Will a 12" Neo Creamback fit in the SV20C or SC20C?

stefann

Reaction score
Title. I just realized how lightweight the Studio combos are compared to the head + cab setups, but I'd really like a 12" speaker. I've done some Googling on this topic already but haven't found much. Has anybody tried this, or owns the combos and can take some measurements? The Neo Creambacks are supposed to be lower-profile, less deep than regular 12" speakers.

Last edited:

pedecamp

Reaction score
Title. I just realized how lightweight the Studio combos are compared to the head + cab setups, but I'd really like a 12" speaker. I've done some Googling on this topic already but haven't found much. Has anybody tried this, or owns the combos and can take some measurements?
I dont think they do without performing some major surgery. Better off just getting an extension cab to put the speaker in, then you'll have a mini stack! :yesway:

stefann

Reaction score
I dont think they do without performing some major surgery. Better off just getting an extension cab to put the speaker in, then you'll have a mini stack! :yesway:
As I said, the whole idea was to have a lighter/more portable rig. The combos are lighter than the head + cab, and obviously getting the combo + cab is the heaviest option

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
It seems by general consensus that the Studio series sound better with a 10" in that cab. 12s sound boxy acvording to many here that have tried it. If you like it as is, why change?
If you don't have one yet better try it first.

junk notes

Reaction score
R63cxdE.jpg
SXb10h1.jpg

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Having had a look in mine I reckon there's room for the 12" cone - the issue seems to be the depth. The amp chassis is vertical and overlaps the cone. I'd want to put the speakers next to each other to compare the profile. Having said that I held off from buying my SV combo for ages because of the 10" driver. I needn't have worried - it sounds great.. That said I have yet to take it out so I don't know how it will go up at high volumes. If it needs it I will get the extension cab and if necessary put a 12" in that.. The combo is so light that the extra cab - which I imagine is a darn sight lighter - wouldn't bother me. It'd look really cool too.

junk notes

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Studio Series combo enclosures are close in dimensions with the 1x12 mini Jube being 1" taller, and an inch wider.
If you put an SC chassis in a mini Jube combo enclosure, then swapped out the 12" V-type speaker with a Celestion G12-65 - you get the ever so famed and loved 4010.

Seriously, if the 10" was such a great idea and soo desirable, then today's Marshall should have offered their new customers a matching 1x10 enclosure? With that, I have not heard a single reference to a Pro using a Marshall 1x10 combo. Absolutely great reviews by Pro's with the head versions.
IMHO having a 10" speaker and using the JCM 800 and 1959 name to sell an amp is plain old marketing to the new customer base.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
You can stuff a regular Greenback into a Lead 12's cabinet, either combo or one of the 1x10s, even if you DON'T trim the baffle hole, which you SHOULD do if you do that swap.

The SV20 has a bigger cabinet than that.

I'm sure that you can easily fit a 12" Celestion, almost any of them, into that cabinet.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve said from the beginning when these Studio amps came out in January 2019, ‘why didn’t Marshall put a 12” speaker in the SC and SV combos?

I thought why, why does the mini Jub have a 12 and the SC and SV don’t. Also, why is there no 10” ext. cabinet for these amps?

Marshall claims they tested all kinds of speakers including 12” speakers, and this 10” V-type was the best sounding of them all!? :hmm:

I’ve heard these combos owners say these amps sound great,... and in the videos I’ve seen, they do indeed sound great! :applause:

I know a couple of guys here have shoehorned a 12 “ speaker, like @junk notes posted, in their Studio combo. I’d love to hear/see a shootout of a stock 10” in the combo and a 12” in the combo side by side, that would be interesting to me to hear. :agreed:

SteelLucky

Reaction score
I have the 10” Creamback in my SC20C. Sounds great though I’m not sure it was worth the cost to swap the VT-Jr out.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I had the head. With all the complaints about the combo, unwarranted IMO, I tested mine into a 1x10.

I thought a G10 Greenback sounded very 70s rock. Bright with plenty of harmonics. A G10 Gold Alnico had some ABB genre type tones.

If you love 12s then why are you trading that for weight. Ain't none of this gear that heavy. Cramming a 12 in still doesn't change the size of the box which is just as important.

Finnster

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Studio Series combo enclosures are close in dimensions with the 1x12 mini Jube being 1" taller, and an inch wider.
If you put an SC chassis in a mini Jube combo enclosure, then swapped out the 12" V-type speaker with a Celestion G12-65 - you get the ever so famed and loved 4010.

Seriously, if the 10" was such a great idea and soo desirable, then today's Marshall should have offered their new customers a matching 1x10 enclosure? With that, I have not heard a single reference to a Pro using a Marshall 1x10 combo. Absolutely great reviews by Pro's with the head versions.
IMHO having a 10" speaker and using the JCM 800 and 1959 name to sell an amp is plain old marketing to the new customer base.

Are you saying that the chassis mounting holes line up if you were to swap the SC20 into the Mini Jube combo?

If so, that would be an interesting tone experiment.

Also, the mini Jube combo is loaded with a Greenback from the factory.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
I had the head. With all the complaints about the combo, unwarranted IMO, I tested mine into a 1x10.

I thought a G10 Greenback sounded very 70s rock. Bright with plenty of harmonics. A G10 Gold Alnico had some ABB genre type tones.

If you love 12s then why are you trading that for weight. Ain't none of this gear that heavy. Cramming a 12 in still doesn't change the size of the box which is just as important.
Good to hear that since I’m waiting on a g10 greenback to throw in my SV20c. The stock vt jr. just won’t give or break up at volume like greenbacks do and when people have compared the 12 inch version of the v type and a g12m the v type just sounded muffled to me. I’m expecting the same when the vt jr gets swapped out for a more lively greenback

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Good to hear that since I’m waiting on a g10 greenback to throw in my SV20c. The stock vt jr. just won’t give or break up at volume like greenbacks do and when people have compared the 12 inch version of the v type and a g12m the v type just sounded muffled to me. I’m expecting the same when the vt jr gets swapped out for a more lively greenback

Yeah. I had the SV212 with the V's. They aren't a bad speaker. They'll go with about anything but a 25 watt Greenback or Heritage model, which i preferred, has more presence and punch.

I think i read it here the SV puts out around 27 watts. It did push that single G10 pretty good.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Yeah. I had the SV212 with the V's. They aren't a bad speaker. They'll go with about anything but a 25 watt Greenback or Heritage model, which i preferred, has more presence and punch.

I think i read it here the SV puts out around 27 watts. It did push that single G10 pretty good.
I know Marshall put that vt jr. in there to be a speaker that “works” for everyone but reverb is full of used ones I think used to be in these combos. I like having speaker breakup mix in with the amp breaking up and it certainly helps that people say the g10 makes the amp seem a little quieter. It’s not an exceptionally loud amp but I feel like I’d get away with a lot more use without an attenuator if the speakers reacted a bit more

Latest posts