Why No Logos On Television?

fifteenohms

Reaction score
NEVER OBSCURE YOUR LOGOS!!

I think I was 7 when I first saw Hendrix on KABC7, in a look-back segment about Woodstock and what happened in his life.

If it’s similar to Yngwies Marshall discovery story, that’s fine because I tell you it’s about discovery and not about advertising! And it’s not unique, I’ve heard the same plot curve a dozen times from other players.

Okay I recall seeing the logos. Into the years those same iconic badges would crop up: the “Smoke On The Water” guy had em too. Blue Cheer had em.

Then one day I saw on Don Fishnets’ Rock Concert a band I could care less for - AC/DC suddenly sounded good and had a couple videos - and there they those Marshall logos are. Again.

As a pre-guitar kid I was NOT interested in this metal sound, but the obvious social cueing over the years left a deep impression that if you were any good at music you’ll eventually be around others who use this stuff and get to try it yourself. Eventually.

And so it was in Southern California in the 1970’s where lots of diverse backyard parties I hit, had Marshall gear.

But I resisted. In 1980 a Harmony 400 3-watter and a distortion pedal got me close enough, so maybe I didn’t need to “be that loud” until I got a drummer.

After 8 years of buying-trying-unliking then flipping thru recycler stuff that was no good, Ronnie Montrose traded in a near mint JMP100, 1982B & 1960 A.P. towards a Martin acoustic, and I got all 3 pcs $1000 & tax.

Up to this point nothing was good: but I gave into the social cues and by 85 knew why Marshall was very decent and very different.

Could I have bypassed a lot of wasted time by going directly to a used Marshall to a shorter music development? You bet. But like Bruce Zinky and Jim Seavall have said before me sometimes if you can’t make the connection you’ll exhaust every other excuse “why not” till the other paths fail.

Ok getting to the obscuriation-of-the-brandings-point:

* I go to CBS once and their paperwork says “no logos you gotta cover them.” Can’t even wear your T-shirt but you’re the band~ whut... Doesn’t make sense to me.

Same thing over at Universal!

How does a kid today, looking back as I once was, clueless yknow, figure out what today’s good players use to get good sounds?

It never used to be like this: bands were gear-proud and would laugh if someone said “tape off the Marshall logo.”

When did I first notice this? 1994-5 with Nirvana on MTV. Kurt has 8 cabs on his side, but the prominent classy Marshall brand is patched off w black gaffers tape! Hashtag: #Sellout.

I wondered then, Why do a stupid thing like that: is it a punk rock trend or what? De-branding gear is cool now? A $50 4X12 and a $900 one coequal - depending on talent?

Then ffwd>> today’s filming releases.

And you know what? Everybody must be signing them - bc look - from now on after I’ve pointed this out, watch your late night and daytime promo performances for logo banning and you’ll draw the same conclusion: it’s harmful to kids and pervades the advertising value a band has toward factory sponsorship.

And: it doesn’t stop with our back lines, either, when you see electric tape over the Gibson or Jackson logo.

This trick might have worked in the pre-VHS day’s, but not in the dying age of fake news & clickbait: for example-

1. I know Butterslax likes his Friedman’s right? Suppose Mastodon play Coachella and the main live sponsor preselected Orange UK and GC websites as in-video banner advertising to undermine Freidman to drive traffic off Dave? They cobble some old compelling Mastodon pics w Orange and all you gotta do is cover up live logos.

2. Ditto bass gear: it looks like Aguilar bass gear but I can’t tell under gaff tape, placed there beforehand so YouTube can adsell some 15-sec ad of a Beardy Fatdude you can’t click off for Musicians Friend and their ponderous assortment of combos that make dreams come true. Ugh!

3. Same with keys: You know the Nord is red, or the Roland backpanel is a Roland but wait - what model? Can’t tell, it’s been knobknocked up w tape!

4. Same w Percussion, that’s a huge trigger there (no Leppard jokes ok)

I think knowing what tools the older kids used to become professionals happens to be important to the clueless getting started.

I’ve provided my own curve as an example because we didn’t have inter webs then, and the pre-vhs photographic record is now online after the fact which SHOULD BY ALL REASON DEFEAT the notion this “logo blocking” has any benefit to the advertiser when the public know better now.

And even if they didn’t know, it’s downright devious to run say, Line6 ads for example over online content indelibly created w Marshall. Images search is one click away - yet AdSense has yet to give it up.

I’m against it.
It’s got to stop.
Why do people give in to that?

I never signed for that and I hope none of you guys do either. It’s an issue that begs open discussion!

Adieu

Reaction score
Product placement, only those who pay (or are paid FOR by competitors) get their logos in

Especially prominent in some "trendier" shows.

TNT's Animal Kingdom, vehicles the characters own-drive are product placed from a bunch of brands... the vehicles they STEAL to mess up in some crime? ALWAYS FORDS.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
I do not pay attention to brands and neither does my subconscious.

My daughter a while back made a statement and since I do not pay attention I had never realized.
She asked my wife and I if we ever noticed most all or all commercials, shows and movies only show Apple computers.

Now I notice it. Honestly I do not care for it.

When I buy things I use my brain. I research and build conclusions. I make my own decisions. I am no Lemming.

paul hancher

Reaction score
i remember a snl show in the 80’s or 90’s where the musical guest band’s ( can’t remember who they were) guitarist ripped the tape off of the marshall logo on his amp when they started their first set. this was the time that G.E. Smith was on and he had the fender contract. i remember thinking “this is the only time this band will play snl”. it was so cool.

Derek S

Reaction score
I have to wonder if in some cases it's possibly just up to the individual/artist. I remember seeing an early episode of Married w/Children and the house band for Kelly's tv show had their Marshall head and cab logo's covered. Then not much later I believe, they had Anthrax on the show and all the Marshall logo's are in plain sight, no hiding whatsoever.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought it funny that on shows like SNL the majority of the bands were playing nice shiny new Gibsons instead of one of their regular touring instruments. Product placement big time.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
It's just that it would be funny to gaffing tape on every logo.
But the sponsors pay to advertise. They pay for the teams and the cars. They have to show their logos.
I think it is a different situation.

Now if the driver walks in and rivets his favorite shoe to the front hood then maybe they can tell him to tape over the logo. Then the driver now has a choice. :)

Last edited:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I always thought they they covered the logos just so they wouldn't have to get approvals from Marshall to show their products.
So instead of going thru the red tape to get Marshalls approval, they just blank out the logo and take the cheap way out.

Of course, we all know what's behind the tape, anyway...

fifteenohms

Reaction score
If Marshall emailed saying “hey you know what, you can’t be photographed using our logo” I would have to consider what Bizarro World I’m living in.

The beauty of the badge begs for free promotion.

Kids buy T-shirt Marshall logos just because it looks that cool. So this would never happen coming from Marshall.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
It's all about networks not wanting to do free advertising.
The fun part being, if you have any interest in guitar amplification (or even music, at this point), even with the logo taped, there's no mistaking a Marshall for anything else. The looks of the amp are about as iconic as the logo itself.

67Mopar

Reaction score
I would tell them all to f**k-off, and that the logos stay fully visible. After that, I'd make a large sign the reads... I proudly play Marshall, Ampeg, VOX, Gibson, and Fender products.

Last edited:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
There can be many reasons why one would choose to cover a logo. Political, philosophical/psychological, and who knows what else.

There's the psychologial element of using brands or their logos as a symbol of status. There is also the fact that a logo can be seen as a seal, or a sigil. These have the power (or our minds give it the power) to conjure up certain images and emotions. Pretty interesting phenomenon.

it’s harmful to kids and pervades the advertising value a band has toward factory sponsorship

Harmful to kids? Absurd claim. What I find more harmful is kids being exposed to commercials, advertisement or propaganda. They are forms of incantations or spells.

How does a kid today, looking back as I once was, clueless yknow, figure out what today’s good players use to get good sounds?

Kids today have the internet.

Fender

Reaction score
Here, in France, this trend started in the nineties too, to my knowledge for "no free advertising on tv" too, but at the end of the nineties, it slowly started to disappear again, as if no one didn't really care. Now I'm not sure I have seen black-taped amp logos for more than fifteen years.
It could have been a producer's choice, also : Not 100% sure but I think BBC/Jools Holland never displayed one black-out logo (unless it was the choice of the artist maybe) for exemple.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine tuning in on sunday morning and the church band used some of these beauties

:p

View attachment 58018 View attachment 58019

That being said what if just part of the logo is covered?

View attachment 58020
This one will make ya popular in the pews:

full

Latest posts