Who doesn't use/like pedal boards?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Maggot Brain, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to make this topic for awhile, I see that pedalboards are kinda the norm these days when using effect pedals. I just can't get into them, I don't know why because it is a great solution but I'm just old school I guess and like my pedals on the floor.

I like my pedals strewn about the floor with space between them and using 9volt zinc batteries, I don't like using power supplies either. Maybe it's OCD? I can't stand any extra wires down at my feet, power leads running to each pedal AND then the patch cables... Even when done neatly on a orginized pedal board I just can't get into putting my pedals on a board. You'd think OCD would motivate me to use a clean, organized pedal board... idk... I just don't like the idea of all the pedals in 1 spot tightly side by side...

*edit*
    I mean to say does anyone prefer their effect pedals on the floor rather than using a pedalboard to organize them neatly together?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Well-Known Member

The classic fuzz/dist/od pedal with a wah pedal is a time-honored setup and acceptable, IMO. If one wants an echoplex inline, I guess I can see that as well. But for myself, I like to keep as much as possible AFTER the amp with regard to Echo, Chorus, Flanging, Reverb. Take a tap off the speaker juice with a Palmer attenuator & feed it to a separate amp for effects (WET), leaving the main amplifier DRY. Keep your pedal-board simple.

3. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Well-Known Member

I guess I didn't really answer your question- lol

4. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

The line between pre-amp and pedal is blurring more. So the argument about 'direct to amp' for the purest electric guitar tones doesn't hold up as well as it once did.

It all depends on where it gets you in the end. Whatever works for achieving the tone you want.

Old Punker and Maggot Brain like this.
  5. fitz288

fitz288 Space-Time Curver Silver Supporting Member

I think the question is getting confused with use pedals, or not use pedals.
    I read the question as anally organized pedal board, or pedals scattered all over the floor.
    I keep my individual pedals on a board or stand, but I don't change them around at all.
    But I can see that lots of players are continuously changing their pedals for different tones, so that would make a fixed board a PITA when you're in search of tone.
    Having a grab-n-go set up would seem a necessity for gigging, so there's that too.
    Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I answered the question either.
    Screw it anyway, my favorite pedal is my ME-80, so there.

6. BRMarshall

BRMarshall Member

At 40 years of playing, I bought a pedal board a couple months ago. I’m mostly an acoustic player (singer?), but enjoy electric guitars at home. I’m using it with an Origin20h. It has a gold Archer, OCD-Ge, and TS5 in the front. An EQ, Chorus, and Reverb through the fx loop. Using 1-spot power supply with all power through a Furman power conditioner/strip. It is handy - providing a variety of OD tones and a few other effects in a relatively small area. I don’t play very loud, but it is all very quiet at my levels, and no batteries to buy or mess with.

OCD is something a lot of folks don’t appreciate - it can facilitate achievement in focused areas. It can also cover your refrigerator with lots of data. I have the daily readings from my electric meter, mower gas purchased/used for the past few years, etc. My fiancé is a therapist. She tells me there’s medicine ... I assure her that I don’t need it ;)

7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Not being a gigging musician, and liking a pure, simple tone, I use very little in the way of effects. So all that's on the floor is a clean booster, either my Seymour Duncan Pickup booster or my Tube Screamer, in either case set to max clean output.

For those times when I want a fuller, lush tone with effects, I use my Fractal modeller, which does have its own pedal board. But my Marshalls get a lot more use than it does these days.

8. Maggot Brain

Ok, I edited the original post as I think what I was intending to discuss was misunderstood.

I do enjoy the replies so far none the less and think they can fall in with the intended topic.

I love pedals but definitely think too many can cloud the signal, I think that is part of why I'm not digging using a pedalboard to organize my effect pedals on.
    I admit sometimes when I'm bored I'll chain up ALL my effects and experiment and play around with them but that isn't often.

I think the concept of a pedalboard to organize and conveniently transport your effects is a great idea and honestly if I was gigging regularly I might give in just for the convincing of not having to set up my goto pedals on the floor every gig... But I do like having them on the floor and spaced out using 5' leads/patches.

Old Punker likes this.
  9. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

its all them damn maggots thats what it is :p

10. Maggot Brain

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
    For y'all have knocked her up.
    I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe...
    I was not offended,
    for I knew I had to rise above it all
    or drown in my own shit.... So free your mind and your ass will fallow, because super stupid with his ups and downs,
    his maggot brain, his grins and frowns...
    super stupid is here today,
    but he's lost the fight and the winner is fear!

Maggots in teh brainz.

11. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

A pedalboard is mostly good for transporting pedals back and forth. If you always leave your pedals in the same place in the space where you play, then you don't need a pedal board. Just put them on the floor. But if you ever move them, it is really nice to have them all on a board that you can just pick it up and move.

I built my own custom board and I love it because it is made to my exact specification. When I'm done playing I just pull the plugs on the battery-powered pedals and slide the whole thing out of the middle of the floor. If I gigged it would be indespensible.

12. Maggot Brain

Yeah, I definitely agree and that convenience sounds valuable. Even when I was gigging tho, I always transported my pedals and cables in an old timey leather doctors bag, I personally found that more convenient than a board, granted I usually use no more than 3 maybe 4 pedals at a time.

I've played with the idea to make my own as I really don't like the common designs of most pedal boards. I'd prefer something extremely low profile, something that doesn't sit much higher than the floor... Maybe a somewhat thin piece of wood and make a lid that can attach for transporting but when in use it would allow the pedals to be almost floor level.

Still, I'm not that motivated but maybe it would be a fun project.

Old Punker likes this.
  13. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I can't commit to a fixed/pro level type pedal board like you see on YT ect...

I'm always changing my mind and rearranging & subbing out different things.
    So, I just use a half folded small throw blanket as a "pedal board".

Old Punker likes this.
  14. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

If only using 1 or 2 pedals, then a board is ridiculous.

15. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

16. Maggot Brain

upload_2021-4-20_17-27-8.png

Here is Omar Rodriguez Lopez of The Mars Volta's pedal board, nothing fancy...

Old Punker likes this.
  17. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's only a matter of time....until some company comes up with a modelling pedalboard that does for pedals what a top range modelling amp does for guitar amps.

I don't mean a floor controller that connects to a brain in your rack. I mean a single pedalboard with a good number of footswitches, at least two expression pedals, and controls with every footswitch so you can model pretty much any effect anybody cares about, with all the user controls you'd expect of them, and the flexibility to rearrange them all very easily.

18. ricksdisconnected

here, watch to see Vernon's rig.

Phoenix and Maggot Brain like this.
  19. ricksdisconnected

heres a guy that can take something very complex
    and make it parallel just as complex but very usable.
    Bob Bradshaw, the first name in custom racks and boards.
    the man the very best go to for ideas.

DaDoc, Old Punker and zachman like this.
  20. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Pretty sure there are a few of those already? Fractal, L6, Zoom, Boss and I guess the H9 is kinda that on a smaller scale?

I get the ease of use but I’m old and I think pedals are wicked cool lol. If I want to travel light and use a modeler I will and I have but sometimes only a big loud amp will do. And if you are gonna lug a head and 4x12, you may as well throw a pedalboard over your shoulder too.