Who is the best singer in rock music (new thread as my other one went off the rails).

Who has/had the best voice in rock music?

• Graham Bonnet

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Someone else (a wrong answer but put it below anyway)

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters

mark123

Reaction score
I asked who is you favorite singer last time but I meant to ask who is the best. Some of you wrote things like Ozzy and it hit me that I asked wrong. Ozzy may be a favorite but the best is something he's not even close to.

So let's keep this one on the topic of best voice. Technical skill mixed with persona and depth. Again, my choice is Graham Bonnet. That guy is a rock king!

Last edited:

playloud

Reaction score
Technically, Johnny Rotten. He can cut through anything!

Edit: to elaborate on my answer a bit... I think being a "technically good" rock singer is all about how you use/manipulate your voice to suit the context (no matter how limited). A really good example is in the isolated vocals from 'Under Pressure':

Freddie Mercury does all his usual stuff - excellent breath control, smooth and controlled vibrato/glissando etc (boring). And Bowie comes barging in at 0:33, speak-singing (there's a fancy European term for that too) in a slightly sassy way, knowing full well that with enough plate reverb + compression, he'll end up sounding massive too, and most people will be none the wiser. Prince was good at this too.

Last edited:

South Park

Reaction score
if you are talking real singing karin carpender and neal young some how get it right

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Wait a second. Alive or dead? Touring or retired? Voice ruined forever or only 3 1/2 octave range instead of 4 1/2? And whadaya mean by "rock"?

Frodebro

Reaction score
There is no “best.” There are many greats, some have achieved iconic status, but there is no overall “best.”

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score

Lol, sorry, couldn't help myself. Glad you took it lightly. :cheers:

I really can't pick one.

Halford maybe.

Phil Anselmo on his first 2 albums with Pantera and Flemming Ronsdorf from Artillery are up there too imo.

All 3 have great range but there are so many other singers that are just as good with or without that range. Paul Rodgers springs to mind.

Edit: sorry if my first 3 picks above don't count because they're metal. :facepalm:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I remember your last thread started off with a condemnation of Axl Rose, but technically, you can’t leave Axl off the list if this is truly about the best singers rather than favorites, as I believe his vocal range was discovered to have been amongst the greatest in rock history ... which is to say, while threads like this are fun, it’s impossible not to be influenced by personal favorites/tastes.

mark123

Reaction score
I remember your last thread started off with a condemnation of Axl Rose, but technically, you can’t leave Axl off the list if this is truly about the best singers rather than favorites, as I believe his vocal range was discovered to have been amongst the greatest in rock history ... which is to say, while threads like this are fun, it’s impossible not to be influenced by personal favorites/tastes.
You can however weigh the strengths and weaknesses of each singer and categorically come up with an answer. For example, Geoff Tate's range far exceeds Rose's and Tate can sing more than two songs in a live setting without losing his voice. Axl is not in the running.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan mentioned once that a great singer must also have a pleasing timbre in his voice. That is also a quality that must be considered.

Tate is probably #2.

I do understand that Guns N' Roses is a favorite because they came into their own while a lot of people were discovering music. I just don't get the draw. Slash isn't a terrible player but he's not a guitar hero. I do admit he's above mediocre. However, I do not understand how Axl can be placed in a greatest singer category at all. his voice is more grating than great. He is a big personality, I do get that. That's his job, he does it well. The rest is absolutely quantifiable.

Last edited:

Latest posts