Why the SV20 H/C is almost useless (to me anyway)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Hey @Bergstrom what type of music are you playing and what sort of clubs are you playing at? I'm sure it's not fun to have people screaming at you about your volume while you are there trying to do your job, but seriously, screaming about 5 watts??
    In the Rock n Roll bars/clubs in my area most bands are/were using 50W or 100W Marshall and comparable Mesa heads and 4x12 cabs without (any visible) attenuation. Yes, it's loud as [email protected]#k but it's RNR and nobody is complaining and no bands are being thrown out. I started bringing ear plugs years ago if standing anywhere near the front.
    I don't think Marshall amps were ever designed for playing softly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Old Punker

If it does exactly what you want, then it's exactly right!

Wouldn't your setup also work very well without the attenuator? If I understand correctly, you are using the JHS LBB to control your stage volume, and then you engage the Storm for your solo boost? So why the attenuator?

Or do you use the attenuator to achieve power tube distortion and just use the JHS/Storm to fine tune rhythm/lead levels? :scratch:

3. Old Punker

Yup, this sounds like the simplest workable solution to the OP's problem! :agreed:

scozz, pedecamp and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I did single coils neck pickup strat my tele sounded great over the weekend with a greenback 10 in.Have to play it loud bro:)

5. Old Punker

@Shane Stevenson thanks for the reply. Your views help to build the case for another gear expense in my future! I guess it's really hard to capture all of the beautiful tones produced by Marshall amps in one model. I just want to make sure I don't have too much overlap happening. I see that you (and others) have kept both.

When I bought the SC20H I was only thinking about covering all of the punk/hardcore music of my youth, and it does so exceedingly well. Lately I've been thinking about expanding my horizons, some less aggressive stuff, classic rock (Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin), as well as some heavier stuff (System of a Down). I'm pretty sure that for the heavier stuff my SC20 will be best, but maybe the SV would have the edge for classic rock? Do you play any heavier tunes on your SV20?

Also, I compared the 2x12 cabs for the SC and SV online and they look like essentially the same cabinet (same speakers, etc.), minus the cosmetic differences? If I pick up the SV I would probably have it sit on top of my SC and share the cab I have.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Old Punker

I know what you mean, when I first plugged my Mosrite copy (single coils) into my SC20H it was kind of ear-piercing. Then I noticed that my Holy Grail reverb (in the loop) really thickened up the tone nicely, combined with EQ pedal in loop and adjusting the presence, treble, and bass on the amp I now can get a really nice tone with the single coils. It took some effort though.

GregM, Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  7. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

when I play loud that's when i do my pickup adjustments and dial it in the best I can.

8. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

The cabs are the same animal in different clothes. Don’t worry about a cab unless you want to have a bit more of a vintage look about your rig. Both cabs look great with both amps in mismatch form if you ask me.

The heaviest music I’ll play is probably old school Green Day, some older rock like STP, Pearl Jam, GnR, 7 Mary 3..etc. I only cover those guys as “novelty” tunes when the age 45ish crowd is around and requests it by screaming at me lol.

The SV will handle that music without pedals but if your wanting Metallica then start pedal shopping if your only using the SV or the SC. The SC has more gain but to me it can get muddy if pushed too much. This is even with my bridge pup on my LP. The SV never gets muddy. If I were going to be covering Aerosmith or Zeppelin then I’d grab my SV all day long! I just think the SV has a voice that the SC doesn’t have and can get MUCH closer to Page or Perry.

Now for what I do, blues and classic rock, it’s all about the SV. Like I said...it’s about the voice of the amp and not about if it has more gain than another amp. Oh BTW, I only use an 808 and a tuner with my SV.

Now here is the kicker; I don’t like the SV or the SC with my Strats and Teles. Suites me fine because my favorite guitar happens to be a Les Paul.

9. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Most clubs we've been playing at want the patrons to be able to talk over the band. Is that the way "Rock and Roll" should be played, no, but that's the reality. If you're lucky enough to be playing indoors at higher volumes, feel fortunate. I guarantee, if I took my SV20 to one of the clubs we play at, and had the volume anywhere near 2 or 3, even in 5 watt mode, they'd be bitching. That's one of the reasons (but not the main reason) I gig with my Axe FX, it can sound great at any volume, from "polite" to "ear splitting".

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Post some pics of your Mosrite copy, I have an Eastwood Hiflyer, a copy of a copy of a copy of a Mosrite. Heres mine, its got P90's

[​IMG]

11. Old Punker

@pedecamp mine is an Eastwood Hi Flyer as well, here is an old pic from 2008 or so, don't mind the mess in the background, other pics were too large to upload. I have since moved into my basement to take advantage of the sound attenuating quality of poured concrete.

101_0230.JPG

I use this guitar to cover surf-inspired punk like
    and

It's my only single coil guitar. It didn't cost much but I think it does a good job. The pickups sound good overdriven with both my Marshall and Mesa.

How do you like yours?

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  12. Brayshall1987

Brayshall1987 New Member

So… I did it kind of in a roundabout way. Marshalls? They’re always loud! No matter what! So… I originally saw my first SV20H being demoed on YouTube. in the demo they had this amazing little piece of gear that went along with their demo of the amp. A Boss WAZA Tube Amp Expander.Together they just worked so well! Anyway, after I bought the new Marshall I found a used tube amp expander on the Internet and it’s as good if not better then the video I saw on YouTube. Yes! It’s a lot of money to turn around and invest in after you’ve already spent a boatload of money on a new amplifier but, it gives you so much! On board effects… Programmable IR’s and the way it attenuates an amplifier? It works off of a reactive load. It sounds like the amplifier would sound but, at a lower volume. Actually, all the way down to whisper. The tube amp Expander is probably the coolest piece of gear I’ve ever purchased in my life! Check one out and just read through the specs and see what you think… Just because it work for me doesn’t mean it’ll work for anybody else but, I wanted you to have a heads up about it.

13. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

I play my JVM 205H at conversational level, with complete satisfaction. Does sound better cranked, but no probs at low volumes. The wattage isn't the only factor in low level playing.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I had one yeah it did play good at low levels

15. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Well at these volumes it sounds like being talked about then can i assume acoustic drums are still in use? If so then why not go E-Kit and grab a 1 watt. Mike it up and use the PA for all of your sound reinforcement. I've done this and with a really good PA your group can play about as soft or loud as you like.

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Nice a white hard tail! I break mine out now and then to play some Ventures or surf inspired music, I got it about the same time you got yours. I took it apart and covered the insides with copper foil and wax potted the pickups, its super quiet now and can get pretty raunchy with some gain. :yesway:

17. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Ok, to the OP:

I get your issue with volume and small places and yes, the SV can be loud. Some will tell you it’s not Rock n Roll if it’s not cranked or that Marshall’s are meant to be loud. Actually, I agree with those statements 100%...but I also find myself back in the real world and in places where I am told to turn down. Do I like it? No!! But it is what it is. You see, I use my SV for much more than hard, in your face rock. I use it for all that, plus much more. It’s that great of an amp. I’ve been in those places where a little attenuation is needed.

I’m just a nobody, common musician who plays wherever I can without regard for size of venue. It’s because I love music and I love my tone. I don’t even care about what I’m being paid. $136 (at the time) for the Weber allowed me to have this amp as an anywhere amp.

To me, Marshall, specifically the SV, is much more than about being loud. It’s the tone that I truly love. I can’t get the Plexi tone with any other amp I own, and it’s a lot of amps. I’ve used the Little Black Box, a Dr. Z attenuator and the Weber Mini Mass 50. I have heard great things about the Boss Waza Tube Expander, but have you checked the price on that bad boy? I’ve also used OD pedals to attenuate. The Little Black Box was my least favorite and the Weber has been hands down the best. I think it’s because of the treble switch (+6, 0, +3) and the fact that I don’t have to plug it in.

My other “real world” consists of a wife and and an outspoken 12 year old daughter at home. I simply can’t enjoy my SV at home, all the time, without the Mini Mass 50.

18. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Also own a DSL combo 401, cleans at low level are amazing with this amp. OP, don't know what your style is, but it might be worth checking out the DSL 401 combo (the one made in England).

As you said church band, I'm presuming you are clean to mid gain. So that plus a TS9 may be perfect.

19. Mark Collier

Mark Collier Member

My experience with the SV20 is that the Captor (non X) with its 20DB reduction is WAY too much, it might suit the OP but even at 20w with both gains at2-3 o clock it was too quiet for a mid loud suburbia session.

I have a cheap import Chinese attenuator that runs 2 x 6db switches. the amp at 5 watts with 1 or both switches on is awesome for quiet to semi quiet (not next room sleeping quiet but pretty quiet).

20w mode with the 2 switches is PERFECT loud, neighbors can hear you but probably won't complain.

I am a bit disappointed in the Captor, even my AC30 is too quiet with the 20db reduction.

I would also suggest the OP try the Origin 20 head with its 3 way attenuation. Pretty close to the SV in sound and a bit more versatile with an MV and the attenuation built in.

20. Old Punker

Sounds like the work you did made your guitar more versatile. I imagine the shielding cut out the 60 cycle hum too.

I haven't done anything to mine so I'm just careful to only use moderate gain and not get too close to the amp. The good thing is, when I want feedback, it's easy to do and it sounds pretty cool. The tuning is also amazingly stable with the stop tail.