Why are Vintage 30's so popular?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by What?, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Comfort Cove

Comfort Cove New Member

I have, and they are a little better . . . but stilled voiced a tiny bit too shrill for me. I like the presence to peak when I'm punishing the F out a speaker, like what happens to a greenback or Cel Alnico.

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

That's basically because only Vox used Alnico speakers in their amps. Though if only for Brian May and Rory Gallagher, they deserve a special place in guitar history.

tce63 likes this.
  3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I agree that the last five decades have been dominated by ceramic magnets.
    There are two reasons for that
    1) AlNiCo was phased out in the sixties due to material prices
    2) people are cheap

AlNiCo did not appear again widespread until the nineties and beyond while as one should expect still cost much more. No cabinet manufacturer offers them in stock packages.

I think too many consider muffled speakers to sound warm. I consider that lacking.
    Yes AlNiCo are warm and have chime. Not only that most handle lower frequency very well. That is what they are known for and why they were emulated in other types.

Greenback, meh!

Every speaker has character and every person has preferences.
    All speakers have variation in recipe giving each its own character or fingerprint.

The Marshall Vintage is one of the best emulations of AlNiCo sound yet it still cannot match nor replace it.

Overall I just like AlNiCo best. That has always been my opinion and I sticking with it. :D

4. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

For what I play they are more than sufficient!

5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I'm just reading back through some of the replies that I missed. I never heard that saying, but that is pretty much it.

Given that for Marshall family amps, the Vintage 30 has become so popular over the last couple of decades where greenbacks were more popular before that, who thinks that Marshall guitar tone has generally improved in the last couple of decades over previous decades? Where are the great Marshall tones of today, live or studio?

Mystic38 and tce63 like this.
  6. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

May be of interest. Published today.

7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Very interesting video from Zilla. Just listened on my phone - so - far from ideal conditions. Particularly good was the end where you hear each speaker in isolation back to back with the V30.
    Some do not sound particularly good on their own (I guess some of it could be EQd out?). The V30 seems to dominate the overall tone and in most cases the second speaker seems to make up for the deficiencies of the V30 (and Vice versa). Before I dis any speakers I’ll have a listen on some decent monitors -LOL.

What? and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  8. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

That's because the Marshall G12 Vintage is not a Celestion Vintage 30. They have different specs, and characteristics. Also, why would Marshall spend the money to have Celestion design the Vintage for them, which also cost them more per speaker, when they could simply buy Vintage 30s and save money?

9. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Is it just me or do all the recordings sound blanketed in low / low mids? Maybe it is that particular cab doing that. Would love to hear the same in an open or semi-open cab. Any who, my favorite of the bunch is the gold (what I can hear of it). But that blanketed sound.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  10. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Zilla did the same with a G12M25.

Again to my ears, everything sounds blanketed in lows / low mids.

11. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

The Marshall G12 Vintage is a Celestion Vintage 30 Made for Marshall originally, and (I believe is still) made in the UK. Other V30s are made to Mesa spec, and the Made in China V30 is slightly different again!

The G12 Vintage and the Chinese V30 are very, very similar tone-wise. I would put the perceived difference at well under 5%....I have a x 12 Cab with one of each in that I can isolate each speaker. The G12 Vintage is very slightly "warmer" but is not as clear or articulate as the Chinese V30. Overall, I marginally prefer the Chinese V30....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  12. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

Orange PPC cabs are extremely popular. They have V30s in them. They work well when you pair them with another cab with a different type of speaker. You see them stacked with Marshalls for example. This allows also for additional guitarists to sound different in the mix.

13. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I only own 2 of the speakers in that demo: the V-Type and G12 Century Vintage.
    Both were preferable to the V30 to my ears.
    The V-Type was almost indistinguishable from the V30, and the G12CV was clearer sounding.

JBA likes this.