Why is there a Nippon Gakki sticker on my SLP?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by assquatch20, Jan 25, 2020.

1. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

[​IMG]

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Maybe the company purchased the amp for research . And when done was sold off. No History behind it

assquatch20 likes this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Nippon Gakki Co. Ltd. = Yamaha Corporation...

My uneducated theory, is that someone bought the amp/imported it into Japan. Modified it for Japan power & that person had the Nippon sticker & simply used it, to denote the modifications. The person may have worked for Nippon Gakki, or he had tech at Nippon Gakki do the mod & they affixed the label w/ the noted mod's...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Vinsanitizer and Australian like this.
  4. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

From what I've read I do believe they only occurred in North America. Even then it seems a bit hit and miss along with the rocker switches as well.

That's a neat theory. I could almost believe that but I don't know if they made an amp anything like a 1959. I think all their stuff was SS but it's not impossible they were studying tube amps, I suppose. I'm not sure about the other figures on the sticker but it is strange to have the voltage listed by a foreign company.

I could see it being serviced or sold by one of their shops perhaps. I just don't see why it would've said Nippon Gakki unless there were storefronts with the same name, pre-1987, but maybe the company had stores here. I'd just imagine it was more of an importer kinda deal, maybe something you'd find at NAMM, in a catalog, or in "Ted's Music Supply" in San Fernando or some such. Maybe some licensed/importer's store had a tech who wanted to screw with people?

I can find pictures of what look like amp inspection stickers from the company online, but nothing listing voltage or featuring the company logo. Really the company logo is primarily the tuning forks we all recognize through the years, nothing like what's on the sticker, which looks vaguely like a vacuum tube symbol but pretty sure it's not.

Based on a little research, they were largely doing business in California in '87 when they ditch the Nippon Gakki name. I was just hoping there'd be some old timer who knew what was going on here, but I guess it's a mystery. I'll try to get some more interior shots at some point, but this is all I've got for now:

[​IMG]

5. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

hey i like that theory about the nippon gakki putting it on there after modifications or something . i had an asian girlfriend and her mom let an old asian man stay there and he would drink a bottle of hard liquor and when he was done he would sign it .
    :pops::drunk:

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

If Nippon Gakki put that sticker on it the company owned it . The owner of the company some amp designer

assquatch20 likes this.
  7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

this also has a Yamaha label. Yamaha is the Japanese distributor...

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/power-supply-marshall-6100.112344/

assquatch20 likes this.
  8. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

i think removing the sticker is a good idea, you gotta get the old scent off it, like dipping crystals into the ocean - on a full moon , to cleanse them of another persons stink. See it confuses the crystal, it cant do it's magic on you because of the former person.

assquatch20 likes this.
  9. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

that's a bloody nice amp.

assquatch20 likes this.
  10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Nippon Gakki was the importer, I don't know the entire story details.

[​IMG]

assquatch20 likes this.