Why are the studio series so expensives in the States compare to Europe?

purpleplexi

Reaction score
That is expensive. Cheapest head over here £699. Cheapest Jube £649.

I can remember 10 or 15 years ago I considered buying a Marshall in the US and having it shipped back here - they were so much cheaper. Although that was prob more to do with the exchange rate than anything else.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Order from Thomanns
Check out their prices on full size marshalls
I live in Florida and I tried to order a Marshall amp from Thomann a couple of years ago because of the great prices on Marshall amps.

I got a notice at checkout that basically said that Thomann is prohibited, by Marshall, from selling their amps to US customers. :shrug:

Has that changed now?

Old Punker

Reaction score
Interesting. A while back all the big retailers in the UK suddenly jacked the prices of studios by around 40%. I was thinking of buying one at the time but that put them out of the question. Then a few months later the local retailer had them back at the previous price. Some of the others were still high. So I jumped on one before they changed their minds. IIRC this was early in the pandemic. Whether it was shortage of supply or what IDK.

Just checked and prices are still all over the place - SV20Cs from £729 to £999. Place I bought mine is now one of the highest.

greed-2.jpg

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All nonsense—gear is much, MUCH cheaper now than in the old days. A Fender Twin in 1960 was $399. That is over $3750 in 2021 dollars. In 1972 a new Marshall half stack was $1075—-that is $7150 today.

GregM

Reaction score
It's because Americans are all morons .
Or it could be government tarrifs . I know in Australia anything from America went up exponentially in the 90s when America started subsiding it's wheat so Australian wheat wasn't cheaper .
Hence a trade war happened , so now it's just a big f U to each other .
I assume you have something similar going on with jolly old England .

Calebz

Reaction score
yea, USA made gear is always more expensive on this side of the pond.

As is the British gear over here .
Thanks

To be honest, prices are all over the place on this (euro) side of the pond.

A les paul from thomann (germany), shipped to me here in france, is about the same price as a les paul from sweetwater shipped to my place in Tacoma.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the raise shipping container rates over the last year.
One quote I've seen said a 329% increase in a year.
That affects all ocean freight costs.
Just look at the price of garden furniture for a shocker.
It's happening for all imports.

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Like anything else....you pays your money and you make your choice.
Things will settle down. Brexit, Covid, Ship stuck in the Suez, Fuel prices, demand from former 3rd world countries with massive populations. Things have been stuck around the same rate for nigh on 20 years. Compared to when I was young and skint, gear is cheap as chips. I had to save up for a year to buy my first Marshall 1/2 stack...second hand.

Latest posts