>

Will Gibson/MESA Re-Release the Classics?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by crossroadsnyc, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Mesa has re-released some classic Mark amps more than once.

The Mark 1 has been reissued/reinterpreted as:
    SOB
    Mark 1 Reissue
    King Snake

The Mark IIC+ is a mode found in all the Mark Vs. 90, 35, and 25 watt versions all have it.

Arguably none are exact reissues of original amps. But they are very similar, tonally speaking, to their ancestors.

There's be no reason to reissue previous editions of Dual and Triple Rectifiers. Those amps sold in HUGE numbers and are cheap and plentiful on the used market.

I would like to see the Mark II reissued in a version that's faithful to the originals. Whether that's the IIA, IIB, or IIC+, either way they'd get some sales. Personally I had a IIA loaded hundred watt head (100, graphic EQ, reverb) and it was a monster. I would love to get that one back again.

Gibson has rebounded well under the apparently very capable leadership and clear vision of its new CEO, JC Curleigh. Apparently he's someone who "gets it" about guitars and amps and is enough of a guitar nerd that he's got a real clue of what guitar players want in both guitars and amps.

Personally I think that the best possible thing that could have happened to Gibson would have been for PRS to buy Gibson. And then apply PRS quality control standards to building true to spec classic Gibsons to the highest standards of the industry, consistently and repeatably. But what actually happened to Gibson seems to have been very good for the company and their quality anyway.

Phoenician likes this.
  2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

they might try but what can they do to improve on any of them?

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

It's funny you say that. I have heard other's say the opposite, that the EQ ruin's it. I like the EQ myself and think all Mesa's should have it, my Carvin X100b combo has a very good EQ and you can do just about anything with it. (It's a Mesa copy in a way, at the time the Mark 1 came out Carvin had the same look. Even down to an oak cab.) I would love to try a Mark 2 with and without the EQ to see for myself. However I do love those built in 5 band EQ's.

4. Spanngitter

Spanngitter New Member

Did you ever had the joy of repairing some MBs?
    If yes you most likely acknowledge that they could
    - avoid Tube Sockets soldered directly on PCB
    - get rid of these POS Tantal Capacitors (they fail all the time)
    - choose proper Potis which do last
    - do rate the Coupling Caps not so marginal (mainly 400Vdc type used running borderline in Preamp)
    - avoid usage of Vactrols
    - avoid usage of ribbon cables
    - add Bias Control to the Power Tubes
    - avoid componets being strayed over the whole PCB (e.g. GainStage Mute FET placed 20cm away on the other side of the board)
    - make component description readable on PCB with component in place
    In a nutshell said:
    Make them serviceable!

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Well, like @Matthews Guitars mentioned above, the Mark IIC+ is a "mode" found in the amps he listed, rather than the actual amp itself ... seems to me that a faithful recreation would certainly be an improvement, but is the interest/demand there? In the Marshall community, for example, there is always interest in faithful recreations of classic amps, but does the same hold true for the MESA/Boogie community? Is there a sense of history there that Gibson could take advantage of? I guess that's my primary curiosity.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  6. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Mesa have already done a slew of marshall-style amps. My TC100 sounds and feels like a marriage between a Mesa and a Marshall, and there are a bunch that are firmly in the Marshall camp....

Electradyne, Fillmore, Transatlantic, Stiletto...

I wouldn't care if they reissued any of the early Marks, I don't particularly care for that line

*Edit: from everything I've read Gibson will leave Mesa alone to do their thing. I don't foresee much changing if anything

Phoenician likes this.
  7. Matthews Guitars

That's what I've been saying. Gibson's CURRENT management knows that Mesa knows exactly what it's doing. Randy Smith has been a very smart manager of Mesa since he first set up the company in 1969. During all those years, Fender and Gibson have changed hands more than once and both have teetered on the brink of extinction. During the same time, Mesa has remained solid, having NOT fallen prey to the temptation to over-expand as business grows and then get stuck with high overhead when sales collapse and they've got too many employees and facilities for the current workload. It's better to have a backlog of orders to keep filling (that's steady assured business) than to have a big factory full of workers and parts and not enough orders to keep them busy constantly.

Mesa is a solid, profitable, successful company that has only grown its reputation over the last 52 years and counting, and has never at any time been close to bankruptcy. Gibson knows better than to try to change their way of handling business!

in fact, Gibson can learn from Mesa how to be a better company.

Frodebro and Dean Swindell like this.
  8. ricksdisconnected

mesa has almost closed up shop several time.

9. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  10. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

Maybe, but since the big changeover at Gibson - who was dying on the vine with a lunatic for a CEO - were doing very well and had saved themselves already by the time the Mesa thing came about.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

it seems w/ most noteworthy mergers/buyouts, the underdog takes over (superficially)...

The problem though, while they may claim to leave Mesa be, there will always be corporate bean counters, who will decide that corners need to be cut, & usually, w/o knowledge of consequence...

For instance, they ruined Tascam. On the surface Tascam looks the same, but, their products went down the toilet...

So, while Mesa will look the same, on the surface, they'll probably get an internal facelift...

Just like Mullard tubes today vs yesteryear. They are nothing alike, but, to the average consumer, they are a glass tube, w/ metal innards & pass current in a certain way, just like the old Mullards... :shrug:

12. ricksdisconnected

Tascam sure as hell has went to shit i agree. they were once the catz azz.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  13. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

So moral of the story is MESA is a sellout and Gibson is a stinky greedy bitch.
    And all goes to shit in the name of a buck.

14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

yep...

15. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

That's why I've been buying up the mesa's I want now.I don't trust gibson's track record for much of anything.

16. Matthews Guitars

All the things Gibson has done that people didn't like were done when Gibson was under the previous (incompetent) management team. Since JC Curleigh took over, their return to quality and solid decision making has so far been on track. It's why I am not worried about what Gibson will do to Mesa. I think the answer is "Leave you to do what you do. You've managed better in the last 50 years than we have."

Yes, there have been times when Mesa was at risk of going under. But they've never declared bankruptcy or looked for a bailout in 50 years of operation. You can't say that about Fender or Gibson or any of a number of other well known guitar and amp makers. They run a tight ship.

17. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Have you SEEN the numerous video's of guy's having electrostatic problems with those over assed priced murphy lab guitars? They just rub they're hands over the back of body,neck and top and it causes all KINDS of static.Ridiculous.I've had my own problems with gibson finishes and quality control in the past.I've probably had about 100 various gibson's.Still do.Why is it PRS can put together a flawless guitar without any modifications needed,hell not even modifications,the Gibson's most times need to be brought to a tech just to be made PLAYABLE ,and we accept it as just one of those quircky things.

Hogie34 likes this.
  18. Matthews Guitars

PRS has generally flawless finishes for a pretty simple reason: Most PRS guitars use a poly based finish and they lay it on fairly thick. MUCH thicker than Gibson's nitro lacquer finishes. Then the PRS sanders go to work and level out that thicker finish and take out every imperfection and do touchups and make it smooth sanded and perfect and then the guitar gets a FINAL clear coat, which is then sanded out and polished. The answer, then, is that the PRS finish looks like it's a mile deep because...it's a mile deep! If you've ever seen a chip in a PRS finish you'll know I'm speaking the truth. That finish looks great but it's hardly the thinnest possible finish.

Gibson traditionally goes for the thinnest finish possible that has some durability to it. That makes it much more challenging to make it visually perfect, and over a few years it's going to shrink into the wood a bit anyway.

I have some experience doing finishes in both the PRS and Gibson schools of thought. It caused me to adopt my own finish method, which blends both. I follow the PRS method but I shoot it thinner, since I can take my time to sand it out slowly and carefully, as I'm not under any production schedule pressure. Even then when going for a very thin finish, I get a sand-thru or two which leads to a touchup or two.

I think Gibson's issues with guitars needing adjustment in their setup is due to them not having a consistent quality controi standard for all models....or not following through on the implementation of it.

And, to be very honest, I think there's a big difference in the mindset of PRS employees vs. Gibson employees. PRS employees are ALL guitar fanatics and music lovers. I know of people who went to work for PRS specifically because one of the perks of being a PRS employee (after a certain time spent working there) is that you can order a guitar for yourself, an "Employee guitar" which you get for factory cost. And you can pick and choose which of your coworkers does certain phases of its construction for you.

I had a PRS Employee Guitar for a while. It was phenomenally well made. An example of perfect workmanship. It's an SC245, the PRS version of a Les Paul. However, my Les Paul was tonally superior to it. I'm not a big fan of PRS pickups.

On the Gibson side of things, Gibson's workforce has a larger percentage of people who are just there because of the paycheck, and don't play and don't care a lot about guitars.

Peter McAteer likes this.
  19. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Active Member

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing what fun Mesa could weave with some of those old Gibson amp circuits. A Mesa-built GA40 might be kind of interesting.

20. Phoenician

Phoenician New Member

We can dream.