Who here has HAD a “Plexi”…

V-man

Reaction score
I guess I don't get it. Many of you want Plexi but augment it whether it's simply a jumper or running a set of 10 pedals in front and in some cases modify with an extra gain tube.

Admittedly I've never played through one. Even something like a jumper is adding a bit more gain and tone control.

I submit you can get the same sound from a 2204.
Run in low input with the preamp down and the MV up for loud clean and a little tube breakup. You can tweak the PV up higher and bring down the MV a bit each to get a slightly higher gain. You can go into High input with the PV down and MV up for a similar tone. PV higher lower MV for real nice overdrives all while using guitar volume and tone knobs to control when you want just a bit of a loud fill then pull it right back down.
Point 1: Perhaps with the exception of a JVM-type platform or a player who is ascetic about one genre of clean/straight amp play, the vast majority of Marshall/electric guitar players are guilty of the same, regardless of platform. The most comical in my opinion are the FB Metal guys who swear up and down a 2203 isn’t acceptable for modern metal with its boost requirements, whereas same jackasses maintain the need of some sort of boost for compression of their “Mes-oldan-eavey” amp.

There is absolutely something to running a 4-holer with the right treble boost, fuzz, or OD (not what you’re on about adding extra tubes as some common practice for others, but I’m interested in experimenting w a Hot Mod for any/all JMP amp.) REGARDLESS, there is nothing as rewarding as plugging into a 4-holer straight in compared with ANY other amp I have owned. It is the ONLY amp I could be fully content being gifted one in some hypothetical on the sole condition that I can only play it straight-in. All others would disappoint… maybe not a JVM, but never played one.

Point 2: your assertion about getting the same sound out of a 2204 has less validity than attempting the same with a top modeler, IMO. Conceivably, I can concede that with some effort dialing and rolling the guitar volume, you can make the two amps intersect at points. But the voicing is fixed with each. Both are bright, mid-focused cousins, but the 2203/4 is more raw/aggressive, and I don’t think you can dial that out effectively (certainly not as well as the best modeler) to match a wide-open 4-holer. Also, the clean on my 6550 JMP‘s lo sensitivity is far mellower and “clean” than any input of my EL-34 driven 1959. It is NOT a ”plexi” channel at all, but a surprising clean channel and ultimate pedal platform. My 1959 has 1/6 a turn of clean on the volume before rocketing off to 70s rock at 2 on the volume.

Addressing the heart of your point beyond sound (and abandoning the modeler silliness), however close you can dial in to cop a 1987 with a 2204 or a 2204 with a DSL, it does not feel or respond the same. 2203/4s are touch-sensitive and unforgiving of slop, but nothing touches a 1959/87 in this regard. This is the real magic of the Plexi, to me… setting the volume in between ”destroy coffee shop” and just shy of a bigger club and you can feather in clean bells or send a percussive downstroke into screaming hard rock without touching the guitar volume. Close cousin, different animal.

Plexitim

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great conversation thread! I never owned an original era Plexi but do have 100 watt SLP reissues: 1994 era 1959s supposedly based on 1968 circuit and modded a little. As a musician not an engineer I think there is some hard to describe 'something' tonally in the sound these produce. These run EL-34s but I am sure it is more than just that. Hafta push them pretty hard to get there but the 'Whole Lotta Rosie' sound is quite something. Touching on what several have said here, I personally prefer a 2204 50 watt sound - a little warmer and darker - but then again those are a completely different animal. Seems like 2204 MV does not do Plexi well. And vice versa.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
All Valid. I guess I would have to play one next to one of my 2204s to hear the differences whether striking or subtle.

I used to practice 12-16 hours a day and got very accurate for many years, my process was to try to get into the mind of the player I was attempting, Page first, then Jimi, SRV, EVH, Satriani. After having no performances since Covid I could not claim that at this moment but when a show decides to come up I would need a good month of hard core practice to get that back. I've been through that before so I know its just riding a bike but endurance becomes the factor.

Most likely I would be trying to get the 1959/87 to sound like my 2204. If I can't get my sound I'll make a sound that works for me. e.g change style of play and attack etc. I used to have pedals but as I got older and experienced less of those were needed. I really like straight in with fx loop for reverb and delay which changes intensity depending on the venue and any natural reverbs that are available.

agejaded

Reaction score
I’m not sure if an AFD 100 counts as a plexi?
I had one running into a 1960AX, the sound was fantastic however I sold it.
I don’t gig so the volume potential was no use, I don’t have a sound isolated room to play in and it was so heavy, I hated having to move it.
I still own Marshall’s (2266C, 2525C & 5205) and a Cornell Plexi 7.
I can’t see any reason to buy another a Marshall, but I still dream about the sound of a 50W Head into a stack :)

V-man

Reaction score
I’m not sure if an AFD 100 counts as a plexi?
I had one running into a 1960AX, the sound was fantastic however I sold it.
I don’t gig so the volume potential was no use, I don’t have a sound isolated room to play in and it was so heavy, I hated having to move it.
I still own Marshall’s (2266C, 2525C & 5205) and a Cornell Plexi 7.
I can’t see any reason to buy another a Marshall, but I still dream about the sound of a 50W Head into a stack :)
Much further removed than any of the sigs. I know the “34” mode is a modded JCM 800, and the other is the “appetite” mode (appetite being a modded tremolo, IIRC). I don’t know how they put that together as a “Superlead circuit” (+/- what slash‘s amp had going on), or if it has the 4-holer voice w/o the feel and dynamics. Very cool amp either way.

Mine is a 1959 RR and I believe that counts, minus Ch2 (and the consequential inability to jumper), and I assume the YJM “should” be with a boost and gate. When toggle buttons and power scaling (much less a loop) enter the circuit, I really don’t know how that augments or takes away from making such an amp feel/respond like a plexi (if there is any appreciable difference at all).

mark123

Reaction score
I had (actually “have” but that’s another story) a 1972 Super Bass. I believe that’s a model 1992. It was wildly unreliable but sounded amazing when it worked properly. Not exactly a “plexi” I guess.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score

Hendrix played with his back to the cabinets anywhere between 10 to 20 feet away. I played a 200w Sunn Concert lead through a 6x10 cabinet a full volume at gigs in the early 80s without any hearing loss. The hurt zone in my experience is facing the cabinets from 20 to 50 feet away in a closed space. Curious what other people think.
In my experience, the biggest cause of hearing damage from playing loud music in confined spaces is from cymbals.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
With ear protection I've run two of my Superleads in stereo, each running a full stack, both dimed.

It's a very physical experience. And it literally knocks framed paintings and photos off the walls.

It seems to be good at encouraging the rats that sometimes get into my attic, to leave and not come back for months.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Johan Segeborn recommends the Mini Jube for bedroom volume and prefers it over the 1 W anniversary amps:

screenshot2022-06-27acsju6.png

I guess the Silver Jubilee is what I moved on to in a way. But I was Jube player before I was a plexi player. One never replaced the other. They both remain on parallel but seperate paths.

Silverdome

Reaction score
I have a Plexi story that is the start of my Plexi story. Before last Xmas I demoed an SV20H that was just over $1000. It seemed like the SC20H factor was starting to take place and the prices were coming down for a hot minute. I went and tried and have to say with humbuckers it was THE SOUND. Effortless Ramones with the two finger bar chord and the open a, d was effortless AC/DC.

Getting a Plexi clone soon...handwired Rockett Retro and couldn't be more fired up. One other note I have about my Plexi experience with a strat the clean sound was stunning. That was my biggest surprise about my first Plexi experience but then it was the realization that Hendrix has all those songs he is playing clean and sounds amazing. That's how he did it.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right? We didn’t know anything:D

Older hippy guys showed me the ropes. Pull your tubes, mark them with tape to know which socket to put them back into after testing, take them to the drug store, and test em. Thrifty Drug Store had a big tube testing machine, with replacement tubes in a drawer below it. That was all I knew of amp servicing, when I was a teenager in the 70’s.

I don’t think I heard of amp bias, or met an actual tech, till I was almost 30;)
This^^^,… absolutely!

This post brought back soooo many great memories! I remember there was a local electronics store down the road from where I was living.

It was about 3/4 mile from my house, I recall walking to that electronics store with one of my band mates, each of us with a bag of tubes in our hands. (neither of us old enough to drive)

On our way to test our tubes on their tube testing machine in the corner of the store, lol! Yup, as @Salty Rose said, techs, as far as we were concerned, were for when the amp didn’t work, not much else att, lol.

Thanks for the memories Salty!

Randall Caprenzi

Reaction score
I tried the Studio Vintage a few times, I really liked it but even at 5 W I found the volume needed till it sounded great was too painful so it just became a pedal platform amp that was kind of a pain in the ass to dial in with the bright cap and didn't have a ton of headroom. Now have JTM 45 reissue which I use and prefer as a pedal platform.

Ricky610

Reaction score
I have a Plexi story that is the start of my Plexi story. Before last Xmas I demoed an SV20H that was just over $1000. It seemed like the SC20H factor was starting to take place and the prices were coming down for a hot minute. I went and tried and have to say with humbuckers it was THE SOUND. Effortless Ramones with the two finger bar chord and the open a, d was effortless AC/DC.

Getting a Plexi clone soon...handwired Rockett Retro and couldn't be more fired up. One other note I have about my Plexi experience with a strat the clean sound was stunning. That was my biggest surprise about my first Plexi experience but then it was the realization that Hendrix has all those songs he is playing clean and sounds amazing. That's how he did it.
I have 2 of the 1987x reissues and I love the way they respond. I also have an origin 50 that I modded( put in kt 66 power tubes) so I run a stereo rig ( 1 87x with the origin) That way I can run a clean tone but have the extra crunch from the origin when I hit the boost button on the floor switch. Really sweet and would recommend this set up for any one. I play classic rock/ southern rock

AustinPaul

Reaction score
KT66 or 6L6 on that JTM45? Do you miss EL34s?
KT66s. No, I don't miss EL34s because I've never heard the amp any other way and can't imagine how it could possibly sound any better. Also, I have another amp that's 50w w/ EL34s. Got my old Fender w/ 6L6s as well as my 100w Lonestar, but none of them kick me in the gut like that JTM.

Latest posts