Why the SV20 H/C is almost useless (to me anyway)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I find the JHS LBB, when dialed back gives be just a bit more headroom to allow for a great volume boost (when I engage the Storm). The attenuator allows me to dial back the overall volume of playing on the 20W setting.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Mine squealed horribly so I had to do all that work, even light gain it would squeal, no more squeal and 60 cycle hum is minimal. I wouldnt mind figuring out how to put humbuckers in it but I just havent bothered.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  3. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

Using the SV in clubs/theaters/sports bars etc. An amp with master volume, no problem. But this fucker will go through the roof. People talking about JHS boxes, attenuators and stuff. That only destroys the sound, making the amp ’name-less’. Damping the signal (JHS) changes the signal, and you will loose quality and gain. And the 5W mode is maybe 5W on the circuitboard, but not in the ears... I’m selling it

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    tce63 likes this.
  4. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

I'd do away with the guitar cab and go FRFR with it using speaker sims. That way you can dial in anything on the amp.

5. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I have a Princeton I’ll swap for it. It’s guaranteed not to get too loud.

6. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Member

Not sure what a SV20 even is (would have to look it up, can’t be bothered ;) .) But for what it’s worth, the non-classic Marshall I own works great for low and high volume playing, in my opinion anyhow. It’s a JVM 210H, currently through a 2x12. All up, heavy but still portable too.

Between the channels, amp footswitch and a volume pedal (plus on-guitar volume control of course), I’m sorted.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. booh

booh New Member

I once made microphone recordings with of a Marshall 1974x with and without attenuation (Weber Mass): listen to the recordings -set to the same volume- it made no audible sound difference. Listen to the amp while recording there was loss of brightness. Hence loudness makes the difference.
    Yes, that's because of withdrawing from power stage saturation. But power stage saturation is the desired feature, makes the sound more complex.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

No need for that He needs to try one of the smaller JVM's.

9. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The Weber Mini Mass I use with mine most certainly does not degrade the sound. It does cut a bit of high end but the built-in 3dB and 6dB treble boost toggle makes up for this.

Sounds like your mind is made up, though. I guess nothing can be all things to all people.

scozz and Bergstrom like this.
  10. BatmansMarshall

Can they do lead tones at low volume?

11. giblesp

My head/cab certainly can. Satisfaction at conversation level, completely rocking at drummer level.

Of course, conversation level is never going to be as good but most of my practice is at low levels. Completely fine for me, and I own a Kemper. Way more detail, response to technique with the Marshall whatever the level.

Had a mini Jubilee head for a while, but sent it back due to lack of thump whatever the volume level.

BatmansMarshall likes this.
  12. BatmansMarshall

That's pretty amazing because any Marshall lead tone I have heard without engaging the power tubes a good bit just seems to have a dullness to them.

13. giblesp

JVM are known for working at low volumes, but do try it yourself. What is ok for me may not be for you. It does need cranking to be brought fully to life, but as I said its fully satisfying at lower volumes IMO.

14. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Just a sanity check here. In 5W mode the amp is not loud enough to be heard over any rock drummer I’ve played with. Try playing Highway Star or Burn with a band in 5W mode. LMAO. Can’t be done. Certainly the 5W mode is for home studio use.

A club that holds >100 customers presumably with staff and a bar and the amp is too loud? Not trying to be argumentive but I’m calling BULLSHIT on this one.

15. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

That was a damn interesting read! I have a SV20H and a SC20H with matching 212 cabs so it was great to hear everyone’s experiences and solutions to getting workable volumes and tones.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Coachmoe

Coachmoe New Member

I am thinking about getting an SV20H and mating it to a 2x12 Celestion Creamback loaded cabinet. If the volume on the SV 20 is really THAT loud, why not use a Dr. Z Brake Lite attenuator? At setting #1 - -2Db, #2, 5Db, #3, 8Db, #4, 11Db. They come in a stand alone version as well as a cabinet mount. Have one in My Maz 18 NR and also one in my Princeton Reverb FSR with a 12" Celestion . I've used one since 2009 and they work really well.

17. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I do agree about the Brake Lite being a great option. I have used it with my Z-Wreck, Maz 18, Gaia, and a little with my Therapy. However, for some reason the Weber Mini Mass 50 sounds better than the Brake Lite with my SV 2X12 rig.

I think this thread kind of came to an end with the OP not wanting to use any type of attenuation due to the fact that it changes the way the amp is meant to be used and the tone.

18. Coachmoe

Coachmoe New Member

Personally, I’m looking forward to getting that Marshall sound without a master volume. I’ve played a Maz 18 NR as my main amp since 2009 but I find myself wanted something different. I’ve also gigged a lot with a DRRI and a 59 Bassman RI and I can’t believe that the SV 20 would be any louder than those amps.

19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I have the combos the deluxe sounds bigger with bigger cab and huge 100 watt speaker its a warm full sounding amp.

20. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

If it wasn’t for @Jethro Rocker confirming he’s been in a similar situation I wouldn’t have believed this. Sorry but for what we get paid to play out nowadays if I can’t make some noise I’m not doing the gig. Right up front we say it’s our sound engineer and there will be no hearing polite conversation while we are on stage. Don’t like it then hire a solo acoustic guy.