Why the SV20 H/C is almost useless (to me anyway)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Feb 17, 2021.

1. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Yeah totally. If the venue can't deal with a real band using acoustic drums, JUST DON'T F.....G HIRE THEM !!!
    I'm not playing with canned drums (err, e-drums) anymore, unless the pay is CRAZY good (like, 500€ for 2hrs). To me that's a complete buzzkill. And once we're talking acoustic drums and any semi-decent drummer (one that actually hits the skins properly), guitar volume won't be much of an issue with the SV. At worst, dim it lightly with an attenuator or a volume box (whatever floats your boat) and you'll be fine.
    With my old band we once played this small downtown club where the staff complained about us being too loud for the entire night. At the end of the show, the club owner wanted to hire us back (we had a nice following, so the club was packed and I guess the bar made quite some money), we just declined and told him he'd better hire some quieter, acoustic band, not a rock band. And we weren't even that loud to begin with (I've played with and run sound for bands that were MUCH louder).
    Wanna talk ? Get outside. But if you're at a bar that has a live band and want to have a nice quiet conversation, you're just at the wrong place.
    Seriously, people are f'in annoying sometimes...
    Okay, end of rant.

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I like this kind of commitment!

When I was gigging, (a hundred years ago), I used a 100 watt Fender Super Six Reverb, and the other guitarist in the band had a 50 watt Marshall,...we both played just about flat out.

This was in the mid 70s, and most places that we played usually had a big room with a bar and a stage, and another room where people would be eating and drinking where they could have a conversation. The folks in the bar where we would be playing, had to shout into the other persons ear to be heard!

No one really cared, in fact they loved it,...they wanted it loud,..., they expected it to be loud! If you didn’t like it loud you would hang in the other room.

I just can’t imagine playing stuff like Highway Star or Foxy Lady or Hocus Pocus by Focus, etc., with an amp set at 5 watts!! :noplease:

Anyone here remember Hocus Pocus by Focus?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  3. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Yeah. We played that one!!

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  4. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It’s NOT too loud! The 5W mode is loud in a bedroom. Your attenuator idea is a good one. But in a band setting, 5W mode is not nearly loud enough and the 20W mode works. In a band setting the 20W mode is not wicked loud and frankly if you're playing a club its balls to the wall. I’m talking playing rock n roll not church music.

5. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

^^ Yes!

6. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

7. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Well, when you are only bringing home 1-200 bucks after tipping everyone you get real bold lol. NYE gig last year we told the owner, ‘we don’t turn down but we can leave, your call’. Place was packed so he went and told his whiny wife there was nothing he could do lol. Key is bringing your own sound guy.

I had one of those Super Six Reverbs back in the 90s—you are a better guitar player than me if you sounded at all good out of it!

8. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

This.^^^

With a Plexi circuit that requires volume management? Figure it out. I've been through house systems, other sound guys or our own. Recording whatever. The Plexi kills in many different senarios. Based on my ability to manage volume? Some guitar players just shouldn't own a Plexi. It's always operator error unless the amp has a mechanical. Many guitarist have mechanicals. Separate from the amp. It's called impatient and not working with the given circuit.

Some will make it look like the amps inability to act right but too many times it's the players inability to apply gear. Too many times we see misapplication and inability for a player to find that zone.

I've been all these players at one time or another. I can get a Plexi smok'n on volume 1. This thread has been click baited and trolled from the start. Plexi amps rip whatever volume. Deep breath...use some other approaches. Recording is miles away from live tone. A Plexi sure as Fuck won't save you.:lol:

9. Coachmoe

Coachmoe New Member

Deep, my point is this: people on here complaining about the SV 20 being too loud, they must not have a lot of gigging experience. Some people might want to try an attenuator to solve their problem. When I played at church with my Dr. Z Maz 18 NR, I usually went 2 clicks on the Brake Lite to keep things manageable. With other bands, I NEVER use the Brake Lite. The master volume helps with the Dr.Z, but my reason for wanting the SV 20 H is to get that Marshall sound only big bottles will give you. I have a friend who can get great tones out of his SV 20 H using channel jumping and an OCD pedal and it still gets that sound at a reasonable volume. In fact, I was at his place Sunday checking out his head and it's definitely what I'm looking for. No more attenuation for me!:dude::dude::dude::dude:

10. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Don't see any reference here as to whether the op is using 10" combo or head through 4x12 but just this SV20H/C amp is too loud even in 5w mode :hmm: maybe the mods could add a troll alert symbol?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Deep Purple fan likes this.
  11. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

I think the best thing we can do, is start talking religion. DoD will close us down and we can all start playing loud again.

let's rock.

G

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  12. Mark Collier

Mark Collier Member

You are being very forceful in your opinion so I just wanted to add to this thread.

After our first band practice with SV20 and SV212 cab, I have to say I beg to differ and want to offer a contrasting experience.

I was fully expecting to run the SV on 20w mode and 1 or both switches on my 2 x 6db attenuator (6/12 db total) but it was way too loud.

Maybe 10 years ago I woudl agree with you but these days most premies are very controlled and tight with volume.

This wasn't a full on make your ears bleed practice BUT it was with an accoustic drum set, played mid-volume. NOT Dave Grohl style.

I ended up on 5w with the full 12db attenuator and riding the volume for clean and crunch with a Bad Monkey as required.

My SV can get VERY loud, louder than I think I could gig comfortably with unless it was a large situation. Pretty much as loud as my AC30 which I previously used to gig with, also with the 12 db attenuator but at approx 10 o clock on the master volume.

I will also add, it sounded fricking awesome. It is a bit bright in my muisc room but in the band practice room it was perfect.

13. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Discussion for another thread maybe, but unless its a big venue you don't really need to be louder than a drummer. That's already loud enough to potentially damage hearing.

Wattage is only part of it. I have a 50W JVM instead of a 20W head, because I need low end the 20W Studio can't give me. But that might be to do with other components of the amp, as well as the wattage.

My preference in a band, is a 4by12 cab. That's not to do with volume but projection. The volume of the amp itself won't actually be that high.

The 'traditional,' Marshall amp head was designed in an age were PA's were inadequate or non existent, and you potentially had to fill a large area with volume. We don't need that anymore, but there are other aspects of tone which only those big old style heads can give.

Perhaps a player wants the sound of a lower wattage amp distorting and grunting, next to a manic drummer. Or the option to switch to pristine cleans, with the same drummer. The latter may require a larger amp.

And then there's lower volumes; at conversation level my 50W JVM gives me more satisfaction, than some lower wattage amps. Again, that's due to the amp not the wattage.

So it's not about 'how loud,' it's about what your amp sounds like at the volumes you need it to be. And it's a mistake to presume a higher wattage amp, can't function well at lower volumes.

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  14. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. Marshall finally builds a 20W Plexi style amp with a 5W mode ....... and its too loud! I played mine yesturday and was happy. The amp is fantastic.

Where was your band practice? Was in a basement, living room? I was not being forceful . The OP made a statement that I disagreed with strongly. It is a NMV tube amp. The implications of that is obvious. Having said that, I owned 2 100W 1959 SLPs. One was a model year 1977 and the other was a new HW. The vintage amp killed attenuators. It was hard to tame. The new HW was slightly easier but still a beast. The SV has the sound. Its easy to eq and its easy to manage volume. It delivers reliably and easily. It also has a transparent effects loop. I suppose they could have put a 1W mode in it.

WellBurnTheSky, wntbtw and tce63 like this.
  15. booh

booh Member

... and I suppose 1W is still too loud (I have one).

Deep Purple fan and tce63 like this.
  16. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Some might see it as a joke but that's why i suggested in his situation to consider a 1 watt, a set of Rolands and set the band up off that. I did that for about 3 years with a group that played his scenario. Yes, it was different from the norm but these guys had it seriously going on PA wise, everything was miked and could adapt to a wide range of volume pending the size audience and location. It was a ton of fun for me having all the 50th Anniversaries to try out but for the band you didn't have to fight anything to get the sound right. Some of us old rockers could learn a thing or two from some of these "church" bands in todays environments.

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  17. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

The "boost VS channel" issue seems to be one of the topics that creates some unhappiness with amps. The use of jumpers in a 4-hole just adds to the confusion. I have heard of people using AB/Y switchers in the 4-hole, but I've never seen it personally plus I'm not clear on how to make this work in a jumper configuration. A simple volume knob has been reported to work successfully in the effect loops to reduce overall volume output, but I wonder what it does to the tone ??

Volume, like tone, is subjective.

Boost is just what it says it is, just like a boost pedal.

Amps with 2 or 3 channels make sense in a cover band that deals with a wide variety of music, but rarely do they have THAT tone we all seek, whatever it is.

Fiddling with 3 channels is a tone chasers delight, until it isn't. YMMV

p.s. I've had to edit one too many posts today so I'm done until tomorrow !

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  18. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

IME it is easy to add a 'clean channel' to a NMV amp by adding an EQ in front. Works like your guitar volume and most NMV Marshalls clean up reall nice with the guitar vol. That and a boost pedal (Klone/TS) with levels goosed and dialed in with little to no gain and you have a surprisingly flexible live rig.

19. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

I blame it on Disco music !

20. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

You shut up! How dare you Fucking know. How dare you.

Fabulous approach.:eddie:

tallcoolone and Mitchell Pearrow like this.