Reaction score

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A precisely placed shipping label can make all the difference,

full

ssolo8

Reaction score
The guy that said no free advertising from the TV station is correct. All the commercials pay money to get seen on that show. Marshall has paid nothing and is getting to be seen on that show. The station, or the show, thought they could squeeze out an extra nickel by blacking out logos, but as we've all seen, that didn't work, and all that nonsense went away after a while.

JonSick

Reaction score
A tour we had in the early 2000s demanded the taping of all logos. The main dudes were endorsed by various people and I too was not allowed to even display the Jackson logo on my guitar. We got people asking why we taped up our logos, tried to make out some anti-establishment thing, but really it was part of our contract. Oh and the demands that we were not allowed above a certain level on their shonky decibel meter. The last show we ignored all that and lost a gig's worth of pay, but so worth it.

I only recently saw something similar. Played a gig in London and we were instructed not to bring backline. After further investigation, I decided their backline sucked and I'd bring my own. It was a pretty silly situation, my Marshall and cab were side-filled with a big black cloth over it and the pub's sponsors equipment was all up front, making out that was what I was using. Our bassist had similar issues and ended up side-filling too. And this is a regular venue, not exactly the Ritz.

In the days where sponsorship dictates musical success, those days are pretty much back again IMO.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whores minus genitals are sponsors.

I prefer a sleazy juice box over a dictating prick advertisement. Even with party favors.

Nothing more greasy than money manipulating cheese dicks that give a shit what you want/like.

Last edited:

jupiter89

Reaction score
While on this topic, I would like to mention a TV commercial for a drug called Humira that pissed me off. In it is a band whose female vocalist has Chrohn's disease and during practice has to apparently use the bathroom which happens frequently with that ailment. Well now while on the medication it's under control and you see her performing with the band live on stage happily. What wasn't happy was me when I saw a Marshall stack with no logo on the head or the cabinets ! None on any other equipment either. I hate seeing the commercial (even though that lead singer is very easy on the eyes lol). If you haven't seen it Google Humira TV Commercial

10kDA

Reaction score
There may be more to it than what has been expressed here, though everything that's been posted hits the nails on the head. There seem to be so many nails though. I was watching the original "Thing From Another World" not too long ago and the digital version has been cleaned up considerably since the last time I saw a broadcast of a film print. But in the process, the serial number aka buzz number painted on the tail of the C-47 used in the flight to the arctic base had been pixelled out or erased, like license plate numbers on a victims' car shown on a true crime TV show. I don't know if this was due to the movie being shown on TV and the number appears on a DVD version, or if the number has been removed from all digitized versions of the movie. But I can't understand what would motivate anyone to make a change like this. What about old film footage of actual historical events? Will they be altered too? By whose whim and/or authority?

10kDA

Reaction score
While on this topic, I would like to mention a TV commercial for a drug called Humira that pissed me off. In it is a band whose female vocalist has Chrohn's disease and during practice has to apparently use the bathroom which happens frequently with that ailment.
They censored the bandmates' dialog as well - "AGAIN with the squirts?" BTW I got that punchline from one of my own bandmates who suffers from Crohn's.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
But the sponsors pay to advertise. They pay for the teams and the cars. They have to show their logos.
I think it is a different situation.

Now if the driver walks in and rivets his favorite shoe to the front hood then maybe they can tell him to tape over the logo. Then the driver now has a choice. :)
Exactly, but a driver would never rivet a shoe to his hood...to much drag :rofl:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Any idea what he's up to these days? Last I heard he had a bit of a problem.... Always a great listen/watch. When he threw that goldtop 20 feet in the air at the Hall and Oates gig made my toes curl.
hum, i dont know. what problem do you speak of?
but yeah hes a total badass though. mentioned above
was the time he and Eddie did a set on stage. it was cool.
you could tell they both were having fun.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm not a gigging musician and I never will be. I have no reason to make a TV appearance.

But...the gear I choose to use is gear I'm happy to use and happy to let other people know what I use. That Gibson logo on my Les Paul (or more likely, the Matthews logo on my own guitar) and the Mesa or Marshall logo on my amps would remain present and visible and I don't care what the director or producer thinks about it. If they would just not allow it I'd take my show to the competition instead. A competing channel that would allow it in exchange for the right to have me on their show.

Under normal circumstances, I detest advertising with a passion rarely seen. I can't stand your TV commercials, radio ads, etc.,

But to simply show what gear you use as a part of a segment you're in is totally fine with me.

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Well now the thread is revived, here's my contribution:

My countryman Lars Frederiksen from Rancid: Cg46xs7VEAAV_92.jpg

And some random from the internet:
images.jpeg

I like both and now i kind of wish I was a Lars or an arsehole.

Kim Lucky Day

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea what he's up to these days? Last I heard he had a bit of a problem.... Always a great listen/watch. When he threw that goldtop 20 feet in the air at the Hall and Oates gig made my toes curl.
He sold off a lot of his guitar collection a year or two ago to Cream City Music in Milwaukee...

Reaction score
It just reflects the religion of our times: $$$

Latest posts