Wigs & spandex for hire ...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
In most areas I would say that it’s more of an audience problem than a band problem. People just don’t go out to see local live music like they used to, so there isn’t a lot of demand for bands.
sort of...

Back, in the '70s, bands dressed up, think Zeppelin, Queen, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath.

In the '80s, there was the spandex/hair thing.

But, the clothes in the '70s was considered feminine by many, along w/ the long hair.

Back then, no matter what you thought of the dress, it separated the bands from the ordinary folk you'd be at work w/.

In the '90s, bands stopped looking like bands & looked like the unemployed teenager you left home sleeping on the couch.

That kind of made it not so transcendent. They no longer resembled rock stars, just ordinary Joes.

Then ticket prices go through the roof... to see ordinary Joes...

That's why tribute bands are so successful. They play the part of rock stars, whereas contemporary artists play the unemployed teenager sleeping on the couch... who wants to pay to see that?

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Everybody is wearing a wig. Every. single. time. I watch any music documentary, half the interviewees are wearing wigs. It's totally obvious. No one is manly enough to say fuck it and shave their head. Or it's in their contract that they have to maintain their trademark image or some such bs because they won't look like they do in the merch items. Either way, an obvious veal cutlet on your head does NOT look cool.

Adieu

Reaction score
I have quite a few friends, who are doing tribute bands & raking in the money. They dress the part & that's part of it...

What kind of money do they actually pocket, per person, per show? And how many shows per year?

royslead

Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem doing this at all. You can wear the wigs and clothes and not have to look like the cheesy Halloween costume everyone thinks about. I don't have enough hair anymore to look the part, so if it paid well (and I've been saying this for a while- tribute bands are where the money is nowadays)- yeah, I'm in.