Who was Ozzy’s best guitarist?

Who was Ozzy’s best guitarist during his solo career?

• Total voters

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Who is Brad gillis?

Enquiring minds want to know.
A founding member and guitar player of the 80's band Night Ranger, Brad Gillis was enlisted to complete Ozzy's tour immediately following the death of R.R. Live performance recordings were aired on local radio stations, one song of note was "Never Say Die". The version that was aired was of good quality, but I haven't found that exact version on YouTube. The song featured Gillis on guitar for that tour, and there is a part in it where he had made a mistake with a quick recovery. If I recall the source correctly, it was either a Bio by Ozzy, or perhaps the one by Rudy Sarzo, that explained Sharon's disappointment that night when Brad made that mistake, whereafter, at the following show, she said to him before he walked out onto to stage, "...and oh - by the way, Brad? Don't f*ck up again tonight".

Last edited:

Derek S

Reaction score
Personal pref of course, but for me, I thought Randy had the most interesting vibe, harmonically speaking anyway. Jake had the smoothest/cleanest playing (lead and especially rhythm) and by far the best tone and probably was my fav overall looking back. Zakk's playing just never spoke to me although I respect his savage live performances and staying power with Ozzy lol (not a lot of band members seem to stay around terribly long).

As afar as the pinch hitters go, Brad Gillis was great on such short notice, especially considering it was live, but Joe Holmes was a monster, especially the tones he brought!

mark123

Reaction score
I’ve got to say that Zakk’s albums were disappointing and when I saw him live with Ozzy it was rather boring. Never got into his stuff.

mark123

Reaction score
Personal pref of course, but for me, I thought Randy had the most interesting vibe, harmonically speaking anyway. Jake had the smoothest/cleanest playing (lead and especially rhythm) and by far the best tone and probably was my fav overall looking back. Zakk's playing just never spoke to me although I respect his savage live performances and staying power with Ozzy lol (not a lot of band members seem to stay around terribly long).

As afar as the pinch hitters go, Brad Gillis was great on such short notice, especially considering it was live, but Joe Holmes was a monster, especially the tones he brought!
that’s pretty much my feelings.

The album with Joe Holmes was like Ozzy reborn. Great player.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Out of those 2, Jake for sure. I do like Brad and Night Ranger though. My least favorite with Ozzy is Zakk. Randy was definitely fantastic. I think if Lynch had the chance to actually join Ozzy he could have possibly been the best.

mark123

Reaction score
Out of those 2, Jake for sure. I do like Brad and Night Ranger though. My least favorite with Ozzy is Zakk. Randy was definitely fantastic. I think if Lynch had the chance to actually join Ozzy he could have possibly been the best.
George Lynch?

Deftone

Reaction score
FWIW:

My personal favorites are Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Joe Holmes and Zakk Wylde, in no particular order. BG is up there too.

Iommi is the riff master, But RR is right there and kills Iommi in tech. ability.

Technical skill? RR, Jake, Zakk...

I LOVED ZW in the early years....Saw him live back in the early 90's? Jaw drop. But I don't really get into his newer work.

Just my humble opinions....as always YMMV.

Latest posts