Who is the best singer in rock music (new thread as my other one went off the rails).

Who has/had the best voice in rock music?

• Graham Bonnet

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Someone else (a wrong answer but put it below anyway)

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters

mark123

Reaction score
Quick Fact Check: False

Geoff Tate = 4 Octave Range

Axl Rose = 5 Octave Range

It’s not about my personal favorites (Axl is not my favorite) … if you are truly talking about the “best”, then you have to put aside feelings about favorites.
Captain Beefheart claimed a seven and a half octave range. I have no feelings, that's just projection. Captain and Axl both sound like doo doo.

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Love these!

So, for me Ozzy is just dreadful. Boring double tracking along with repetitive vocal melodies. When I used to cover Sabbath tracks I would forget were I was as it was so dull.

Axel Rose in his day was just awesome, raspy, aggressive, and original. Not many bands can cover his range. His voice sucks now.

Personally. Mike Patton is my favourite. 6 octaves, sings rock, metals, opera, classical….pure versatility and still sounds the same.

mark123

Reaction score
Some mentioned Layne Staley and Chris Cornell, so in 'that' vein, I'd have to add Scott Weiland - fantastic vocal chops.
I don't get that.

Cornell was the only one that I could put on the list.

Kenny C

Reaction score
If we're talking popular rock among the masses, not sub groups and obscure groups of the music listening population, let's at least put Burton Cummings on the list. He's got/had a full spectrum rock voice. I know, I know, Mercury is king, but Cummings has/had a great voice, and The GW had a great run back in their day. And although I love Plant's voice, there's no doubt he was lacking in total control and intonation, (which in my opinion is not a bad thing). I can't imagine anybody else fronting LZ. Just thought I'd throw BC in the thread....

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Captain Beefheart claimed a seven and a half octave range. I have no feelings, that's just projection. Captain and Axl both sound like doo doo.

There are a lot of people who have been touted as amongst the best, and just as you feel toward Axl, I was never a fan. RJD is a prime example for me (though, just because I don’t care for him doesn’t mean he wasn’t incredibly talented, which he was). That’s not a discussion about the best, however, as that’s just personal preferences. It’s ok, I get it.

mark123

Reaction score
If we're talking popular rock among the masses
We're not.
not sub groups and obscure groups of the music listening population, let's at least put Burton Cummings on the list. He's got/had a full spectrum rock voice. I know, I know, Mercury is king, but Cummings has/had a great voice, and The GW had a great run back in their day. And although I love Plant's voice, there's no doubt he was lacking in total control and intonation, (which in my opinion is not a bad thing). I can't imagine anybody else fronting LZ. Just thought I'd throw BC in the thread....
I had to look him up but yeah. Burton is welcome in the list.

Last edited:

mark123

Reaction score
There are a lot of people who have been touted as amongst the best, and just as you feel toward Axl, I was never a fan. RJD is a prime example for me (though, just because I don’t care for him doesn’t mean he wasn’t incredibly talented, which he was). That’s not a discussion about the best, however, as that’s just personal preferences. It’s ok, I get it.
RJD is a great singer. I get that some could consider him best, even. However, he really wasn't excellent until his solo career. His first two solo albums were near perfection. The music sort of fell off after that and became ... uhh ... less good.

His work with Rainbow and Sabbath was just ok. I'm sure it had to do with being the new guy and not being allowed to have decisions. I think the fact that his solo stuff shined proves that.

RJD, I'm a fan but his non-solo stuff has me questioning his inclusion in my list. Hmmm, I'll allow it.

circusinthesky

Reaction score
I’ll say one thing for Bonnet, he’s LOUD. I mean, that guy’s vocal projection is just amazing. It makes the harshness of his voice on Hiroshima that much more wincing. There’s a certain charm there, though.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
RJD is a great singer. I get that some could consider him best, even. However, he really wasn't excellent until his solo career. His first two solo albums were near perfection. The music sort of fell off after that and became ... uhh ... less good.

His work with Rainbow and Sabbath was just ok. I'm sure it had to do with being the new guy and not being allowed to have decisions. I think the fact that his solo stuff shined proves that.

RJD, I'm a fan but his non-solo stuff has me questioning his inclusion in my list. Hmmm, I'll allow it.

My favorite female vocalist has always been Whitney Houston. Was in love with her voice from the very first note, and I can’t imagine anyone will ever replace her for me. Was she the best? Dunno, but definitely up there!

Reaction score
Kurt Cobaine,
Laine Staley,
Mic Jagger, one of the greatest.
Perry Farrell, unique voice
Al Jorgensen, ministry rules!
ozzy,
Dave Ghrol, funny that Kurt himself was the one who told me that their new drummer is a really good singer-songwriter, voila.
Joe Lynn Turner, belts notes out.

Reaction score
My favorite female vocalist has always been Whitney Houston. Was in love with her voice from the very first note, and I can’t imagine anyone will ever replace her for me. Was she the best? Dunno, but definitely up there!
I used to hang with Nicky Kalliongis/Clive Davis A&R in the past and Whitney had a great voice, but not into rock lol, Alyiah was into Rock

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
The problem, as cross pointed out, is you're making the case of personal preferences.

I was talking w/ a guy, who has been involved in the industry for years (& this convo, was back in the '80s), where we were talking about "best singers", or "who's better", or whatnot. He then posed the question, "who do you think is a better singer: Michael Jackson, or Bryan Adams?"

The obvious answer is Michael Jackson, but... many would say Bryan Adams, because they like his music, or style better. The truth is Jacko could do circles around him vocally & musically...

I see some names mentioned above, that have virtually zero vocal talent, but are listed here anyway. Strange how that works, eh? :shrug:

The problem w/ singers & categorizing them as best, is... what are they best at? One of my biggest problems w/ shows like American Idol, is, you could have say Pavarotti on there & 1st week, they have rap as the genre to cover & he'd be disqualified on day 1, even though he probably had more vocal talent then most of the rest of the contestants...

There are a lot of great/excellent singers, but, what are they great/excellent at? Are they a 1 trick pony, that does that trick like nobody else? Or, are they versatile where they can do so many things excellent, or are they very versatile that they don't sound bad at anything, but, not excellent at anything either?

I like Graham at some things. One thing that works against him, is he has no writing ability, so he relies on doing vocal lines, many x's not written by vocalists... Considering, I think he did really well in MSG, but, that was Michael's complaint about him (that Michael had to write vocal parts), well, that, & he was more interested in backstage activities, than on stage (activities)... Graham though, also is not very versatile. He has a high range, but he sings in that range/style always on. You could say 1 trick pony.

Mark Boals is a great, versatile singer.

mark123

Reaction score
Yeah, some listed in this thread are really talentless. I don't get why a lot were listed, i mean Mick Jagger? Really??

I'm just glad no one said Jeff Scott Soto. 😁

Dirty-D

Reaction score
Who cares about the singer.Every body knows the drums are all that really matters. But it has to be John Lawton or Freddy Mercury

Latest posts