Why the SV20 H/C is almost useless (to me anyway)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Feb 17, 2021.

1. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes 5 watts sounds pathetic in a live situation but it is 10dB less than a 50 watt given same speaker. I use a dB meter on my phone sometimes for fun at concerts and I usually get like 91 - 92 dB depending where we sit. At that, it is a shouted conversation, you can't properly take drink orders in a bar at that. Once vox go louder than the guitar, amd guitar is micd anyhow, in smaller venues it can be more than what they want. Especially that raw open midrange.

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I just bought a small 20w combo too, the 2202 by Ceriatone. It has a PPIMV as well as MV and gain, along with some tone shaping switches. It has no problem playing most anything at any volume. Maybe someone here could figure out how to add at least the PPIMV to these amps to make them more useable / controllable. Worth a shot.

wntbtw likes this.
  4. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

They have that, it’s the SC20.

5. Freddy78

Freddy78 Member

I would like to see that as it might be better solution than the attenuator that i am using , thanks in advance

JohnH and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

JHS little black box or similar in the loop. Cost $40. Crank the amp. Adjust sound to get the right tone for rhythm playing. Pedal of your choice in front. Hit pedal for solos or keep pedal on and work the volume control on the guitar. I can have my SV20C wailing at a volume you can't hear in the next room with the tv on.
    No-ones saying that it's the same as cranking a 100 watter in a stadium - can't happen. Closer than you'd think though.
    Really not difficult.

7. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pa_100_power_attenuator.htm
    I use one of these with mine. Less than fifty quid, sounds great with the amp on full power and the PA100 at around 3-4 o clock. Amp input 1 on 10, input 2 on 4-6. Jump bottom left to top right all EQ on around 2 o clock. Use presence to give more or less bite to suit yourself. TC mini spark for boost, but you need to use your guitar volume control to good effect.......Or
    Use the amp in low power (5w) mode.....these amps aren't for no "hey nonny nonny" folkey type bands. If it's too loud, you aint no rock and roll outfit. :shrug:

8. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

Anyone have any experience with this? Thinking I'll pick one up.

9. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Same

lonewolfsx likes this.
  10. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

I own the Live version which is the rack gear and now discontinued. Download Wall of Sound plugin /VST and try some amp sim with it. A real amp is even better. Hybrid setup like this is absolutely amazing. You can run up to 100W amps into them. The X version comes in 8 and 16 omhs version. You probably want 8 as most amps have an 8 out.

Nothing quite like it. Even Revv amps use their gear built into the amp

11. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

OP seems to have gone missing.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

This is wrong. The Studio Vintage and the Studio Classic have different voices and are two different amps. I have both of these amps with their matching 2X12 cabs. My go-to favorite is the SV, even when played at equal volumes.

The easy fix for the OP’s problem is the Weber Mini Mass 50. Plain and simple.

13. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

This is wrong. The Studio Vintage and the Studio Classic have different voices and are two different amps. I have both of these amps with their matching 2X12 cabs. My go-to favorite is the SV, even when played at equal volumes.

The easy fix for the OP’s problem is the Weber Mini Mass 50. Plain and simple.

14. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Easy-peasy

Buy a PA, hire a midget DJ, house him inside a faux 8x10 bass cab, lipsync to recordings, and fake it till you make it

THAT'S how you get perfect "stage volume" at any venue

Filipe Soares likes this.
  15. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Yes, I get that the two models sound different but someone asked why they didn’t offer the SV20 with a master volume. Marshall’s original solution to that was to cascade the preamp. So, to me, the SV20 with a master volume is the SC20. I personally don’t like attenuators, another piece of equipment to haul. And I have had them wear out and they do change the feel of the amp.

Old Punker and Biff Maloy like this.
  16. Antoine

Antoine New Member

Get an Astoria Custom Combo or Head, so happy with mine, the sound and the power attenuator

tce63 likes this.
  17. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I got my SV20H about 10 months before the pandemic. I played entire club gigs- with a drummer- on 5 watts! So, yes, it's loud. And it's actually almost as lout at 2 as it is at 7. That's how Marshalls work. When I bought my JVM205H it had a sticker on it that said "Marshall- 50 years of loud!" Yeah, wrong amp for you bro.

18. SuperFleeky

SuperFleeky Active Member

I've gigged many times with my SC20 combo and Head/Cab. I use an EQ pedal in the effects loop to boost the output for solos. I don't know if the SV's still has the headroom to do that. There's always the option of setting it on the edge of breakup for your "clean" tone, and using a plexi type drive pedal (there are several really good ones) to get your overdriven tones. That will leave the headroom you need for solo boosts. I've had really good success doing that with my non-fx-loop amps.

19. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

I think I'll have to check it out. Will probably get the 16 ohm version though as that's what my cab is.

20. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

Was a bit frustrated when I started this thread. However, all answers only puts more wood on the fire. Lots of replies with tips for different workarounds. Last time I used it, music club ca 150 ppl, I almost got thrown out due to ’YOU LOUD MTF’! (even at the 5W) Ok, I tried an attenuator. Worked ok, but lacked the oumph for solo. Okidoki, then I tried a signal damper through the loop, and put in a overdrive pedal for solo. This kind of worked, but the sweet Marshall sound was lost. But, good fellas, I will not give up so easy...one day I will find a way... cheers

Old Punker, wntbtw, tce63 and 4 others like this.