Which pickups for my les paul

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by mrjones2004x, Oct 21, 2020.

1. mrjones2004x

mrjones2004x Member

Hi,

haven’t posted a while and needs some help.
    I’ve got two lp type guitars. An epiphone les Paul custom with probuckers I think installed and a burny les Paul with Seymour Duncan jb and jazz.

the jb and jazz are to hot for me. The epi sounds way thicker and beefier than the burny with s/d pups.

I wanna swap the Duncan’s for something similar to the thick meaty probuckers but something with a bit more clarity as they can be a tad mufflers. I want a smooth neck tone like Gary Moore and a good classic rock blues tone overall. I was thinking a set of s/d 59s or Gibson 57s?

What you guys recommend?

trax1139 likes this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I find the Jazz a great neck pup in fact have it on 3 guitars (I use a push-push tone pot to spilt it too) I have SD Screamin Demon (not as hot as it sounds) bridge in one, a Gibson BB-3 in another and Antiquity in another. I have BKP Mules in my R0 which are also v nice.

Rod likes this.
  3. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Mk1 Burny VH-1s :yesway:

4. mrjones2004x

mrjones2004x Member

I assumed when I got the guitar it had the vh1 pickups and I had loads of buzz so I open the cavity to find corroded pots on a 2 year old guitar. Put in new cts post and orange drop caps and still buzzed so I pulled the pups to check they wasn’t the same to find s/d jb and jazz. Didn’t know they’d be changed. buzz was fixed with shielding the cavity.

the jazz is really bitey and not smooth to my ears. With the tone on zero it sounds more like I want for a neck pickup. The jb is just too hot

5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Maybe modded?

If the jazz is "too much", kinda suspect it has a Ceramic or AlNiCo8 hiding under the tape

Rod likes this.
  6. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Blown Member* Gold Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, or 59's maybe, if you're looking for classic level output?

Antmax likes this.
  7. mrjones2004x

mrjones2004x Member

Yes classic rock sound. From zeppelin to guns & roses. Gary Moore neck solo sound and slash’s lead sound from November rain for the neck pickup.

the jazz is muncher thinner than the epiphone Humbucker. The epiphone sounds more mellow and smooth

thanks so far.

not sure what Seth lovers are so I’ll look into them

8. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

490R and 498T. Is there anything else but them?

:2c:

dragonvalve and Marshall Boogie like this.
  9. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest a T-top clone since it was a Epiphone Les Paul Custom, but Gibson 498T and 490R set would be closer to your criteria.

10. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

498T and 490R!!! its what is in my studio....great pickups, no mud...fantastic sound and really roll off nicely. (to me burstbucker pro pickups sound like they are trying to be the sound of an acoustically plucked string, never cared for that type of sound).

11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Gibson burstbucker 1 and 2 are super nice pickups, can be found used under a hundred bucks each. :yesway:

Musicmaniac, neikeel and junk notes like this.
  12. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

Can you adjust the pickups farther away from the strings to decrease output?

junk notes likes this.
  13. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

PAF type solves your problem.... Been swapping/experimenting with different low output pickups and I settled between Duncan 59's and DiMarzio PAF Masters.....

14. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I had that set in my CS '54 Jeff Beck LP. :yesway: I have not checked out the Pro's yet, but as you say, the BB 1 and 2 are super nice. Have you heard them in a Custom? They compliment a Standard soo nice IMO. I am assuming .022 bumblebee or .05 black beauty's for the win. 50s or modern is up to preference, or what sounds best. YMMV

15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yeah I have 57 reissue goldtop, bb1&2, bumblebee caps, i prefer modern wiring which surprisingly it came with.

16. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I presume you used 500k pots? Not 300 and used 50s wiring. I use PIO Jensens or sprague BB caps but suspect benefit is marginal. Something is odd if your Jazz is shouty or ‘mucher thinner’ as you say, most weird as they are normally v smooth/flutey in full bucker mode.
    I’ve got BB1&2 in a LP kept in C-C tuning and I do like them. Same for the 57s in my 335, when you have the right pups in the right guitar you will know!!

17. mrjones2004x

mrjones2004x Member

Yes 500k cts pots. Modern wiring with the cap wired third lug to earth/potb chasis think from memory

18. mrjones2004x

mrjones2004x Member

It’s not thin like it’s split but very bright compared to a normal neck pup would be in my opinion. More cutting than mellow. I read online people say it’s not smooth and can be harsh so assumed was the characteristics of the pickup. It doesn’t sound bad like it’s broke or wired wrong just not as I’d like

would 50s wiring be better?

19. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER Member

20. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

My favorite pickup is the 57 classic.