Will a 12" Neo Creamback fit in the SV20C or SC20C?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I know Marshall put that vt jr. in there to be a speaker that “works” for everyone but reverb is full of used ones I think used to be in these combos. I like having speaker breakup mix in with the amp breaking up and it certainly helps that people say the g10 makes the amp seem a little quieter. It’s not an exceptionally loud amp but I feel like I’d get away with a lot more use without an attenuator if the speakers reacted a bit more

I get your concept. That's how I do it. I invest in speakers and you can tune an amp's volume a bit by being creative with them. It's like the 1x10 of this discussion. No, that isn't my optimal either. But, they all sounded good to me. Not a big sound but the characteristics of the speaker is more noticeable. The Greenback 10 will get speaker breakup. The Gold holds together more. I really liked it. Loud little sucker too.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
I had a greenback in mind I got two in the box. Not much difference from the Junior. junior has a little more bite maybe
I don’t think the junior is a bad speaker but after playing a ‘57 champ a bunch I’ve come to realize speaker breakup is a pleasant thing and the SV20 even while dimed just isn’t going to push enough air to get that 50w speaker going the same way I think it’d pummel a 30w speaker

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
I get your concept. That's how I do it. I invest in speakers and you can tune an amp's volume a bit by being creative with them. It's like the 1x10 of this discussion. No, that isn't my optimal either. But, they all sounded good to me. Not a big sound but the characteristics of the speaker is more noticeable. The Greenback 10 will get speaker breakup. The Gold holds together more. I really liked it. Loud little sucker too.
If I was running a 2x10 or a 4x10 I’d probably mix the Gold and Greenbacks for the best of both worlds. Speaker breakup is what I live for but I’ve heard clips of this amp with a g10 gold and I was just as astonished with all the additional high end clarity they bring

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a greenback ... Not much difference from the Junior. junior has a little more bite maybe
the SV20 even while dimed just isn’t going to push enough air to get that 50w speaker going the same way I think it’d pummel a 30w speaker
I've stayed out of this thread because I don't have either studio, but I've A/B'd the G10M-30 & VT jr. with my O20H for another MF'er.
They are very similar.
Yes, the GB will break a little sooner, and yes, the Jr. has a little more bite.
But so close I could dial them to almost the same with just the tilt knob on the O20H.
If I'd have played with the EQ in the loop, I could have easily reversed the outcome for someone in a blind test.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
If I was running a 2x10 or a 4x10 I’d probably mix the Gold and Greenbacks for the best of both worlds. Speaker breakup is what I live for but I’ve heard clips of this amp with a g10 gold and I was just as astonished with all the additional high end clarity they bring

That's exactly what the Gold sounds like. The drive and sustain is there. Just cleaner. I didn't like it as much pushing the shit out of it like the Greenback but there was a sweet spot where it had that Alnico singing quality. The Greenback, I don't know how a pedal fits in to that. Straight in on high treble on 7 or 8 was plenty of gain.

The two are so different sounding it's all in what fits really. Thin Lizzy or Kiss or ABB or Skynyrd

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
I've stayed out of this thread because I don't have either studio, but I've A/B'd the G10M-30 & VT jr. with my O20H for another MF'er.
They are very similar.
Yes, the GB will break a little sooner, and yes, the Jr. has a little more bite.
But so close I could dial them to almost the same with just the tilt knob on the O20H.
If I'd have played with the EQ in the loop, I could have easily reversed the outcome for someone in a blind test.
I’m not against the way the vt jr sounds so it works for me but that earlier speaker breakup of the greenback is the main appeal of it for me. I’ve dimed the SV20 more times than I can remember and vt junior didn’t cave in the slightest. I like the sound of speakers having a bit of trouble keeping up with the amp and the vt junior just won’t do that

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
That's exactly what the Gold sounds like. The drive and sustain is there. Just cleaner. I didn't like it as much pushing the shit out of it like the Greenback but there was a sweet spot where it had that Alnico singing quality. The Greenback, I don't know how a pedal fits in to that. Straight in on high treble on 7 or 8 was plenty of gain.

The two are so different sounding it's all in what fits really. Thin Lizzy or Kiss or ABB or Skynyrd
That sounds about right with what I was expecting, I like Alnicos for that additional high end clarity and chime but nothing really falls apart like a greenback does. Proper, woody mids while clean or slightly driven to adding its own distortion to the Marshall JMP type sound when you start moving some air

Moony

Reaction score
I honestly think the differences with the 10" versions of the popular Celestions are less big than with the 12" ones.
But that's not a Celestion only thing, it's the same with WGS speakers also (the Retro10 and ET-10 sound more similar than their 12" equivalents).

Latest posts