Who's into Hobby Recording/Production of their own stuff?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Sapient, Dec 7, 2020.

1. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

I used to be on call 24/7 so playing live was not an option. I reverted to home recording with a bandmate (bass player) and hired a drummer online from Utah. I had a lot of fun and produced about 40 tunes. I never pursued marketing them as I am too old to try and become the next Justin Beiber. Eventually I just got burned out (10 years), tired of fighting with mixes, spending money on plugins and upgrades. Now that I am retired I'm back to playing live in a pub band. It's a different challenge, and it makes me play better instead of recording a riff and spending six moths trying to get it to sound "right".

kinleyd, DaDoc, mirrorman and 3 others like this.
  2. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

I have a very modest home studio, Focusrite 6i6, some Rode mics (Nt5s and Nt1a), Tascam and Alesis monitors. Don't use much else, some basic effects only, although i still have a bunch of rack effects, preamps etc.. Mostly was aiming to record acoustic guitars.

I record a lot with just external loopers as well. These days i use Reaper, but mostly record videos for my youtube channel.

Tunes, i was never into that, would just take a band into a studio instead. To really match that, you need expensive stuff, plus A LOT of knowledge and practice, plus a nice sounding room, so... I 'd rather buy another guitar. :)

But i enjoy the procedure of messing with it. Normally it would go unused for months at a time, but now with no live music around i use it more..

I might record something like this:

kinleyd, Crikey, DaDoc and 8 others like this.
  3. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

4. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Thanks Ramo, you too, great stuff (HEAVY! :eddie:). Like someone else mentioned, I also love writing, arranging and recording my own ideas from the ground up, never been too big on just jamming over someone else's backing track, which I admit can be fun but the creative side of me tends to force my hand(s) into being as unique as I can be with this craft we all love, even when I do a cover for fun I try to find ways to spin it into my own thing as much as possible.

Mitch, Neil and Filipe, sounding great as always, gents!!:dude:

@Alter - REALLY sweet tones man, enjoyed the playing too. I especially liked the tone in "The Fly Catcher". :yesway:

5. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

Thanks man, i agree with you about making your own voice. In my case when i jam covers or on other backing tracks it gives me ideas and i spin them my way. i want to shred but i cant and im having hard time accepting it lol im not giving up on it tho, ill still try.

i do like heavy and fast music :)

6. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Thanks! On these videos (the two electric ones), all the sounds come from the Boss Gt-1 direct to soundcard. (Marshall model) The acoustic is direct into a boss rc-300 looper. Some processing on the daw too though..

7. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Great questions!!
    Middle age punk rocker here. self taught but always open to instruction and correction.
    Inspirations: Life, actos of kindness, the underdawg, david vs goliath, govt over reach, new world order, injustice, surfing,

working on new material. fidning I have some good ideas. Actually have a song I hear Perry Farrell's voice all over it.
    Would love to have my new project produced by Rick Rubin, or Daniel Lanois .

I would also like to have some MFer's add guitar solos to my project.

getting self contained workstation. tired of computer stuff, I want to record not become a software engineer. I want t write and get basic ideas down then take it to studio and let more experienced engineer work it

had protools. getting tascam dd24

goals: release new album, play small fun gigs and be a voice for liberty

will post some previous stuff soon

8. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

Acoustic guitars scare me :)

9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Me too, I can’t play them to save my ass ha ha
    Derek S thanks for the compliment brother I appreciate it..
    Cheers
    Mitch

10. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

I use to play more in my younger days, knew few local (Georgian)songs, but once i got electric guitar i didnt care much for acoustic all i wanted was chug chug chaga chug :)

Sapient, Crikey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

me too

@Crikey thanks man.

Lots of good stuff here!

I've been working in a new song lately. It was not an easy task. I was really in a bad place (mentally) in the last weeks and forcing me to compose something is really helping me to recover. Currently I'm writing the lyrics and the vocal parts. I hope finishing it in the next few days and I´ll share with you guys.

I think is great that we are building a healthy environment here where we can post our shit and talk about it being civilized to each other.

A question for you all: are you recording miced? I was into recording using isocabs, had two of those, but nowadays I'm recording from my attenuator to the computer and using IRs. Generally I blend 2 IRs so its more natural to my ears. what are your thoughts about it?

12. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

I mic the cab I dont have any other option other than using emulated out from amp which sound bad...

13. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm moving house, just got into the new one so am off line for a while....... I think my wife just busted me doing nothing.

Mitchell Pearrow and Sapient like this.
  14. Mitchell Pearrow

Understand all that I moved where I am in 2001, do not plan on doing it ever again.
    Cheers
    Mitch

Sapient, Ramo and Neil Skene like this.
  15. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't either, you got the hippest garage I've ever seen! - judging from the videos .. ;)

16. Sapient

Here's one I'll put in here. It's my 3rd take at the mix and ...stuff. I still haven't heard it on monitors but it "seems" ok in headphones.

Just a little incomplete idea I had:

Trumpet Rider, Ramo, Derek S and 3 others like this.
  17. Mitchell Pearrow

Thanks Alter

18. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Firing up a new tune today..
    Been ar 50cal SG mimi.jpg Been ar Or15 SG 120.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Sapient

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

sounds like a Zeppline, when its started I wanted to go aha aaaaa aaaa :) then I was like nope wrong song :)

sounds promising, can't wait for finished product :)

Mitchell Pearrow and Sapient like this.