Why I like Marshalls

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by richieG, Oct 22, 2012.

1. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I believe that if it came out of the doors of the Marshall factory (UK or Asia or South Pole...etc), it is a Marshall. You may like some Marshalls better than others, but it is still a Marshall.

GIBSON67, Nudge68 and Hollowbody like this.
  2. Caspian

Caspian New Member

I disagree.
    Big names like Joe Satriany (and many others) cooperated with amp factories - in this case we are talking about Marshall - and changed / modified the stock Marshall amp to their (better) taste. Marshall sells JS modded amps under their brand name: Marshall.
    So is a modded amp still Marshall or not?

3. Totengott666

Totengott666 Member

Since its almost 10 years later, I dont think they care if you disagree

4. renips

renips Well-Known Member

First major amp purchase and subsequent purchases thereafter. I play other amps also. But each time I play one of my 2204’s or 410 hjs or Haze I feel connected to the sound. There really is a Marshall sound. Not everyone likes that sound. I am familiar with the sound. I know how to dial in a Marshall amp to get what tones I need. I have published over 100 songs using that sound. It is difficult to explain sometimes to another person. It’s a feel playing one that goes to the core. It comes down to this for me. I can get any fu&[email protected] tone I need out of my stable of Marshslls. Thats all I have to say.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

No kidding, thread smells like dust.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Totengott666 and Maggot Brain like this.
  6. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Why do I like Marshall's besides the killer tone for days ? They're Loud

Bartrant, wntbtw and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Caspian

Caspian New Member

... and I don't care about the years either. Even I don't care if you care or not :)

8. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

am i allowed to care? :erk:

9. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

I grew up with Marshall's because around here, it was one of few quality amps I could afford. American Amps were too expensive and Asian Amps were crap...
    ... now I find, they just do what I want them to do... simple as that...

tce63 likes this.
  10. Totengott666

Totengott666 Member

Gimme about 10 years and I'll get back to you on that sport :)

Bartrant likes this.
  11. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

Where's RichieG??

:shrug:

Toten?? Where you been??

12. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Listen to 60's and 70's Rock music. That's why.

13. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

It's the gold standard.
    Everyone compares their amps to what?
    Never heard someone say "...this mod made my Marshall to sound just like a Crate"

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I've owned many and various guitar amps since 1985. My first "serious" amp was a '73 Fender Pro Reverb. About three years later I got a Mesa/Boogie Mark II (Original "A" version) which was incredible and I wish I still had it. I've been through a truckload of various amps, MOST of them Fenders and Boogies, since then, but it wasn't until about two years ago that I got my first Marshall. Not because I wasn't interested before, but because I never found the deals in previous years. I kept missing them. Just got there after the amp was sold. But with a larger budget and a little luck, plus being more active in seeking them out, I've managed to pick up some nice JMPs.

I've been a low volume high gain guy pretty much for life. And while I enjoyed the sound a lot, I always felt that it wasn't quite the sound that was in my head that I wanted to bring into reality.

When I got my first Marshall, my '78 2203, I realized that the tone I was seeking was probably a Marshall sound. Not long after that I got a 1959 (literally not a week later) and once I tried a clean boost pedal with it, I found that sound. Albeit at a very high volume level.

And then I knew: I was seeking a "Vintage Marshall approach to tone" and didn't know it, all that time.

Now Marshalls represent most of my amp collection. I still have a Fender and a Mesa, and a Blackstar 20 watter, and a Fractal modeller for "every other tone", but I'd rather plug into one of my JMPs than anything else...just remember to insert my Etymotic earplugs first! That preserves the full sound, but saves my ears from damage.

It's the sound more than any other single factor. But it does not hurt in the slightest that I'm playing with pedigreed rock and roll legends among amplifiers. The name, the recognition, and the appearance of half and full stacks does have some appeal.

Plus, big benefit here, they're easy to work on. Particularly if they're point to point wired. Not that that alone made the deal. I don't mind working on complicated amps that a lot of other techs throw a hissy fit over when they look inside. Believe me, I've worked on and repaired equipment that's far harder to work inside than any Mesa amp. It just takes longer and you have to know where everything goes, but it's no big deal.

Mitchell Pearrow and wntbtw like this.
  15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

No

16. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

:coffee:

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  17. tonycaster

tonycaster Well-Known Member

I've been chasing tone since I started playing (around mid 80s), because, to me, tone was more important than technique as it allows you to express yourself better than a super fast scale IMHO. I always bought "alternative" gear as I didn't want to emulate a particular tone, but just find my own; I had lots of amp brands, even boutique or totally unknown, of all kinds, but when I got my first real Marshall a few years back (a '78 2203 which I traded for a rack system!), I just realized that this is the amp I've been looking for in 35 years... my second amp of choice being a Vox AC30

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.