Why are Vintage 30's so popular?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by What?, Dec 10, 2020.

1. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I find it difficult to think that anyone would think that this sort of tone sounds bad (an anti-Vintage 30 sort of sound).

And Slash's sound is very much in that tonal family, with higher gain.

2. What?

What? Well-Known Member

And still in the same tonal family but with alot less gain still.

And an isolated Angus track.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  3. What?

What? Well-Known Member

And again, that rich top.

nickfox likes this.
  4. What?

What? Well-Known Member

And here too.

Vintage 30's don't do these sounds.

5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

And here again, the rich top end.

IOSEPHVS likes this.
  6. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Just say NO to Vintage 30's. :nono:

IOSEPHVS and houseofrock like this.
  7. What?

What? Well-Known Member

More...

LPMarshall hack likes this.
  8. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I'm in the Greenback style camp as far as speakers go. I also like T75's a lot better than V30's. I can see why guys like them, but I've just never found myself agreeing with them.

9. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

Many of you have been at this much longer than me. This is my understanding of the V30..
    The V30 (which I own) is thick in the midrange, but lacks depth in the highs and lows. While some very popular speakers, like the G12T, among others, are mid-scooped. That the V30 is used by many in combination (4x12, 2x12) with other speakers to fill in the mids missing with another speaker they really like. Once combined, it and what it's combined with, gives more tonal freedom for whatever the guitarist is trying to do with the guitar, amp, EQ, pedals, etc.

My :2c:.

nickfox likes this.
  10. What?

What? Well-Known Member

The current production greenbacks don't have that rich top end either. Not as bad of a rolloff as the Vintage 30's, but still lacking the rich top end of the old pre-Rolas. The Vintage 30 sounds very dull to me. The current production Greenback is better but still far short from being there compared to the old Celestions.

That is THE ONE thing that Segeborn has shown over and over, the rich top end of the old Celestions.

11. FutureProf88

Isn't the top end due to different doping on new speakers? I think it's a flammability requirement....

12. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Likely it is a doping issue, but I never heard anything about flamability of different doping materials. I think it is more about how much doping is used. The only recent Celestion (or an other recent/current production speaker) I know of that had a rich top end was the G12C, which I think I remember reading didn't have any doping. Weber also offers different levels of doping, including none.

To me this speaker sounds like it has a rich top but too much ringy low end that makes it sound boomy/muddy/bloated. Maybe it is due to the cab. But with the bloated lows and rich top, it ends up sounding scooped and not right.

13. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I think what I have learned here is that I really want some more sensitive undoped speakers that don't put out too much low end. And no honking mids like Vintage 30's put out.

14. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I think it is also likely that speaker manufacturers have moved toward heavily doped speakers due to higher gain becoming more popular over the decades and durability of the suspension. But it sounds like ass to me. I'm also betting that modern production speakers could sound much closer to the old ones with much less or no dope, or a lighter weight doping material.

15. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Learn to EQ out what you don't want. This is why the V30 ia great because it gives you lots to work with.

Also, no matter how many production recordings you post, not a single one of those are straight up unprocessed , un mixed, un mastered, raw sound of an amp and V30.

Not a single one lol.

I get it people like what they like, but some of rationalizing of opinions is reaching lol

Millions use V30s and sound great. Its not the speaker.

JBA, svhorton and tce63 like this.
  16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

The issue with the Vintage 30 is what it doesn't have. No rich top end. You can't add that in with eq because it is to such a large degree. You can boost higher frequencies but it will sound unnatural and weird. Same goes for other current production speakers, including almost the entire Celestion line. Or maybe all of the current line at this point.

17. FutureProf88

Weber allows you to select custom doping options.

https://tedweber.com/speakers/british-series/12-models-4/ceramic-9/

I thought Scumback did as well...

18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

19. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I disagree. V30's sound very rich to my ears, as do all the Celestion speakers I own.

Whatever works for you I guess.

Kinkless Tetrode and tce63 like this.
  20. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I think an unpopularly known truth about why the pre-Rola greenbacks sounded so good was that they were full range speakers, meaning that they didn't roll off all the highs like current production speakers do. Speakers were speakers back then, not guitar speakers. We are told today that guitar range speakers just do that (roll off the highs), but it wasn't so in the days of great guitar speakers. Celestions, Jensens, JBLs, EVs, etc. They didn't roll off all the highs, likely because of the doping, where current production speakers do roll off the highs. Some of the best sounding speakers that I have ever played through and owned, which sounded much like the vintage 'guitar' speakers of yore were full range woofers pulled from a set of stereo speaker cabs. I wish I still had them, but I had pretty much wore them out anyway.