Why has Marshall never reissued the JMP Master Volume 2203/2204?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitar Rod, May 28, 2020.

1. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

The 2203/4 is a great amp, and is responsible for some of the best tones in Rock.

However it is an amp which most of the time is used in conjunction with some sort of transistorised foot pedal - either to "boost" or increase the gain of the amp - or to attempt to increase volume and gain for solos (which does not work particularly well in my experience if the amp is already saturating....)

A better idea would be to produce a similar amp, but with a separate lead channel.

The JVM410 is almost that amp - but has small but significant differences in voicing (i.e. it is not as bright) and power section (which is tighter and less prone to Power-Amp distortion). Both these things are easily fixed with quite minor mods (as I have done) - and the result is an amp which can sound and feel like a 2203, but with a lot more versatility and options - and all this can be achieved without the need for external transistorised pedals!

Of course what I am describing is a modified amp, not a stock factory one - so rather than see a 2203/4 re-issue (with all the limitations the originals had) - I would rather see what I would call a "JVM800" - which is basically what I have with my modded amp!

2. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

I'M looking at a Marshall power stage schematic dated 1981 for the 50 and 100 watt. The 50 watt power stage used on both 1987 and 2204 shows 365v post choke. The 100 watt power stage used on both 1959 and 2203 shows 467v post choke.

The ClassicTones 50 watt replacement PT 40-18095 has 3 different B+ taps which yield aprox 457v, 412v, and 371v. Similarly Mercury Magnetics offers 50 watt PT's in multiple different B+ voltages.

That said, I used the higher voltage Mercury Magnetics 50 watt PT that yields 467v post choke for my custom JCM800. The same voltage Marshall spec'd for the 100 watt master and non-master yet she's smooth and creamy, not harsh. These amps are the sum of their components. I used Synergy Royal Muster caps in this amp. For the PF value caps I used WIMA film/foil instead of ceramic and silver mica caps. 1% tolerance Takman Rey 1 watt metal film resistors for low noise.

I once built a kit amp that spec'd Orange Drop caps. Turns out there are different model Orange Drops, there's a polyester film/foil and there's polypropylene metalized film. The kit came with the polypropylene and you literally could not listen to that amp it was that harsh, acid to the ears, bitter, just a nasty tone.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  3. jazzdj

jazzdj Active Member

Why did they never reissue this (1981) JCM 800 Lead Series Master Volume 4212, Split Channel switching, spring reverb, with Effects loop?? 50W and 2x12's G12-65 Celestions in one cab .... THIS IS THE "Sex in a Box"!!

Even though I have an early Green panel Vox AC-30 Top Boost, this Marshall is even better for versatility.

Marshal 1981 JCM 800 Lead Series 50w 2x12 Combo.jpg

4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

If the PV was a whole lot lower wouldnt it be less power output?

LargeBoxSmallBox and tce63 like this.
  5. KB0NES

KB0NES New Member

I'd buy (an)other one :)

6. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Idk ,that’s not my area of expertise.

7. Buzzard

Just from what I’ve researched is that the lower plate voltage along with the mustard caps and later caps gave it a warmer thicker tone instead of the brighter 800 tone.

Trelwheen and Guitar Rod like this.
  8. Buzzard

Not to mention every single one I’ve heard sounds that way and I prefer it. This coming from someone who had an 83’ 2204 and now an 84’ 2204 w/el 34.

9. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

A 2204 reissue with Marshall Astoria feature set, could be my dream amp!

- 5/30 watt modes
    - Accepts multiple power tubes, EL34, KT66, 6L6, etc.
    - Auto biased e.g. cathode biased not fixed biased so plug and play power tube swapping
    - Tube rectified with no negative feedback (cough) JTM45 (cough)
    - Hand wired turret construction on hybrid turret/PCB which allows modern switching
    - Foot switchable tube driven effects loop with level control
    - Foot switchable 20db boost
    - Bright/Dark edge control pot
    - Push/Pull master volume pot 5/30 watt modes
    - Push/Pull gain pot to add Body (thickness)
    - Push/Pull treble pot to add 6db shelved higher frequency boost above 4,000 kHz

10. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

You should be Marshall's CEO !

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  11. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

I've got a set of PIO caps here , wonder what it would do tone wise in my 2204 ?

12. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

the mass production is going in another direction and away basically from the monster power amps of yesterday. think small, low wattage and digital...that sucks but that's reality...boutique low wattage tube amps is the buzz and the need/ crave for big amps is turning into niche.
    that said I think marshall should do a short run of a jmp 50 2204 master volume cascaded head just like in the late 70's with no bells and whistles added for us old farts.

13. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I don't see the point. It would be a cheapo pcb chocked full of silicon, like every other Marshall being made today. I'd rather have a clone for less money that is made like how Marshall amps used to be made. I don't see myself ever buying a new Marshall amp again, or a Fender.

14. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

its a fantasy mate they can't really recreate those boards and trannies.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  15. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Found a nice picture of the model I think looks great with the rounder
    radius front onening circa early 80's I think.
    [​IMG]

16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Add speakers and tubes to that. What I have read and heard is that those old speaker cones and coatings in tube elements used materials that have been environmentally regulated away. I don't know any details about it, but that seems much more likely to me than, all the magic recipes having been lost, across manufacturers.

17. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I don't see that Marshall would see any justification for doing a 2203 or 2204 type amp in regular production at ordinary pricing these days.

There are plenty of other amp manufacturers that are basically making plexi and 2203/2204 type amps now, authentic in almost every detail save the branding and
    (some) cosmetic changes. Marshall isn't going to be able to compete with the likes of Ceriatone in that market.

They sell enough of the hand-wired reissues at a stupendous price that they don't see a need to compete with themselves.

Personally I'd like to see all the 1 watt tube Marshalls offered as regular production items, made in small batches but always available, even if you may
    have to wait a few months to get one out of the next batch.

I really want to get my hands on a JTM1H.

tce63 likes this.
  18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

JTM145H for me. It would make for a cool practice / home recording amp.

19. proxy

proxy Well-Known Member

I can bet you shiny dime somebody from Marshall is reading this topic and making a note.:agreed:

Guitar Rod likes this.
  20. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

If one hunts up an unmolested JMP 2203 in good shape it'll still be a lot less expensive than a new one from the factory, and much cooler to boot. Might take some effort to find one....but again, and even if it needs some techie TLC, you'll probably be a lot less out-of-pocket than if Marshall reissued them.

wntbtw and Guitar Rod like this.