Why Do You Play In Or Want Or Not Want To Be In A Band?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, May 28, 2019.

1. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

2. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

He heard the roar of the crowd
    He could picture the scene
    Put his head to to the wall
    And like a distant dream
    He heard one guitar
    Just blew him away
    Saw stars in the night
    Until the very next day
    That one guitar ....

netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Exactly the same here. I used to jam with a couple of people when I lived in Ca. here there are a lot less people.
    I did land in a band on band mix a month before I left Ca. but they only played what they wanted. One of the 2 guys leading the band(guitarist) was pretty good but he was older than Father Time (I am old to) They had a big song list. I wish I could have stayed there just see how it worked out.

4. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I jammed/auditioned with a band that wants me to return for another go around.

We played songs that I love.........STP; Guns'n' Roses; Pink Floyd; Zeppelin..............it was a lot of fun........but is this music to play at dinner places?

As I'm playing Plush, will the shrimp scampi be thrown at me?

As much as I like this music and these guys, I'm not sure that this is the band.

Hey, I'm an old fart.

Maybe Unchain My Heart; Into The Mystic; Chain Of Fools and Wagon Wheel will be more of sustainable dinner music.

I love playing but I want repeat business.

John BNY and netlocal like this.
  5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Crikey, netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the generation that is 60 yo now grew up on Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Purple, Aerosmith and the like. If you were 15 by the time Zeppelin hit it big (70-71), you are 65 now. So yeah, it'll work.
    My band has a pretty good business going on now with a set centered around the Queen repertoire (we also perform as a full-fledged Queen tribute band), we do lots of weddings, corporate parties, big clubs, fairs, that kind of stuff. Our audience is on average 35-55, but lots of older people (55-70), and surprisingly lots of kids as well (the movie definitely helped with Queen's music being super popular these days). Even in a country where rock is not popular as France is.
    If you're good, you'll get repeat business. Lots of it.

7. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

I play in 2 active bands and it's certainly not for the money. Gigs pay $400-500 in these parts. I have been fortunate with all the gigs I have done the last 8 years I have not had any theft or security issues. I am also lucky I live in a gun friendly state. 20 miles north there is a city I refuse to play in though...just too many dirt bags per sq/mi.

8. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    https://stlouis.craigslist.org/d/musicians/search/muc

Slim pickins every week here, that is if you like Rock/HardRock.
    Plus we get tons of solicitation other than musicians under "musicians".
    The bulletin board @ the old Dales Music in Hazelwood used to work wonders before the internet. Never had a problem finding a player or band back in the day.

9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Great song

10. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

Not sure if I want to get that serious at the moment. I just retired and am enjoying the "zero responsibility" aspect of life but I do play at pub jams for kicks. Maybe someday, but it's not a yearning like I had in my 20's and 30's. Plus I tend to be more critical of who I play with nowadays and that is a whole 'nother thread.

netlocal likes this.
  11. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Ah 1981 all over again.

Does anyone know the drum machine on that tune?

12. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

I'm starting with "...Not Want To Be In A Band?"
    I left an original band in May because of the classic manipulation. Seen it many times. Basically, it goes like this- Lure you in with the promise of being partners, collaborators, and call you a band member. Proceed to treat you as an employee. You become in effect an unpaid hired gun. Effectively donating my time, blood, and treasure to these ungrateful bastards. For what? I did not want to be in that band anymore.

I was in a band before that where I was, basically, an actual hired gun. The band had two albums, but I didn't play on them (story of my life). Regardless, the band leader was very generous with gig and merch proceeds. But the road trips were getting longer and longer. And the conditions, in spite of the pay, were pretty austere. So I ended up quitting. Still miss those guys.

Now, "Why Do You Play In Or Want To..."
    A couple other guys already covered the "sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll" angle. In the beginning, I think that applied here.
    Fast-forward- A few years ago I threw together a pick up band for a cover gig at a bar. The drummer was late, the bar was empty, and I was getting stink eye from the bartender. A old friend showed up, a guitarist, and I muttered under my breath to him "Why do we do this?". He looked around and said "Because man, it's what we do, it's what we've always done". Somehow that made sense so I counted off the first tune and went on with the show.

Since May, I've taken a hiatus from being in a band, and have actually almost finished recording a solo album. That has been fun. This week I got a call to be a hired gun (like as an actual paid employee) for an original act. And a dirty downtown glam band invited me to do a dive bar show with them in downtown L.A. next month. That should fun, and be a real adventure, security issues aside.:rofl:

To re-cap: "Because man, it's what we do, it's what we've always done":hbang:

13. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Funny. We play all that stuff -- STP, Pink Floyd, Zep, etc. And, I agree, that stuff wouldn't go well at dinner time. We typically take the stage around 9 pm, where people can finish up dinner and come to the bar for a drink.

netlocal likes this.
  14. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yea, an occasional performance at an empty bar can be a real downer, but so long as there are a few people there, the show must go on.

netlocal likes this.
  15. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm having the thought that it may not go over with the dinner crowd.

I'm into that stuff but maybe, Moondance;I Shot The Sheriff; Listen To The Music or Blue Bayou would be more of a fit with the dinner crowd.

Even One Way Out by The Allmans or, the stopper, Pride & Joy would be better.

There's a wealth of material out there.

Picking the "right" songs is subjective.

My thing is that I want repeat gigs and not be a garage band.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Hell right now I would settle on being a garage band!
    Cheers Mitch

17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I contacted the 2 bands that wanted my services and told them "no thanks".

I think I'm going to attempt to form a band for the dinner gig venues.

I've been through this before and it's a headache.

There's a fine line to the subjective song pool that's out there.

To find talented team players without the soap opera is a chore.

My wife rolled her eyes when I told her my intentions.

18. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Have no desire to be in a club band. Been there done that wrote many songs about it.
    Joined a 9 pc band in 1978. horns percussion 3 guitars a lot of harmony. 4 of whom including myself stayed together 22 years. When the guitar/ trumpet/high vocal went absent was the beginning of the end. Tried to rebuild many incarnations after that, got less and less inspiring. If I could find a pro gig with pro minded people, I would be willing to put in the time. But not holding my breath. Been doing solo stuff here and there. Coffee shop, Art gallery, that kind of thing to keep chops up and vocal clear. Jam sessions leave me kind of let down. ( you mean there are more than three chords ) people drive me crazy. Played a lot of different music, a lot of different venues. Played for the love of the music. All the rest that went with it was just a bonus (SDRR).

19. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

My wife heard and saw me in the early 70's play in a house band.

We were a machine.

Tight and pro.

She laughs at the offers and fill ins I get now.

It's deplorable.

I tell her that I'm not Joe Bonamassa.

She tells me not to coach these players that call me.

:rolleyes:

20. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member

I would like to be in a band. Would have to be original stuff as I'm not really interested in doing covers. Prolly a little late to start now at 53. I didn't want to travel when I was in my 20's. Just wanted to get a job, settle down and get married. Now that I have been married for 25 years going on the road sounds much more interesting. Wishful thinking.