Why the SV20 H/C is almost useless (to me anyway)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Feb 17, 2021.

1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Just picked up a used Bad Cat Unleash. SV20 + Bad Cat Unleash = Play any place you want with a foot switchable volume boost (assuming the SV isn't running full volume un-attenuated).

2. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yah...but should you put an audience through a boost?

I tease. I love it has a volume boost. Totally useful when playing out.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

You can also have a quick clean channel using a LP or similar guitar. Just set a pickup for that and flick to it.

4. solarburnDSL50

Oh...I'm on the wrong thread. Thought I was on the SC. My bad.

Some of you Plexi users? Really? Make our Marshallz proud!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yup. I like mine. I find the only tonal difference to have slightly less high end. Easily rectified, I use mine primarily with the single channel 800s.
    I should try it with the Jubilees as well. Instead of EQ boost in loop although that works too.

6. solarburnDSL50

Having an attenuator boost is cool.

I have never let any sound man control my solo level. And I've never needed to spend money on a gadget. Trooth!

There are ways. Without throwing money away. Oh the shit I've done to the board. Yep...that's where I'm at...not. I'm sure that guy matters?

tallcoolone likes this.
  7. Jethro Rocker

I gotta spend it on something! Toys it is...
    It is a useful gadget, could run a 5 watt to 50 or 100.
    Use as attenuator.
    Use as a 2nd channel volume.
    Add an effects loop.
    Use in combinations.

tallcoolone likes this.
  8. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Unleash is a great piece of kit! John was very helpful with mine when the power amp went. Love the footswitchable boost!

9. Biff Maloy

I'm glad to see some of you like and have used the Unleash. My favorite part is the effects loop. That far back in the signal makes them take on a different character from the normal pre/power spot. An eq is a lot more responsive also. My 10 Band sounded good there.

10. marshallmellowed

I finally got a chance to try the FX loop of my Unleash with the SV20. In the case of the SV, I'm not really hearing a huge improvement using the Unleash loop, vs. the SV loop. Maybe it varies from amp to amp. Maybe someone else can try theirs and see what they think.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  11. Jethro Rocker

My 4010 has no loop so with that I have loop, switchable boost, attenuator. Never tried to replace stock loops with mine.

12. Guitarman1996

Guitarman1996 Member

I sort of had the same thoughts when I got the SV20h a year ago. That treble cap also got under my skin since you had to turn it up to 6 before it would go away..... Was on the way to selling and I was told about the JHS Blackbox in the loop... Tried it out and I really liked it!! Yes I did have to alter what the amp is "designed" for but there's no rules for creating your tone.... What I found was by cranking the SV20h volume up then using the Black Box to bring the volume down to whatever was needed it cleaned up with this awesome clean tone that my Fender's didn't get!! Added a Timmy in front and I was sold! Ended up getting the 2x12 cab to go with it was suggested to change out the bright cap with a smaller volume so I went with that and basically now turning up to 4 on the treble channel removes the cap from the circuit..... Much more pedal friendly and useable

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  13. Biff Maloy

But, there's a difference? Right? I didn't mean to imply night and day. The Unleash can give also you an easy wet/dry rig. Go to the last partof this video.

I guess I'm stopping here with my thoughts on the Unleash until i get mine working. It has been several years since i used it and my entire experience with it was with the 50th Anniversary Marshalls.

14. marshallmellowed

Yeah, I've seen that video. Wet/Dry always sounds "bigger" than a single amp with a mix of Dry/FX. As for using the Unleash loop with a a single amp, I found I had to run the FX level of my TC Hall of Fame much higher in the loop of the Unleash to get the same level of reverb. Beyond that, it did sound "different", but in my particular case, I wouldn't say "better".

15. Biff Maloy

Yep. Just different. I just remember getting a little more separation of the effect. I mostly ran a Flashback X4. The modulations in some echos came across a little more noticeable. I said I'd used a 10 band prior to the delay. I don't think i ever had the sliders past the detent. It just sounded good in the signal and never figured out why. I just kept it in there.

16. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

To me, a "real" W/D, where the W side is 100% wet (no dry signal), feels very weird, almost lopsided, especially when using delay (I never use reverb, and rarely modulation in the FX loop). Which is why I prefer stereo by quite a large margin. I've told that this isn't the case with W/D/W, but obviously requires yet another cab and its amplification, so kinda annoying (more gear to haul around, more stage real estate, one more mixer channel).

JamminJeff likes this.
  17. Benny2112

Benny2112 Member

My issue wasn't just about the SV20 being "too loud". I just needed control over the volume for different situations. Not too many shows goes by (none actually) that the soundman is not asking me to turn down, regardless of what amp I am using. And acceptable sound levels will vary by venue.

The JHS Little Black Amp Box gave me that flexibility (at an affordable price). I can keep my tone, all while being able to turn the volume up or down accordingly. It all boils down to what works for your needs and situation. Does it sound exactly like the amp at full volume? No, not quite. Does it still sound amazing and am I happy with my tone? Most definitely. And in the end, getting the sound I want and being able to control the level of it are all that matter.

18. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member

I find the term "loud" to be relative. My 2204 I find loud at certain times of day. My neighbors can hear me. I don't care. It sounds good. So I got the new SV20H and run it into a 2x12 with greenbacks. The same decibel as my 2204 combo but less thump so it doesn't seem as loud to me. I don't gig any more too old. So I just record at home now.

JamminJeff and Sustainium like this.
  19. Eirwan

Eirwan New Member

I have had my SV20H for a year, and I always gigged it with a tone king Ironman mini. It is far more affordable than, say, the Boss Tube expander that I saw recommended earlier, and it has a boost switch, and what it does is that it does not turn off the attenuator, but it reduces the attenuation by +3 or +6 db (relative to your current attenuation level). This always allows me to make the solos heard. Btw, I will definitely try the idea of the EQ to make a clean channel.

tce63, wntbtw and Bergstrom like this.
  20. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

This is my basic set-up as well. The JHS volume box helped me balance the SV20H/SV212 with a second amp/cab. The JHS box (or similar) does somewhat effect the great tone of this head, but there is more than enough great tone to start with so it leaves plenty in reserve.

The balance of cleaner gain from volume VS. low volume/high gain has been a challenge since the day electric guitar became a thing, the latter of which is where the the infamous "weedeater tone" comes from. :D

As a side note, guitarists that have never or rarely play loud (or learned from playing loud) will probably be very disconcerted with plexi-type/NMV amps. While I may be slightly off topic, I find the SV20H (and similar) not to be as "touch senstive" as some other amps I have and/or have used, so there is a slight difference, but good feel with the SV20H. Pair this amp with a more touch sensitive amp and you just might find some of that magic tone sauce that we hear on all the great rock albums of yesteryear.

Hearing protection is advised for extended use. :agreed:

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.