White Whale...

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by FleshOnGear, Jan 13, 2021.

1. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

What amp, Marshall or other brand, is the one you have wanted and sought the longest? The amp that you can either never find, or never can afford when you see one for sale?

For me it’s the Ampeg ET-1A Echo Twin. It’s the amp Frampton used for his lead tone. It has two separate 6V6 amps in one chassis and the most 3D sounding reverb and trem I’ve ever heard. Not to mention, fantastic overdrive tone when cranked. Let me know if you ever see one for sale!

jmp45 likes this.
  2. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Mesa Tremoverb. Always wanted to put my mits on one but never had the opportunity. Never one in the Mesa Hollywood store or here at my local dealers. The day I do find one I probably wont be able to afford it if I do like it. Wanted one ever since I saw Lindsey Buckingham play one.

jmp45 and Maggot Brain like this.
  3. FleshOnGear

So, you’ve never played one?

4. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

Mine was a 1966 single transformer JTM45/100. I have a clone, and found a real one in a shop. I took the clone in to A/B them and was amazed at how close they sounded. With some EQ work they could sound identical. I discussed a possible trade deal for two guitars and two amps plus some cash with the owner, but realized that with my clone I was just paying for the name plate. I decided not to buy it and that's actually what got me in the clone realm.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  5. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

SLO 100... no doubt.

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

To build a SLO 50 clone . Now on to the SLO 100 With all the good stuff

7. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I want to re-acquire a JMP 2204 or possibly a JCM800 2203!
    Used to own a '79 JMP2204 that was bone stock and KILLER, had to sell to help pay my wife's medical bills before she passed. Would love to get another, OR try the 2203!

8. RCM 800

nope.

9. RCM 800

Never got to play a SLO but plugged into a Reverb-O-Sonic combo in a little north Hollywood shop in the 90's. Came back a week later with the cash but it was already gone. That was a badass amp.

10. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

Traded a Deluxe Reverb RI for one in brand new shape a few years ago. Hated it. Even took it to a tech to make sure nothing was wrong with it. Traded it for a Mark III blue stripe to someone.

RCM 800 likes this.
  11. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Overdrive Special by Dumble. I played the combo at a guitar show back in the late 90s. I always entertain the thought of some lucky day I will score a head, or preferably a combo.

jmp45 likes this.
  12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

You should look into the amps Ceriatone makes of these. I don’t know if they are any good but it’s sure worth a try. I would never pay the money for a Dumble, but if I could get super close or maybe spot on I would buy one of them.
    Hell all of these amps of simple circuits could be made by someone like Nik. He is making me a custom amp very soon, very cool guy to work with.

13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That’s exactly what you would have bought, the name plate. Smart move, I never get why people will pay way more money for the same sound. Plus the new amp is most likely better made and will last forever.

FutureProf88 and RCM 800 like this.
  14. FleshOnGear

The Mark III is one I’ve wanted for awhile, but whenever I have the funds there’s always something else I’d rather have. I used to have a Mk IV combo, but the Mk III I played years ago had some mojo I could never get out of the IV.

Right now I’m focused on NMV amps and low watt combos, the ET-1A in particular, so the Mk III will have to wait.

15. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Nope. No need for any amps. I have my dreamteam . jcm800,900dr, plexi. Done

FleshOnGear likes this.
  16. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

I want an original 1959 in decent STOCK condition. Doesn't have to be pretty as long as it's unmolested except for the normal parts that wear out.

All I see around here these days is reissues and ones that have had all kinds of transgender surgery.

jmp45 likes this.
  17. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Hope you find one Trel, that is the quintessential Marshall in my book. Everyone on this board should have one or two. I'm good with what I have but would really like to land a Kemper just for the hell of it to see what that thing is all about.

Trelwheen likes this.
  18. Trelwheen

I can understand that. I wouldn't mind jacking around with a Kemper for a little while

Man if I'd have kept all my amps over the years I would have a couple of nice 1959s but back then they were just about a dime a dozen and all these other cool new amps were coming out....you know the thing

jmp45 likes this.
  19. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Oh you know it.. While your looking, get a 1987 too.

Trelwheen likes this.
  20. Trelwheen

I have a 1987. I love it but I still miss the deeper, wider, sturdier sound and feel of the 1959. I tend to like 100 watt heads more than 50s for most purposes

jmp45 likes this.