad execution by Marshall. I think they could have taken FRIEDMAN head on. But who knows, the margins for Marshall might have been thin and that’s where they had to price it.

My guess is they lose value but I don’t think there are many in the US anyway. So none of the above, they will lose value and in fact will be hard to move without eating it on price.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  18. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Well hopefully I would get more than the £ 1400 I paid for my Astoria combo , particularly as its a 1 of 10 limited edition black one .

19. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Anderson’s has an open box for 999 pounds incl VAT and free shipping. Who knows.

20. Holme

Holme Well-Known Member VIP Member

Deep Purple fan likes this.