>

Why is DSL20 watt head half the cost of SC20H or Jubilee?!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Robmarshall, May 12, 2020.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You said it all buddy! :yesway:

DSLs are fine amps...........as long as you like the tone which an overwhelming number of people do. I could never get along with them, I spent many years trying to make it what it wasnt. One day I walked into a store and plugged into a JCM800 half stack and in a matter of seconds I was like oh my god this is it, the tone in my head! Since then I've discovered 4 holers and like them even more!

So whatever the cost, if you want to be happy and have the right amp sometimes you gotta be patient and save up your money to get it. And like I've always said, if you dont know which to get and cant try them, check your suppliers return policy and buy them both at the same time and try them at home, send the one back you dont like. :yesway:

2. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, I walked a similar path to the JCM800 half stack. DSL>DSL>sc20>JCM800. (Borrowed my buds mini jub along the way too) Now I have a DSL and JCM800. Trying to tell myself not to think about the 87 or 59. :drool:

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    tce63 and pedecamp like this.
  3. pedecamp

Sell the DSL and get the plexi :yesway:

tce63 likes this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Is this directed at me? :D

I couldn’t get very much for my Dsl, and there really is no way I can afford to have two $1200 amps!

If this ISN'T directed at me,....carry on! :D

tce63 likes this.
  5. pedecamp

You too!

tce63 and scozz like this.
  6. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Im not the expert, but aren't there import/export taxes paid on UK made amps that would not be paid on a Vietman made amp?

Jethro Rocker and tce63 like this.
  7. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

More like sell the dsl and rent the plexi lol!

The dsl is my little 33lbs grab n go all a rounder.. no worries if it drinks a beer by accident. My JCM 800 is a keeper and feels to be heavier :cool: than my dsl but who’s counting pounds In this comparison really.. and my plexi is sitting in the wrong hands until I rescue her :p

Nope...nope...:wallbash: I don’t need another amp I mean...:drool:

on another note my dsl (with speaker upgrade) finally took out my 68 Deluxe (42lbs.. 37 with the neo) she’s going tonight. :wave:.....:drool:

TonyK, Bluesbird and tce63 like this.
  8. pedecamp

If you dont need a full sized amp get an SV20, small and light weight, and LOUD if you want it to be. If you want a plexi... :yesway:

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  9. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

That’s always a possibility as I read this Is the one that absolutely nailed big brother’s tone.. and plus big brother is loud as f...

The SC with minor pot tweaks was very close to my JCM but not enough to let go of the original. Part of this plan was to dump the DSL and use the SC as my grab n go with separate 2x12 for all other use.. the 4x12 is just part of the recipe, and the cleans on the Dsl20 kinda surprised me so this didn’t work out.. trust me, I wanted it to work as I need lighter gear due one screwed disc. I also try to go at using the dirtier Fender route with a 68 Deluxe.. nice in a different way.. if I was more clean that dirty and I’m not so nope.

I borrowed the mini jub and really liked it (very adjustable) but never got it beside a SJ at the same time. The guy who owns it loves his SJ and tells me he likes his mini jub but told me he is a bit bumed out because this one is the further of the three wrt replicating their 100 watter’s tone.

WellBurnTheSky, pedecamp and tce63 like this.
  10. pedecamp

I've got 2 screwed up disks so I feel for ya man. :(

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    TonyK, Bluesbird, JBA and 1 other person like this.
  11. abkeller1

abkeller1 Active Member

Because it sounds like crap. That's why. If you've played them you'll hear the difference and it's huge.

12. abkeller1

abkeller1 Active Member

Who cares about the guts. It's all about the TONE. The DSL sounds cheap and is a completely different amp than the Studio Classic. I had that DSL and returned it sounded so bad cause i didn't want to spend a lot of money, but after I got rid of it I saved up of for the Silver Jubilee Mini. It's a Tone monster. DSL 20 = Bottom of the line amp vs Silver Jubilee Mini = top of the line amp.

13. TonyK

TonyK Active Member

"Sounds cheap". Not sure what that means, but I am sure that many thousands of Marshall buyers disagree with whatever it means ;)

Obviously, your opinion is your won and is totally valid. But "lower price" or "bottom of the line" do not invariably mean poor(er) amps. I come from the Fender world where there has been a similar debate raging for at least 15 years about the Hot Rod Deluxe models, and yet these amps are found everywhere in the world in professional settings and have absolutely stood the tests of both time and tone. My own was bought new in 1998 and is the 60W 4x10 which I'd happily put up against any Fender amp twice the price.

I don't know the DSLfrom first hand experience but I can imagine that it might prove to be a similar case. For sure, I recently looked at the DSL20H vs the Studio amps and some hardwired amps, and I determined that for my own needs, I'd either go with the DSL20 for a VERY reasonable price OR build my own JTM45. Obviously not the same thing, but for sure if the itch for a Marshall sound was bad enough (it is getting there ;) ) I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DSL20 just to be able to plug in and play more quickly. I have no doubt that the Studio amps are potentially slightly "better" (very subjective) in every respect, but it would be hard for me to justify that price difference even though it is much less onerous in Europe than in the States apparently. The real bottom line is that if someone has the funds and desire to buy a Studio or an even more expensive Marshall, great for them. If they don't, then the DSL will most likely do the trick for many of them at least.

Very interesting thread. It's eye-opening to see that Marshall fans are as divided on their gear as the Fender guys are theirs :)

Georgiatec, tce63 and JBA like this.
  14. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

See now you sound just like a DSL fan boy.. if your 20watter is top of the line what are our hand wired 100watters?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    tce63 and TonyK like this.
  15. Mavrim

Mavrim Member

I bought a like new used DSL20H for $379 to replace the dsl15c I had. The dsl15c was modded for less compressed gain. The DSL20H sounds absolutely fabulous! Even at very low bedroom volume it sounds good. I replaced the EL34 tubes with KT77 tubes because I read that they provide better bass response. I really can’t say if they made a difference as I’m playing it at low volume in my apartment. I have a 1x12 cabinet with a creamback speaker in it.

The two things that bothered me were just visual. The Tolex is a very shiny clone of the original elephant tolex which is fuller looking. The corners are screwed in rather that riveted. I removed all corners and removed the amp. I used scotchbrite to finely scuff the shine away on the tolex and then used armour all to shine it up somewhat. I used gold marshall rivets to install the corners. I was so pleased with the results! Tolex is very similar to the original on the speaker cabinet and rivets match speaker cabinet as well. Very happy with this amp! I have since lost interest in the 1 watt amp series marshall had introduced in 2012.

16. scozz

That’s great! There’s nothing better than loving the way your amps sounds....who cares what the haters say or think?!?!

Bruce Campbell and Musicmaniac like this.
  17. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Getting a DSL20HR, wish me luck please.
    Just wondering, was there initially a DSL20H , then a DSL20HR?

Musicmaniac likes this.
  18. scozz

No, prior to the Dsl20hr there was the Dsl15h. Different amp in many way I’ve heard.

19. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

That must be it then, that one didn't have a loop either.
    Thanks.